Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 28, 2011
2:42:33 PM
View profile
Who has gotten the Mango update?

I know a lot of people are still waiting for their update but I'm curious to hear what you think if you already have it.

I'm digging the multi-tasking & the speech recognition stuff. Let me know what you think!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

I know a lot of people are still waiting for their update but I'm curious to hear what you think if you already have it.

I'm digging the multi-tasking & the speech recognition stuff. Let me know what you think!

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Who has gotten the Mango update?

65 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(65)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 5:03:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

I cannot get my device to download the new OS.  I have installed latest version of Zune and have HW ver 1.3.  When I attempt to update it says that my OS is the latest at 7.0 (7390).  Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

I cannot get my device to download the new OS.  I have installed latest version of Zune and have HW ver 1.3.  When I attempt to update it says that my OS is the latest at 7.0 (7390).  Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

Re: Who has gotten the Mango update?

2 of 66 (1,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 7:37:44 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

The update is still rolling out so not everyone has received the prompt to download it just yet. My only advice is to be patient, it will come. 

--------------

The update is still rolling out so not everyone has received the prompt to download it just yet. My only advice is to be patient, it will come. 

--------------

3 of 66 (1,773 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 10:45:36 AM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by qmac on Sep 29, 2011 at 10:46:33 AM

I love the update....things seem to be working fairly seamlessly. Of particular importance to me is the massive upgrade to the Office tab and Outlook. Having full use of skydrive with documents really is a game changer for me in terms of using the phone as an aide to work, as is the ability to search for e-mails on the exchange server and operate the out-of-office assistant.

You could create a powerful work-related device on Windows Mobile if you were willing to invest 6 hours of your time and energy to customizing everything and working around some of the phone's base package...with Mango, though, Windows Phone is heads and shoulders above in that department.

On another note, I am looking forward to experimenting a little more with the new Bing capabilities...it still seems a little bit wonky, and local scout really needs a lot of the apps to step forward and offer Mango upgrades; but, there sure is a lot of promise there...

I love the update....things seem to be working fairly seamlessly. Of particular importance to me is the massive upgrade to the Office tab and Outlook. Having full use of skydrive with documents really is a game changer for me in terms of using the phone as an aide to work, as is the ability to search for e-mails on the exchange server and operate the out-of-office assistant.

You could create a powerful work-related device on Windows Mobile if you were willing to invest 6 hours of your time and energy to customizing everything and working around some of the phone's base package...with Mango, though, Windows Phone is heads and shoulders above in that department.

On another note, I am looking forward to experimenting a little more with the new Bing capabilities...it still seems a little bit wonky, and local scout really needs a lot of the apps to step forward and offer Mango upgrades; but, there sure is a lot of promise there...

[ Edited ]
4 of 66 (1,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 2:45:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

Smiley Sad  I really want this update.  I have been waiting so long.  I really wish there was a way I could force it.  Any idea on how they are targeting devices and what the overall schedule is?

Smiley Sad  I really want this update.  I have been waiting so long.  I really wish there was a way I could force it.  Any idea on how they are targeting devices and what the overall schedule is?

5 of 66 (1,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 6:38:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

6 of 66 (1,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 7:32:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

I updated this morning. I've been going through the various features.

I had a bad experience attempting to determine why it was that "Internet Sharing" is not available on my Samsung Focus. I understand it can either be disabled by the carrier, or it may not be available if the chipset for the Wifi is not the proper Broadcom chipset. I called ATT mobile support, who claimed they do not disable any features on the phones and told me to call Samsung. I called Samsung who said they had a focus there that was updated to mango and the feature was available in settings. They said to call MS. I called MS and they said.. sorry we checked and we don't have any support options for you, you must call Samsung. So yea.. that's a little frustrating, if anyone knows why it is not enabled I'd love to have that info.

Multitasking is great and I like how the UI has been implemented. One thing I hope they add soon is the ability to press and hold one of the app screens to actually close the application, as with the introduction of multitasking I haven't seen a way to explicitly close the an app.

Playing with the bing enhancements, the OCR for translation is very neat. However, I don't understand why there isn't some sort of capability to copy or save (possibly a context menu to open in Word) the recognized text. It would be a handy side-feature for it allowing bing to act somewhat like a scanner with OCR.

I noticed the cold boot startup time is insanely fast. I went from power on to at my lock screen in something like 4-5 seconds.

I'm extremely happy with the turn by turn navigation and text-to-speech/speech-to-text SMS features. I love the ideas of linked inboxes and message threading, nice to see not only MS bring features up to par with iOS/Android but in some cases leapfrog them.

I updated this morning. I've been going through the various features.

I had a bad experience attempting to determine why it was that "Internet Sharing" is not available on my Samsung Focus. I understand it can either be disabled by the carrier, or it may not be available if the chipset for the Wifi is not the proper Broadcom chipset. I called ATT mobile support, who claimed they do not disable any features on the phones and told me to call Samsung. I called Samsung who said they had a focus there that was updated to mango and the feature was available in settings. They said to call MS. I called MS and they said.. sorry we checked and we don't have any support options for you, you must call Samsung. So yea.. that's a little frustrating, if anyone knows why it is not enabled I'd love to have that info.

Multitasking is great and I like how the UI has been implemented. One thing I hope they add soon is the ability to press and hold one of the app screens to actually close the application, as with the introduction of multitasking I haven't seen a way to explicitly close the an app.

Playing with the bing enhancements, the OCR for translation is very neat. However, I don't understand why there isn't some sort of capability to copy or save (possibly a context menu to open in Word) the recognized text. It would be a handy side-feature for it allowing bing to act somewhat like a scanner with OCR.

I noticed the cold boot startup time is insanely fast. I went from power on to at my lock screen in something like 4-5 seconds.

I'm extremely happy with the turn by turn navigation and text-to-speech/speech-to-text SMS features. I love the ideas of linked inboxes and message threading, nice to see not only MS bring features up to par with iOS/Android but in some cases leapfrog them.

7 of 66 (1,698 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 5:53:27 AM
(0)
Professor

Everything works great on my LG QUANTUM C900.

The only thing I wish it had is visual voice mail but I understand tht is planed for the future

Everything works great on my LG QUANTUM C900.

The only thing I wish it had is visual voice mail but I understand tht is planed for the future

8 of 66 (1,681 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 1:49:40 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

@eastshores -I don't have any info on the internet sharing offhand but I'll see what I can find out. Sorry you got bounced around though! I'm with on the start up speed. I was seriously impressed with that on my Focus. 

--------------

@eastshores -I don't have any info on the internet sharing offhand but I'll see what I can find out. Sorry you got bounced around though! I'm with on the start up speed. I was seriously impressed with that on my Focus. 

--------------

9 of 66 (1,649 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 6:06:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

I seriously thought the disconnect the internet connection was a bad joke.  I tried it last night and failed.  However, I am now downloading the 7392 patch using the linked instructions.  Keep playing with the disconnection until it just appears.  HUGE THANK YOU!!!!

I seriously thought the disconnect the internet connection was a bad joke.  I tried it last night and failed.  However, I am now downloading the 7392 patch using the linked instructions.  Keep playing with the disconnection until it just appears.  HUGE THANK YOU!!!!

10 of 66 (1,623 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 7:32:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

Got it now thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  This phone is so fast I cannot beleive it.  I can type faster on the touch screen than my keyboard here.  I can't wait to show this to my Apple fanboy co-workers Smiley Happy

Got it now thanks to everyone for the suggestions.  This phone is so fast I cannot beleive it.  I can type faster on the touch screen than my keyboard here.  I can't wait to show this to my Apple fanboy co-workers Smiley Happy

11 of 66 (1,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:52:37 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Ultrastar9 wrote:

Awesome - glad you're enjoying the update!

--------------

Ultrastar9 wrote:

Awesome - glad you're enjoying the update!

--------------

12 of 66 (1,147 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 4:14:16 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone know how at&t decides who and when will get the update. Someone with HD7s got the update within a few hours after the release (http://wmpoweruser.com/att-now-delivering-mango-to-htc-hd7s-too/).  My HD7s has not gotten the notice yet 5 days after the start of the rollout..    

Does anyone know how at&t decides who and when will get the update. Someone with HD7s got the update within a few hours after the release (http://wmpoweruser.com/att-now-delivering-mango-to-htc-hd7s-too/).  My HD7s has not gotten the notice yet 5 days after the start of the rollout..    

13 of 66 (1,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 6:24:44 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by zeke009 on Oct 4, 2011 at 6:26:11 AM

Hong01938 wrote:

Carriers have no say in it, check out this blog post by the WP7 team.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/10/03/windows-phone-7-5-update-...

Specifically this portion:

I know some of you have questions about how Windows Phones are selected to receive the update. Put simply, it’s done totally at random, with absolutely no preference for carrier, model, or country. Random sampling is an important engineering technique to accurately measure quality and pinpoint issues early.

As for your HD7s, it is still in Scheduling per this page.

Hong01938 wrote:

Carriers have no say in it, check out this blog post by the WP7 team.

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_phone/b/windowsphone/archive/2011/10/03/windows-phone-7-5-update-status.aspx

Specifically this portion:

I know some of you have questions about how Windows Phones are selected to receive the update. Put simply, it’s done totally at random, with absolutely no preference for carrier, model, or country. Random sampling is an important engineering technique to accurately measure quality and pinpoint issues early.

As for your HD7s, it is still in Scheduling per this page.

[ Edited ]
14 of 66 (1,035 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2011 6:49:56 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

The referred page was last updated  2011-0927, the day of rollout.  I also read somewhere else that HD7s would be updated starting from early to mid October, so I was surprised to find the post syaing someone's HD7s was updated within hours of the release.

I will report back when I get the update that I am anxiously waiting for.   

Thanks a lot for the clarification.

The referred page was last updated  2011-0927, the day of rollout.  I also read somewhere else that HD7s would be updated starting from early to mid October, so I was surprised to find the post syaing someone's HD7s was updated within hours of the release.

I will report back when I get the update that I am anxiously waiting for.   

15 of 66 (1,028 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 7:50:26 AM
(0)
Tutor
it's October 6 now, whats the deal?

16 of 66 (935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2011 7:52:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
is there a schedual somewhere? that way some of us wouldn't keep wondering.
is there a schedual somewhere? that way some of us wouldn't keep wondering.

17 of 66 (940 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 12:42:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Actually I got the update because I was using a dev beta Mango version. I guess it was pull out from MCRSFT servers because I don't see any AT&T customization. I'm waiting anyway for something new.

Actually I got the update because I was using a dev beta Mango version. I guess it was pull out from MCRSFT servers because I don't see any AT&T customization. I'm waiting anyway for something new.

18 of 66 (915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 3:48:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

realCMG wrote:

If you have a Focus with firmware version 1.4 it's still in testing with At&t. If you got version 1.3 google force mango update

realCMG wrote:

If you have a Focus with firmware version 1.4 it's still in testing with At&t. If you got version 1.3 google force mango update

I love Chicago

19 of 66 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 4:01:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Is there a place one can find the current upgrading status (e.g. how many phones have been updated in terms of percentage)?

Is there a place one can find the current upgrading status (e.g. how many phones have been updated in terms of percentage)?

20 of 66 (904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

21 of 66 (1,039 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 5:08:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the link.  If 50% was updated by Oct 3, it is probably 60 to 70% by now. This means I am at the bottom 30% or so.

Thanks for the link.  If 50% was updated by Oct 3, it is probably 60 to 70% by now. This means I am at the bottom 30% or so.

22 of 66 (1,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 7:39:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have not been able to get the update.  I am running a Focus v1.3 and I am having driver issues.  I am very sad.  Anyone else having issues?

I have not been able to get the update.  I am running a Focus v1.3 and I am having driver issues.  I am very sad.  Anyone else having issues?

23 of 66 (1,008 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 4:44:40 PM
(0)
Contributor
Not an issue but those of us with a HTC HD7s are still waiting. I believe all other WP7 devices have been pushed at this time.
Not an issue but those of us with a HTC HD7s are still waiting. I believe all other WP7 devices have been pushed at this time.

24 of 66 (966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2011 5:07:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

Does anyone know why HD7s is so special?

Does anyone know why HD7s is so special?

25 of 66 (961 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 2:40:13 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the HTC Surround and still have not received the update..

I have the HTC Surround and still have not received the update..

26 of 66 (939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:47:08 PM
(0)
Tutor

i have samseung focus and still have no update

i have samseung focus and still have no update

27 of 66 (901 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 6:53:17 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by hnzw_rui on Oct 11, 2011 at 7:00:05 PM

Got an LG Quantum and I still haven't received it yet. Been checking daily for the past couple of weeks. I tried the force update thing but I can't seem to find the correct timing. What sucks is I received an email on my birthday with the subject "Update your phone for free to Windows Phone 7.5‏". When I checked, though, no update available.

Got an LG Quantum and I still haven't received it yet. Been checking daily for the past couple of weeks. I tried the force update thing but I can't seem to find the correct timing. What sucks is I received an email on my birthday with the subject "Update your phone for free to Windows Phone 7.5‏". When I checked, though, no update available.

[ Edited ]
28 of 66 (898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 7:54:03 PM
(0)
Mentor

The key to forcing the update is:

1)  In the Zune software, click update - it will say no update is available.

2) Click away

3) Click Update again - a split second after, yank the Ethernet cable

4) It will say the update is available

5) Plug the Ethernet cable back in, and click update.

Don't try to do this over wireless, and disabling the wireless connection.  Its too hard to get the timing right.

The key to forcing the update is:

1)  In the Zune software, click update - it will say no update is available.

2) Click away

3) Click Update again - a split second after, yank the Ethernet cable

4) It will say the update is available

5) Plug the Ethernet cable back in, and click update.

Don't try to do this over wireless, and disabling the wireless connection.  Its too hard to get the timing right.

29 of 66 (888 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2011 8:17:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have tried forced update 5 times to no avail. I am wondering if that method works only for certain phones.

I have tried forced update 5 times to no avail. I am wondering if that method works only for certain phones.

30 of 66 (883 Views)