Whoo...a comment from Ralph de la Vega re Microcell problems

Scholar

Whoo...a comment from Ralph de la Vega re Microcell problems

AT&T president Ralph de la Vega, speaking at D9 the other day actually admitted something we've known for months about the MicroCell...deploying a MCell in a decent signal quality area will actually make call quality WORSE...really???...ya think Ralph???  I especially loved his comment that they didn't know how they were going to work until they deployed them!!  Test things much BEFORE you deploy them AT&T???  So AT&T is frustrated about femto failure???  Maybe if they had taken the time to adequately test them, put some user-facing diagnostics in them, and COMMUNICATED with the end-users of the product, maybe...just maybe, the deployment might have been more successful than it's been so far.  Golly gee AT&T...who do you have in your product development, customer service, and maketing departments???  My 10-year old niece could have done a better job marketing these things than you've done.  Read Mr. de la Vega's comments here folks:  http://dslreports.com/shownews/Femto-Failure-Frustrating-ATT-115029 

Message 1 of 8 (969 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Whoo...a comment from Ralph de la Vega re Microcell problems

Yeah I saw that last week on  Broadband DSL Reports and it did put a smile on my face. But will something come out of it? I doubt it.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 8 (966 Views)
Teacher

I certainly blame AT&T for problems with the Mcell, but it is a Cisco device and I am not going to let them off the hook.  They should be delivering a reliable device to AT&T.  Cisco isn't a fly-by-night company.

Message 3 of 8 (952 Views)
Guru

I reject the assertion that microcells cause interference in strong signal areas. In our neighborhood the macro network operates on 850 MHz and the Microcell is on 1.9 GHz. There's certainly no potential for interference there.

AT&T knows exactly where each Microcell is and can easily coordinate them.

What he probably means is that it's difficult to get the phones to treat microcells differently or specially. My retort to that is to ask which is easier: making phones able to operate over WiFi or making the Microcell work properly.

They "tested" these things for almost two years before the nationwide launch. They have no excuse for how badly it has gone.

He, and all of AT&T, owes us all a public apology.
Message 4 of 8 (908 Views)

I wish they would share more detailed information about any research they've done about optimal MicroCell placement in the home.

When within 20' of the MC my calls frequently switch to the macro network EDGE or GPRS signal, even when those signals are worse. Also, while on the MC the call quality sounds great to me, but I'm often told that I sound like the call is cutting out.

I thought the MC should be placed where the macro coverage is worst so that it's list of nearby cells to hand-off to would have fewer entries. But that still doesn't prevent my calls from prematurely switching away from the MC.

Care to share more reliable technical advise for us MC owners Mr. de la Vega?
Message 5 of 8 (883 Views)

I phoned Cisco and they said it is AT&T who has to do the troubleshooting. I'm sorry but any company that does not back up their product or passes the buck is not worth their salt. I called the # on the back of the installation manual in Lawrenceville GA, the guy I spoke with, his name is Kevin and I fully intent to report him to Cisco headquarters and I hope they fire him.
Message 6 of 8 (716 Views)
Contributor

I am a 11 year employee of ATT and I have been telling my customers the micro cell works great in low coverage area but dropped calls happen and they increase when you purchase a micro cell and you are in a good coverage area.  We have customers that don't always listen......

Message 7 of 8 (567 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

The Microcell, from what I can tell, works just fine at our house, so long as your phone is not an iPhone.
Message 8 of 8 (551 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.