Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

Scholar

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.


shotgnz wrote:

Hi,

 I have to disagree with the above statement.  I work in the purchasing area of a retail store.  When ever we have a preorder, those sales are allocated first.  ATT had one week before to atleast judge the figures or predict what the alotment they should have sent out.  A fellow co-worker ordered his on teh 7th thru Verizon, he received notice it was shipped on WEDs and it was in his hand Saturday the 14th..   Pre-order by definition is- you have reserved your copy.

I plan on seeing what my ATT store can do for me.  I have been hearing that ATT is giving credit for the Mishaps.   Next time, I plan on just getting the phone from APPLE. and pre order it thru them.  They atleast are showing expected shipping between 1- 2 weeks.  My status still shows backorder from 10/7 at 8 cst time for two phones.

 

Shotgnz


Pre-order doesn't mean that with AT&T, sorry. It's an entirely separate fulfillment pipeline.

Message 16 of 50 (820 Views)

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

[ Edited ]

dww0311 wrote:

shotgnz wrote:

Hi,

 I have to disagree with the above statement.  I work in the purchasing area of a retail store.  When ever we have a preorder, those sales are allocated first.  ATT had one week before to atleast judge the figures or predict what the alotment they should have sent out.  A fellow co-worker ordered his on teh 7th thru Verizon, he received notice it was shipped on WEDs and it was in his hand Saturday the 14th..   Pre-order by definition is- you have reserved your copy.

I plan on seeing what my ATT store can do for me.  I have been hearing that ATT is giving credit for the Mishaps.   Next time, I plan on just getting the phone from APPLE. and pre order it thru them.  They atleast are showing expected shipping between 1- 2 weeks.  My status still shows backorder from 10/7 at 8 cst time for two phones.

 

Shotgnz


Pre-order doesn't mean that with AT&T, sorry. It's an entirely separate fulfillment pipeline.


That's OK.  'Payment' doesn't mean I actually give them money with me.  it's an entirely different financial system. (If we're all allowed to make up new meanings for commonly used words.. why not?)

Message 17 of 50 (798 Views)
Teacher

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

Well my friend works on at&t, they are told to just tell whatever, and they said after all when they have their isseu resolved they will shut up.
Message 18 of 50 (785 Views)
Scholar

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.


Jeremy Winston wrote:

dww0311 wrote:

shotgnz wrote:

Hi,

 I have to disagree with the above statement.  I work in the purchasing area of a retail store.  When ever we have a preorder, those sales are allocated first.  ATT had one week before to atleast judge the figures or predict what the alotment they should have sent out.  A fellow co-worker ordered his on teh 7th thru Verizon, he received notice it was shipped on WEDs and it was in his hand Saturday the 14th..   Pre-order by definition is- you have reserved your copy.

I plan on seeing what my ATT store can do for me.  I have been hearing that ATT is giving credit for the Mishaps.   Next time, I plan on just getting the phone from APPLE. and pre order it thru them.  They atleast are showing expected shipping between 1- 2 weeks.  My status still shows backorder from 10/7 at 8 cst time for two phones.

 

Shotgnz


Pre-order doesn't mean that with AT&T, sorry. It's an entirely separate fulfillment pipeline.


That's OK.  'Payment' doesn't mean I actually give them money with me.  it's an entirely different financial system. (If we're all allowed to make up new meanings for commonly used words.. why not?)


Look, folks simply went into this asusming that it meant what they thought it meant. I agree that AT&T could have been less opaque about it, but it's not as if this didn't happen the last time with the 4 launch, it wasn't extensively written about and that information isn't available online either.

 

Preorder with AT&T means that you are choosing a different fulfillment pipeline, with entirely an entirely separate stock pool, and you are competing with all the other folks that want to pre-order from that pool. It's no different than going to a store and standing in line, only to find that the store sold out, and then demanding that AT&T ship you a phone from a warehouse (immediately!!) because you had to be inconvenienced by standing in line. It just doesn't work that way, and the fact that it doesn't work that way with AT&T isn't exactly hard to find out about.

 

Best advice with future pre-ordering: if you haven't gotten your AT&T pre-order successfully entered and confirmed in the first 3 or 4 hours of pre-order, give up. Walk away. Pre-order from Apple or just wait in line at a store (Apple or AT&T).

Message 19 of 50 (775 Views)

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

^^^ truth

 

But how would anyone know that ATT was not going to allow us to cancel orders? I would be fine admitting preordering from att was a bad idea and going a different route but its not possible to even cancel my preorder that wont be filled for 20 more days....

Message 20 of 50 (752 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.


HigginsRandalR wrote:

^^^ truth

 

But how would anyone know that ATT was not going to allow us to cancel orders? I would be fine admitting preordering from att was a bad idea and going a different route but its not possible to even cancel my preorder that wont be filled for 20 more days....


Call in, get it escalated to a manager, don't take no for an answer and you'll eventually be able to get the order canceled. It isn't the simplest thing in the world, and I agree that it could be easier, but it can be done.

Message 21 of 50 (857 Views)

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

With all due respect, I don't really care how it worked before.

 

Yes, I could have spent time looking up what happened the last time, but why should I?

 

No other industry that I'm aware of uses this method of 'multiple fulfillment pipeline.'  When I go to a company and preorder a product, told that "first come first serve," I have no reason to assume that it's "first come first serve for this pool of 5 units that refreshes every two weeks."  It's "first come first serve" period.

 

I don't know how it's going to play out, but as far as I'm concerned, stores should not receive another single solitary unit until every single preorder is fulfilled.

 

ButI'd be willing to ignore all of that if I were permitted to cancel the preorder once they merchant shows it's unable to supply the order.  How can they hold me to an order they can't fulfil?  In fact, how can they hold me to an order that they CAN fulfil but simply refuse to?

Message 22 of 50 (846 Views)

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

Thank you for the BBB info, my problem isnt the fact i have to wait, but i have to watch others walking into the store and purchase a phone that i as a paying customer was told is sold out. On top of that i am being charged for a data plan and extra line on a phone that i do not have, and have been told that i HAVE to pay for it.

 

I would have no problem if everyone had to wait for a "sold out" phone but that is not the case. People walk  right in front of me and buy, what i have already bought, but they arent told its sold out.

Message 23 of 50 (817 Views)
Scholar

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

No other industry that I'm aware of uses this method of 'multiple fulfillment pipeline.'  When I go to a company and preorder a product, told that "first come first serve," I have no reason to assume that it's "first come first serve for this pool of 5 units that refreshes every two weeks."  It's "first come first serve" period.
Well, AT&T does, sorry.

I don't know how it's going to play out, but as far as I'm concerned, stores should not receive another single solitary unit until every single preorder is fulfilled.

 

And that would probably be fair, but it isn't going to happen.

 

ButI'd be willing to ignore all of that if I were permitted to cancel the preorder once they merchant shows it's unable to supply the order.  How can they hold me to an order they can't fulfil?  In fact, how can they hold me to an order that they CAN fulfil but simply refuse to?

 

See previous comment. The orders CAN be canceled. It just isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it CAN be done.


Message 24 of 50 (810 Views)
Mentor

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

I'm curious why one would consider acceptable a "fulfillment pipeline" that willingly misleads buyers on the order in which product is delivered, and a cancellation policy that requires hours on the phone coupled with threats to move your patronage in order to get results.

 

For some, an "it is what is" outlook is acceptable.  But others are justified in escalating the issue into a formal consumer complaint.  Telecom is a regulated industry after all, as is commerce in my state.  I expect AT&T to follow these rules, be predictable and treat their customers with respect. 

Message 25 of 50 (784 Views)

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.


dww0311 wrote:
No other industry that I'm aware of uses this method of 'multiple fulfillment pipeline.'  When I go to a company and preorder a product, told that "first come first serve," I have no reason to assume that it's "first come first serve for this pool of 5 units that refreshes every two weeks."  It's "first come first serve" period.
Well, AT&T does, sorry.

I don't know how it's going to play out, but as far as I'm concerned, stores should not receive another single solitary unit until every single preorder is fulfilled.

 

And that would probably be fair, but it isn't going to happen.

 

ButI'd be willing to ignore all of that if I were permitted to cancel the preorder once they merchant shows it's unable to supply the order.  How can they hold me to an order they can't fulfil?  In fact, how can they hold me to an order that they CAN fulfil but simply refuse to?

 

See previous comment. The orders CAN be canceled. It just isn't the easiest thing in the world, but it CAN be done.



Oh!  Of course.  How silly of me.

 

Thanks for clarifying those points.

 

I feel so much better.

Message 26 of 50 (769 Views)
Mentor

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

Well, AT&T does, sorry.



That sums up the official AT&T response nicely. 

 

Thankfully the carrier pool for iPhones is expanding and exclusivity is becoming a non-factor.  More importantly, reputations linger and cost telecom companies measurable income and growth.  If you don't believe me, ask yourself why we're not posting on an SBC forum. 

 

Regardless, the message is clear.  Apple makes the phones, order direct from them. 

 

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc provide the network.  Chose one based on reputation, especially next Fall when you're considering an iPhone 5. 

Message 27 of 50 (763 Views)
Scholar

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

Couldn't those of you interested in cancelling an order just get a hold of your bank or credit card company and block the funds?  Wouldn't that basically cancel the order in the long run since ATT wouldn't get the payment?

Message 28 of 50 (757 Views)
Teacher

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.

In order to block funds on a credit card you need to dispute the charge as fraudulent. Since we signed contracts agreeing to pay the charges AT&T could simply show the signed receipts to our credit card company and we would still be responsible for it. Unfortunately.
Message 29 of 50 (735 Views)

Re: Whoever Got Screwed By The 4S Preorder, Needs to read this.


trav323 wrote:
In order to block funds on a credit card you need to dispute the charge as fraudulent. Since we signed contracts agreeing to pay the charges AT&T could simply show the signed receipts to our credit card company and we would still be responsible for it. Unfortunately.

More importantly, AT&T doesn't actually charge the card until they ship.  So, there's nothing to dispute.

 

 

Message 30 of 50 (724 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.