Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 9, 2010
11:36:13 PM
View profile
Whopping data usage in a single day
Edited by egreatbuy on Sep 9, 2010 at 11:47:55 PM

Friends, please help me figure this out:

I was out of country from 7/15 to 8/16. I had turned off data roaming while out of country. At times, I used to get free wifi at airport or at hotels. In my current bill, I see a data usage of 318MB at 4:00 pm on 8/16, two hours after my flight landed.  I do not see any data roaming charges as expected. I am curious where that 318MB usage came from. This is on iphone 3G.

My daily usage in past months have been about 1-2MB per day. ATT rep tried a lot to convince me that maybe wifi charges were billed at 3G data usage charges but I dont buy that. I do not do tethering. 

The reason I am curious about this is if I move from unlimited data plan to limited data plan ($15 one), and if something like this happens, I will be in trouble.

If you have any clues, please advice.

thanks much.

Sid

Friends, please help me figure this out:

I was out of country from 7/15 to 8/16. I had turned off data roaming while out of country. At times, I used to get free wifi at airport or at hotels. In my current bill, I see a data usage of 318MB at 4:00 pm on 8/16, two hours after my flight landed.  I do not see any data roaming charges as expected. I am curious where that 318MB usage came from. This is on iphone 3G.

My daily usage in past months have been about 1-2MB per day. ATT rep tried a lot to convince me that maybe wifi charges were billed at 3G data usage charges but I dont buy that. I do not do tethering. 

The reason I am curious about this is if I move from unlimited data plan to limited data plan ($15 one), and if something like this happens, I will be in trouble.

If you have any clues, please advice.

thanks much.

Sid

Whopping data usage in a single day

[ Edited ]
5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 1:42:41 AM
(0)
Scholar

This is something that I experienced.  When your are connected to WIFI, you are just connected to some wireless router. You notice from your phone that the signal strength is strong. If that router has no connection to internet i.e.. Through a modem, then you cannot access the internet through the WIFI connection. Hence, you end up using your data connection (3G, E).

Now if you want to make sure that you do not use the data connection, then turn off the cellular data through settings-> network.  Anyway if you have done this, then this is what you should do.

I have read that on IPHONE (Google this) there are cases where people ended up using cellular data even after turning off the cellular data in the settings. There are many cases on this bug if you search on Google. With this you can have better argument with AT&T and let them know it was not your fault. Good luck.

This is something that I experienced.  When your are connected to WIFI, you are just connected to some wireless router. You notice from your phone that the signal strength is strong. If that router has no connection to internet i.e.. Through a modem, then you cannot access the internet through the WIFI connection. Hence, you end up using your data connection (3G, E).

Now if you want to make sure that you do not use the data connection, then turn off the cellular data through settings-> network.  Anyway if you have done this, then this is what you should do.

I have read that on IPHONE (Google this) there are cases where people ended up using cellular data even after turning off the cellular data in the settings. There are many cases on this bug if you search on Google. With this you can have better argument with AT&T and let them know it was not your fault. Good luck.

Re: Whopping data usage in a single day

2 of 6 (2,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 6:00:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You did something that used cell data. It happens. The 2GB plan is probably the lowest I would go, even though so far on three iP4s in the past 2 months (ie, 6 iPhone4 months) only 1 has gone over 200MB of use in a month, it's just too easy to burn thru 200MB of data.

You did something that used cell data. It happens. The 2GB plan is probably the lowest I would go, even though so far on three iP4s in the past 2 months (ie, 6 iPhone4 months) only 1 has gone over 200MB of use in a month, it's just too easy to burn thru 200MB of data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 6 (1,967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 8:37:46 AM
(0)
Mentor

I don't have an answer to why you had the data usage, but it still would not have been a big deal if you had switched to the $15 200MB data plan.  That month you went over (but still under 400MB) would have cost you $30, that same as the unlimited plan, while you would still be saving $15 for every month you use less than 200MB.

Some people do not look at the total cost of the data plan.  For example:  If you are on the 200MB data plan and go over 200MB, but under 400MB, for 2 of three months you still pay the same as the 2GB plan over the three months (30+30+15 = 25+25+25 = 75).  The 2GB plan is good if you go over 200MB every month, or for a month that you use over 400MB. 

You should get notifications from AT&T if you are going over your 200MB limit, and if you are going way over, you can easily switch to the 2GB plan and make if effective from the beginning of your billing cycle (easily done through the web account management).  If the following month is below 200MB as you approach the end of your billing cycle, you can switch back to the 200MB plan and make it effective from the beginning of that billing cycle.

I think AT&T has done a great job of providing low cost data plans while providing options to limit high overage fees.  The ability to change your data plan and make it effective from the beginning of a billing cycle is great customer service.

I don't have an answer to why you had the data usage, but it still would not have been a big deal if you had switched to the $15 200MB data plan.  That month you went over (but still under 400MB) would have cost you $30, that same as the unlimited plan, while you would still be saving $15 for every month you use less than 200MB.

Some people do not look at the total cost of the data plan.  For example:  If you are on the 200MB data plan and go over 200MB, but under 400MB, for 2 of three months you still pay the same as the 2GB plan over the three months (30+30+15 = 25+25+25 = 75).  The 2GB plan is good if you go over 200MB every month, or for a month that you use over 400MB. 

You should get notifications from AT&T if you are going over your 200MB limit, and if you are going way over, you can easily switch to the 2GB plan and make if effective from the beginning of your billing cycle (easily done through the web account management).  If the following month is below 200MB as you approach the end of your billing cycle, you can switch back to the 200MB plan and make it effective from the beginning of that billing cycle.

I think AT&T has done a great job of providing low cost data plans while providing options to limit high overage fees.  The ability to change your data plan and make it effective from the beginning of a billing cycle is great customer service.

4 of 6 (1,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2010 10:33:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The problem with the 200MB plan is if you go over quite a bit, it gets expensive VERY fast.

let's say you lose your mind and burn 1GB of data.

You're paying $75 for that month, erasing half your savings for the year vs. the 2GB plan.

let's say the unthinkable happens... 2GB

$150. Yep, you just spent the same as half  a year on the 2GB plan, and you've erased all your savings and are now in the red vs just getting the 2GB plan.

So sure, if you are NEVER going to use 3G data, get the 200MB plan. For an iPhone4, you'll probably spend on average more for the 200MB plan with overages than just going with the 2GB plan. If you go over just 8 200MB units a YEAR on the 200MB plan, you've paid the same as the 2GB plan. That's 1.6GB over for the year.

I don't know how many people are willing to swap back and forth between the two plans as suggested above, but it sure seems like that should be automatic - or the option to do that will dissapear if enough people do it.

The problem with the 200MB plan is if you go over quite a bit, it gets expensive VERY fast.

let's say you lose your mind and burn 1GB of data.

You're paying $75 for that month, erasing half your savings for the year vs. the 2GB plan.

let's say the unthinkable happens... 2GB

$150. Yep, you just spent the same as half  a year on the 2GB plan, and you've erased all your savings and are now in the red vs just getting the 2GB plan.

So sure, if you are NEVER going to use 3G data, get the 200MB plan. For an iPhone4, you'll probably spend on average more for the 200MB plan with overages than just going with the 2GB plan. If you go over just 8 200MB units a YEAR on the 200MB plan, you've paid the same as the 2GB plan. That's 1.6GB over for the year.

I don't know how many people are willing to swap back and forth between the two plans as suggested above, but it sure seems like that should be automatic - or the option to do that will dissapear if enough people do it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 6 (1,865 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 5:38:43 AM
(0)
Tutor

You guys can try using DataMan to manage and monitor your data use in real time. It has custom usage alerts to help prevent overage charges. It can be found in the App Store.

You guys can try using DataMan to manage and monitor your data use in real time. It has custom usage alerts to help prevent overage charges. It can be found in the App Store.

6 of 6 (1,373 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments