Wireless Forums

Posted Jun 28, 2010
10:39:20 PM
View profile
Who will buy the Dell Streak when it comes out

While this phone (or mini-tablet?) is gorgeous, unless you have a very specific use case, I can't see many people buying it.

While this phone (or mini-tablet?) is gorgeous, unless you have a very specific use case, I can't see many people buying it.

Who will buy the Dell Streak when it comes out

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 11:17:50 PM
(0)
Scholar

Not me.

1.  Not impressed

2.  it's dell almost as bad as apple.

Not me.

1.  Not impressed

2.  it's dell almost as bad as apple.

Re: Who will buy the Dell Streak when it comes out

2 of 21 (3,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 2:39:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

I think it is too luxurious. Few people will go to buy it.

I think it is too luxurious. Few people will go to buy it.

3 of 21 (3,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 4:04:56 AM
(0)
Guru

I know I won't be interested in buying it. 5 inches is just to big.

I know I won't be interested in buying it. 5 inches is just to big.

4 of 21 (3,040 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 7:34:14 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm seriosly considering it. I currently have an Iphone but as a power user I'm constantly frustrated by apples philosophy of locking everything down. I also tend to use my phone as much for its capabilities as a mini-computer and the screen on the iphone is just a smidge too small.

The Streaks size appeals alot to me. It should be just big enough to improve on watching video, browsing the web, checking email and using apps but not so big that I can't drop in in a pocket and head out the door. After seeing some videos of it being held up to a head I do admit it looks a bit silly and over sized as a phone but I do most of my phone calls via a wired or bluetooth headset so it that doesn't bother me at all.

I'm seriosly considering it. I currently have an Iphone but as a power user I'm constantly frustrated by apples philosophy of locking everything down. I also tend to use my phone as much for its capabilities as a mini-computer and the screen on the iphone is just a smidge too small.

The Streaks size appeals alot to me. It should be just big enough to improve on watching video, browsing the web, checking email and using apps but not so big that I can't drop in in a pocket and head out the door. After seeing some videos of it being held up to a head I do admit it looks a bit silly and over sized as a phone but I do most of my phone calls via a wired or bluetooth headset so it that doesn't bother me at all.

5 of 21 (3,004 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 9:44:52 AM
(0)
Voyager

As long as AT&T doesn't strip it down and kill it ,like they have with every other smartphone, I will buy one.

As long as AT&T doesn't strip it down and kill it ,like they have with every other smartphone, I will buy one.

6 of 21 (2,988 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 11:46:06 AM
(0)
Mentor

I was REALLY excited when I first saw it - but I had enough with the months and months of teasing and anticipation and went with an iPhone 4 instead. I'll bet if AT&T had come out with the Streak before the iPhone4, they would have sold quite a few more Streaks than they will when it finally releases.  I use my phone mostly as a mini computer, so the Streak was going to be right up my alley!

I was REALLY excited when I first saw it - but I had enough with the months and months of teasing and anticipation and went with an iPhone 4 instead. I'll bet if AT&T had come out with the Streak before the iPhone4, they would have sold quite a few more Streaks than they will when it finally releases.  I use my phone mostly as a mini computer, so the Streak was going to be right up my alley!

7 of 21 (2,958 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 12:21:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

I will consider it, but want to actually try it our first. So hoping, if/when-ever it comes out for AT&T, it is in stores. This & the Captivate both look interesting. I want a bigger screen than my Fuze. So far, though, I have not had much luck using software keyboards with my big fingers on the newer screens I have tried. I don't think there will be a good Android phone coming anytime soon with a hardware keyboard.

I will consider it, but want to actually try it our first. So hoping, if/when-ever it comes out for AT&T, it is in stores. This & the Captivate both look interesting. I want a bigger screen than my Fuze. So far, though, I have not had much luck using software keyboards with my big fingers on the newer screens I have tried. I don't think there will be a good Android phone coming anytime soon with a hardware keyboard.

8 of 21 (2,951 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 8:39:53 AM
(0)
Tutor

Well if u don't want the locked version from ATT, for around $200 with 24 mo. contract, u can buy

the unlocked version from Dell for $500, which is cheaper than other unlocked high end phones,

including iPhone 4 & Samsung i897 Captivate. Yes the Captivate SMOKE'S the iPhone 4. Kinda of a

draw compared to Streak. Online voting Streak 73%, Captivate 27%. Choice of Streak versus

iPhone 4, 59% chose Streak, while only 41% chose iPhone 4. :smileywink:

PS Launch on Streak 7/5, Captivate 7/21. User Guide, Connect Guide & Troubleshooting Guide for

Streak are NOW avail on Dell web !?!

Fred Barnett Jr.

Well if u don't want the locked version from ATT, for around $200 with 24 mo. contract, u can buy

the unlocked version from Dell for $500, which is cheaper than other unlocked high end phones,

including iPhone 4 & Samsung i897 Captivate. Yes the Captivate SMOKE'S the iPhone 4. Kinda of a

draw compared to Streak. Online voting Streak 73%, Captivate 27%. Choice of Streak versus

iPhone 4, 59% chose Streak, while only 41% chose iPhone 4. :smileywink:

PS Launch on Streak 7/5, Captivate 7/21. User Guide, Connect Guide & Troubleshooting Guide for

Streak are NOW avail on Dell web !?!

9 of 21 (2,751 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 9:46:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I want one NOW!!!!  But I am also planning on picking up the samsung captivate when it is out later this month.

I want one NOW!!!!  But I am also planning on picking up the samsung captivate when it is out later this month.

10 of 21 (2,735 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 10:00:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi Fred,

I doubt Streak will come out July 5th.  I also doubt July 14th.  it might come out late July or early August.  This will give me time to compare Streak with Captivate, vibrant, and droid x.  These are the only choices that i have left.  I don't care too much about EVO 4G.

Art

Hi Fred,

I doubt Streak will come out July 5th.  I also doubt July 14th.  it might come out late July or early August.  This will give me time to compare Streak with Captivate, vibrant, and droid x.  These are the only choices that i have left.  I don't care too much about EVO 4G.

Art

11 of 21 (2,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 11:35:28 AM
(0)
Mentor

I haven't seen anything on the dell streak does someone have a link to info on it :robotvery-happy:

I haven't seen anything on the dell streak does someone have a link to info on it :robotvery-happy:

12 of 21 (2,059 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2010 5:29:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

So, I have had the 3G since day 1. I am 100% buying the streak when it drops because it saves me from dropping an extra 700 bucks or so for an iPad in addition to another iPhone. While its not as big it is more versatile and I have played around with a old gps of mine that had a 5.5" screen. It was big enough for me. As a student, it does just about everything I need for while I am in class.  My gut is telling me that most power users will all have 4-5" ubersmartphones moving forward.

So, I have had the 3G since day 1. I am 100% buying the streak when it drops because it saves me from dropping an extra 700 bucks or so for an iPad in addition to another iPhone. While its not as big it is more versatile and I have played around with a old gps of mine that had a 5.5" screen. It was big enough for me. As a student, it does just about everything I need for while I am in class.  My gut is telling me that most power users will all have 4-5" ubersmartphones moving forward.

13 of 21 (2,018 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2010 9:52:47 AM
(0)
Mentor

If it DID come out on the 5th I could still exchange my iPhone 4 for it! Hmmm! Doubt it's coming out that soon though!

If it DID come out on the 5th I could still exchange my iPhone 4 for it! Hmmm! Doubt it's coming out that soon though!

14 of 21 (1,969 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2010 11:33:08 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by nb_mitch on Jul 3, 2010 at 11:38:30 AM

If there were going to be a phone available in stores on Monday, you would have seen advertisements long before today. I suspect that AT&T is waiting for the Fruity smell to die down a bit before releasing a major Android device.

July 14/15 seems more realistic, but even with those dates, I would expect to start seeing advertisements by the end of this week.

For the record, I will buy at least one, maybe 2 if that second one is in Pink for my wife. I have been with AT&T for about 10 years now, been on a Blackberry for the last 5 years. My contract expired in April and I am getting tired of waiting. I might take my business elsewhere if they don't start taking the Android platform seriously (high end devices that aren't crippled).

If there were going to be a phone available in stores on Monday, you would have seen advertisements long before today. I suspect that AT&T is waiting for the Fruity smell to die down a bit before releasing a major Android device.

July 14/15 seems more realistic, but even with those dates, I would expect to start seeing advertisements by the end of this week.

For the record, I will buy at least one, maybe 2 if that second one is in Pink for my wife. I have been with AT&T for about 10 years now, been on a Blackberry for the last 5 years. My contract expired in April and I am getting tired of waiting. I might take my business elsewhere if they don't start taking the Android platform seriously (high end devices that aren't crippled).

[ Edited ]
15 of 21 (1,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 2:31:33 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'll definitely get one if it comes out on the 14th. If they make me wait much longer I'm tempted to pay the early termination fee in order to switch to Sprint and get the Evo.

I'll definitely get one if it comes out on the 14th. If they make me wait much longer I'm tempted to pay the early termination fee in order to switch to Sprint and get the Evo.

16 of 21 (1,826 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2010 6:24:25 PM
(0)
Guru

If it has the Dell name on it I avoid it. Out of all the electronics I have had the ones I have had the most issues with those that had the Dell name on them.

If it has the Dell name on it I avoid it. Out of all the electronics I have had the ones I have had the most issues with those that had the Dell name on them.

17 of 21 (1,815 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2010 10:24:39 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am most diffidently looking in to it, so far ATT has no android phones with a 4"+ screen with flash for the camera.

But I am worried about what will happen in the next 6 month, larger processors, better memory options, 1080HD video recording, and 4.3" screens. I really don't want to be stuck with a obsolete phone in 2 months.

I am most diffidently looking in to it, so far ATT has no android phones with a 4"+ screen with flash for the camera.

But I am worried about what will happen in the next 6 month, larger processors, better memory options, 1080HD video recording, and 4.3" screens. I really don't want to be stuck with a obsolete phone in 2 months.

18 of 21 (1,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2011 3:35:44 PM
(0)
Professor

guandalf wrote:

I stumbled across this old discussion... I GOT ONE :smileywink:  and love it!

dellanim.gif

guandalf wrote:

I stumbled across this old discussion... I GOT ONE :smileywink:  and love it!

dellanim.gif

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

19 of 21 (237 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 3:17:55 PM
(0)
Scholar

I've been waiting for a cell phone manufacture to make a 5" phone and I jumped when this beauty became available.  I've had it for six (6) months and I'm loving it.  Just wish it had a (vertical) slider keyboard like the Venue.

I've been waiting for a cell phone manufacture to make a 5" phone and I jumped when this beauty became available.  I've had it for six (6) months and I'm loving it.  Just wish it had a (vertical) slider keyboard like the Venue.

20 of 21 (219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2011 3:58:01 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on May 11, 2011 at 4:00:23 PM

ameiurus wrote:

Yeah! I got one! Jumped on this  baby the moment i had a chance to get it.   Theres a discussions on Android Operating systems and Dell Streak at the link below.

I am a big fan of physical keyboards too.  I like my streak locked in landscape view, and still on 2.2(.1) not updated to 2.2.2 yet because of some issues othere have had.  I dont want to take taht chance just yet. else, have to root and flashy  back to an older version, etc.

I got this bluetooth keypad that works as well as a physical qwerty... but i am finding msyelf more and more using onscreen keys.

bluetoothkb2.jpg

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Community-Discussion/DELL-Streak-ANDROID/td-p/2710731

Can you post some pros/ cons you have experienced under the discussion about 2.2.2 at then android community discusisons?  Interested to hear your results.

ameiurus wrote:

Yeah! I got one! Jumped on this  baby the moment i had a chance to get it.   Theres a discussions on Android Operating systems and Dell Streak at the link below.

I am a big fan of physical keyboards too.  I like my streak locked in landscape view, and still on 2.2(.1) not updated to 2.2.2 yet because of some issues othere have had.  I dont want to take taht chance just yet. else, have to root and flashy  back to an older version, etc.

I got this bluetooth keypad that works as well as a physical qwerty... but i am finding msyelf more and more using onscreen keys.

bluetoothkb2.jpg

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Community-Discussion/DELL-Streak-ANDROID/td-p/2710731

Can you post some pros/ cons you have experienced under the discussion about 2.2.2 at then android community discusisons?  Interested to hear your results.

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
21 of 21 (213 Views)