Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 2, 2008
9:48:13 AM
Which plan and card?
I'm thinking of getting one of these cards. Simply put. Which is the best card to get and which plan?

I know that there is a usb version of the 881 and a pcmia card. Any pro's and con's between the two. I would figure the usb is more versatile but I don't want to sacrifice speed if the pcmia card is faster...

Thanks in advance.
I'm thinking of getting one of these cards. Simply put. Which is the best card to get and which plan?

I know that there is a usb version of the 881 and a pcmia card. Any pro's and con's between the two. I would figure the usb is more versatile but I don't want to sacrifice speed if the pcmia card is faster...

Thanks in advance.

Which plan and card?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2008 6:59:15 PM
(0)
Master
Assuming you don't have a really older slower computer (i.e.: non-USB2, much slower than 1GHz) the USB one should be as fast as the cards.  For many, the USB is cumbersome.  It seem so fragile.   It depends on how harshly you treat your stuff.  I treat my equipment well, but I'd prefer the card because I'm afraid of breaking the USB connector, although I've never broken a USB dongle yet.  (cracked laptop  and PDA screens, yes, but not any of my USB or power adapter tips.)  I have a 875u and I don't have a problem with it, but I try to be gentle with it.

But of course, you've noticed that there are different cards.  If you have a new laptop with a Expresscard slot, go for that because Expresscard is supposed to be replacing the older PCMCIA/Cardbus.  If you have an older laptop with cardbus, then you can either get a USB Aircard, or get the PCMCIA one and sell it if/when you upgrade your laptop.
Assuming you don't have a really older slower computer (i.e.: non-USB2, much slower than 1GHz) the USB one should be as fast as the cards.  For many, the USB is cumbersome.  It seem so fragile.   It depends on how harshly you treat your stuff.  I treat my equipment well, but I'd prefer the card because I'm afraid of breaking the USB connector, although I've never broken a USB dongle yet.  (cracked laptop  and PDA screens, yes, but not any of my USB or power adapter tips.)  I have a 875u and I don't have a problem with it, but I try to be gentle with it.

But of course, you've noticed that there are different cards.  If you have a new laptop with a Expresscard slot, go for that because Expresscard is supposed to be replacing the older PCMCIA/Cardbus.  If you have an older laptop with cardbus, then you can either get a USB Aircard, or get the PCMCIA one and sell it if/when you upgrade your laptop.

Re: Which plan and card?

2 of 6 (2,014 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2008 1:58:19 AM
(0)
Scholar
About the only difference is on the design (internal versus USB), performance I have found is about the same.  As was stated the con of the USB is possible damage with the device protruding out of the PC, but a big plus is the portability to use with a laptop and desktop, plus if a new machine does not have a slot you are covered.  Another plus is the ability to use a USB extension cable to position the USB device if reception issues are a factor.

As far as plans there used to be at least two options for individual plans with low and high data usage (I think 100Mb and 5Gb), but now just the $60 per month 5Gb plan is included on the web site as available under individual plans. 
About the only difference is on the design (internal versus USB), performance I have found is about the same.  As was stated the con of the USB is possible damage with the device protruding out of the PC, but a big plus is the portability to use with a laptop and desktop, plus if a new machine does not have a slot you are covered.  Another plus is the ability to use a USB extension cable to position the USB device if reception issues are a factor.

As far as plans there used to be at least two options for individual plans with low and high data usage (I think 100Mb and 5Gb), but now just the $60 per month 5Gb plan is included on the web site as available under individual plans. 

3 of 6 (1,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2008 3:56:28 AM
(0)
Tutor
I think from the top of my head, I can see that most of the laptops around have pcmia/expresscards. So I don't think it's going to be an issue finding a laptop not equipped with one.

Is there a PCMIA slot available for a  computer? Something like a usb extension? Perhaps I can go a safer route and just go with a pcmia card and if I need it for a desktop I can have something like PCMIA convert to usb. If it exists?

Are there no Unlimited plans?
I think from the top of my head, I can see that most of the laptops around have pcmia/expresscards. So I don't think it's going to be an issue finding a laptop not equipped with one.

Is there a PCMIA slot available for a  computer? Something like a usb extension? Perhaps I can go a safer route and just go with a pcmia card and if I need it for a desktop I can have something like PCMIA convert to usb. If it exists?

4 of 6 (1,992 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2008 6:52:48 AM
(0)
Master

nutsnbolts wrote:

Sort of.  The plans have a 5 gig soft cap.  There is no charge if you go over the cap however if you continue to exceed the cap on a regular basis at&t reserves the right to cancel your plan.

nutsnbolts wrote:

Sort of.  The plans have a 5 gig soft cap.  There is no charge if you go over the cap however if you continue to exceed the cap on a regular basis at&t reserves the right to cancel your plan.

5 of 6 (1,972 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2008 12:57:00 PM
(0)
Master

nutsnbolts wrote:
I think from the top of my head, I can see that most of the laptops around have pcmia/expresscards. So I don't think it's going to be an issue finding a laptop not equipped with one. Is there a PCMIA slot available for a  computer? Something like a usb extension? Perhaps I can go a safer route and just go with a pcmia card and if I need it for a desktop I can have something like PCMIA convert to usb. If it exists? Are there no Unlimited plans?

Newer computers, yes, will most likely come with and Expresscard slot. But if you have a laptop and are thinking about upgrading soon, then a PCMCIA card now will probably need to be replaced for the new computer. I do remember seeing a PCMCIA adapter that plugged in to USB. But if you get that, you may as well get the USB Aircard, which will be smaller than a PCMCIA w/adapter. And as suggested, you can use a USB extension cord. In addition to the ability to move tha antenna, another advantage is that the part that will most likely break is the extension cord and not the Aircard. I've seen some people put a piece of velcro to the top screen and stick the Aircard (or Wi-FI adapter) that way. Higher up and out of the way.

nutsnbolts wrote:
I think from the top of my head, I can see that most of the laptops around have pcmia/expresscards. So I don't think it's going to be an issue finding a laptop not equipped with one. Is there a PCMIA slot available for a  computer? Something like a usb extension? Perhaps I can go a safer route and just go with a pcmia card and if I need it for a desktop I can have something like PCMIA convert to usb. If it exists? Are there no Unlimited plans?

Newer computers, yes, will most likely come with and Expresscard slot. But if you have a laptop and are thinking about upgrading soon, then a PCMCIA card now will probably need to be replaced for the new computer. I do remember seeing a PCMCIA adapter that plugged in to USB. But if you get that, you may as well get the USB Aircard, which will be smaller than a PCMCIA w/adapter. And as suggested, you can use a USB extension cord. In addition to the ability to move tha antenna, another advantage is that the part that will most likely break is the extension cord and not the Aircard. I've seen some people put a piece of velcro to the top screen and stick the Aircard (or Wi-FI adapter) that way. Higher up and out of the way.

6 of 6 (1,939 Views)