Why Does it Take AT&T almost a year to get a new HTC Phone, but 3 weeks for Iphony,

Why Does it Take AT&T almost a year to get a new HTC Phone, but 3 weeks for Iphony,

[ Edited ]

That's It, I'm Done , I'm riding out My Contract and I'm Gone. SWBWireless since 1995 , was happy till ATT Merger, it's been crappy and non caring ever since , I've been Strongly thinking of Leaving, but I don't care very much for the other Carriers , I want my Cingular Back , anyway I don't like Sprint , but I borrowed my friends Evo the other day for a few hours, and Wow !!!! But When I heard about the new Iphony I was like oh brother, but when I found out yesterday that it will be available to buy 3 weeks after it was announced I lost it. I remember when HTC first released it's TP2 Info, I was in Love, I loved my TILT 1 and the Fuze was garbage, and I couldn't wait to get the TP2 , but wait I had too, it seemed like a year and a half, and even six months after everybody else had it before I could get mine, I was very upset about that, but At&t continues to go down the Drain and with this latest move I just wanna go somewhere where the customers actually matter, I hope sprint has changed their ways, that Evo is very tempting, put a keyboard on it and I'm sold !SWB/Cingular I miss You, I always will you treated me so good. ATT I hope you choke and Go bankrupt !

Message 1 of 20 (2,281 Views)
Professor

Re: Why Does it Take AT&T almost a year to get a new HTC Phone, but 3 weeks for Iphony,

[ Edited ]

Actually iPhone took 348 days to be updated to iPhone 4 from 3GS. Lesser with all the 'Found in a bar' hype in California, Taiwan, etc after April's announcement of iOS4 which was nearly 120 days ago.

The Tilt2 was released on October 6, 2009. So that's 254 days from June 20's new HTC phone. Android was first announced on January 6th which was 165 days ago.

So it didn't take a year to get a new HTC Phone nor the Android Phone. But I do understand your anger as everyone else has the Android Phone but AT&T excluding the Motorola Backflip as it's a cheap ended phone that hardly deserves the Android name.

Message 16 of 20 (1,262 Views)
Professor

Re: Why Does it Take AT&T almost a year to get a new HTC Phone, but 3 weeks for Iphony,

But the initiator of this string is right, the title does say "almost a year" and your anaysis just proved it.  Smiley Wink

Message 17 of 20 (1,219 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

[ Edited ]

@ The OP, if you really want a high-end Android phone w/a landscape keyboard you might be waiting a while... The Galaxy S Pro and the Droid 2 seem to be the only candidates so far. The first has been rumored for Sprint, shots already leaked w/their logo and apps on-board (makes sense as a Samsung Momet replacent too). The latter is obviously gonna be a Verizon exclusive... Neither has a definite date tho the Droid 2 looks much closer to release than the Galaxy S Pro.

That being said, you should try out Swype, 'specially on a screen as large as the EVO's... I just joined the beta yesterday and WOW, it blew my mind. I heard a lot about how much faster and accurate than regular soft keyboards Swype is, but I didn't think it'd be THIS good.

I timed myself on my EVO w/Swype and later on a Samsung Impression (feature phone but it has one of the better slider/landscape keyboards out there). Honestly I was just as fast, if not faster, on the EVO; and I was even more accurate (since Swype autmoatically adds spaces and makes it easy to capitalize letters, not to mention accents when typing in Spanish!). Swype is just ridiculous, I've no idea why the company hasn't taken it out of beta and started selling it on the Market, I'd pay as much as $10-15 for it, and I seldom pay for apps (I rooted to get free WiFi tethering), it's that good.

As far as Sprint, I'm pretty happy w/their service so far, fingers crossed that I don't regret ditching AT&T. I too was a long-time customer, probably like 12-13 years. FYI, there's a StudentRate deal thru which you can get the EVO for $125 w/no activation (you pay $300 up front but it turns into $1250 after a $100 rebate, $50 bill credit, and $25 check from SR). Sprint's got a pretty good online tool to check coverage in your area btw.

Edit: Oh yeah, the SR deal also gets you a 15% monthly discount but they've got similar discounts for AT&T (10%) and T-Mo, and you obviously need to be a student to take advantage of it, heh.

Message 18 of 20 (1,136 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

redpoint73 wrote:

Some people also like the ability to have the data connection and phone active at the same time, which CDMA does not do.  I personally have had a GSM smartphone for over 3 years, and have used that feature zero times.  But the lack of CDMA support internationally makes Verizon a no-go for me.

That's the only thing I'm gonna miss... Simultaneouys data + talk, tho whenever you're near WiFi you can use that and talk at the same time, so it's not such a big deal, but it's a very personal matter. With the EVO in particular, if you're in an area w/4G coverage you can also use 4G data + talk simultaneously but the 4G radio is a battery hog.

As far as traveling internationally, unless you do it a lot you're usually better off just buying a pre-paid SIM and using any GSM phone you may have (an old one or a cheap one off Ebay, or a rented one at your destination even).

If you do travel internationally a lot then the convenience of not having to switch phones is obviously big tho. In that case, even if you switch SIMs to save money, the convenience of having your contacts, apps, calendar, etc. already on board is big.

Message 19 of 20 (1,134 Views)
Professor

yep, i gotta hand it to AT&T on that one, I can be on a conference call on my celluar and while on mute, i find myself checking and sending iemail, as well as reading up on news, etc from Opera browser or skyfire.

I do like the ability to do that.

Message 20 of 20 (1,067 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.