Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 13, 2010
9:30:59 AM
View profile
Which is the best OS - Android, iOS or WP7?

Which is the best OS - Android, iOS or WP7?

By best I mean:

- Stability

- Speed

- Ease of use

- User Interface

- Fewest Swipes or Clicks to get to your useful information

- Battery Life

- Customizable

- Investment protection

- Useful Applications

- etc.

Which is the best OS - Android, iOS or WP7?

By best I mean:

- Stability

- Speed

- Ease of use

- User Interface

- Fewest Swipes or Clicks to get to your useful information

- Battery Life

- Customizable

- Investment protection

- Useful Applications

- etc.

Which is the best OS - Android, iOS or WP7?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 10:01:39 AM
(0)
Professor

Are you really looking for a definitive answer, or just polling thoughts on the topic? 

There really is not "best" OS in my opinion.  Namely, becuase no single OS beats the others in every category you mention.  The best one is the one that fits your particular needs?  If you like to tweak and customize, Android is probably the best.  If you like ease of use (and if you own a Mac), maybe iOS.

iOS is fast and stable, but gets a zero for customizability.  And since the home screen is just a bunch of app icons, it displays almost no useful information (my old WM6.5 phone shows more useful info, like appointments and weather on the home screen).

WP7 is a big unknown, since its not really even on the market yet.  And app support will take some time to catch up to the competition.

Android is the best bet right now, IMO.  Its customizable, nice interface, and stable.  I live in Google (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.), so its integration with Google products is a big bonus.  Battery life is highly dependent on which Android handset you're talking about.  But all the smartphones, regardless of OS) are designed to give you a full day or so with moderate usage.  iOS has more apps.  But its to the point where that really doesn't matter anymore.  Android has plenty, iOS mostly has lots of apps that are just clones of each other, and most of the best apps are available on Android also. 

And what do you mean by "investment protection"?  I have a 300-lb. guard in front of my safe at home to invest my protection.   Smiley Happy

Are you really looking for a definitive answer, or just polling thoughts on the topic? 

There really is not "best" OS in my opinion.  Namely, becuase no single OS beats the others in every category you mention.  The best one is the one that fits your particular needs?  If you like to tweak and customize, Android is probably the best.  If you like ease of use (and if you own a Mac), maybe iOS.

iOS is fast and stable, but gets a zero for customizability.  And since the home screen is just a bunch of app icons, it displays almost no useful information (my old WM6.5 phone shows more useful info, like appointments and weather on the home screen).

WP7 is a big unknown, since its not really even on the market yet.  And app support will take some time to catch up to the competition.

Android is the best bet right now, IMO.  Its customizable, nice interface, and stable.  I live in Google (Gmail, Google Maps, etc.), so its integration with Google products is a big bonus.  Battery life is highly dependent on which Android handset you're talking about.  But all the smartphones, regardless of OS) are designed to give you a full day or so with moderate usage.  iOS has more apps.  But its to the point where that really doesn't matter anymore.  Android has plenty, iOS mostly has lots of apps that are just clones of each other, and most of the best apps are available on Android also. 

And what do you mean by "investment protection"?  I have a 300-lb. guard in front of my safe at home to invest my protection.   Smiley Happy

Re: Which is the best OS - Android, iOS or WP7?

2 of 6 (2,626 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 11:26:25 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by hidden_dragon on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:27:00 AM

Agreed that there is no one best OS.  However, for me, WM (not WP7) is the best.  Why?  Because I can run Android, WP7 (near future), WM and Ubuntu Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

Agreed that there is no one best OS.  However, for me, WM (not WP7) is the best.  Why?  Because I can run Android, WP7 (near future), WM and Ubuntu Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold

[ Edited ]
3 of 6 (2,592 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 12:50:23 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by DUDE1 on Oct 13, 2010 at 12:51:16 PM

redpoint73 wrote:

That's the kind of input I was looking for.  I have WM6.5 and if MS had upgraded the interface and kept the best things about it they would have ben fine in my estimation. Oh well!

Regarding "Investment Protection" I mean are applications and data protected, year after year, and from one OS release to the next? It looks like Microsoft bombed in the category.

redpoint73 wrote:

That's the kind of input I was looking for.  I have WM6.5 and if MS had upgraded the interface and kept the best things about it they would have ben fine in my estimation. Oh well!

Regarding "Investment Protection" I mean are applications and data protected, year after year, and from one OS release to the next? It looks like Microsoft bombed in the category.

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (2,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 1:32:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

If you are worried about "investment protection" as you suggest, and you think MS "bombed" in that category, I assume you refer to the fact that MS made a clean break with its pre-phone OS (Windows Mobile evolved from the PDA OS PocketPC).

This really shouldn't be much of a concern since you are asking the questoin now, and not two years ago.  Since WP7 is the newest operating system on the block, there is good reason to think that it has the most life left in it before a complete overhaul breaks database and app support.

All OS's move forward, and some obsolescence will result.  You don't really think that the Android phone or iOS you buy today will remain cutting edge two years from now, do you?  Many current phones run Android 1.6.  Some may never be upgraded, and some won't run Android software now avaialble.  First and second gen iPhone users find themselves in the same boat.  It's the price of technological advancement.

If you are worried about "investment protection" as you suggest, and you think MS "bombed" in that category, I assume you refer to the fact that MS made a clean break with its pre-phone OS (Windows Mobile evolved from the PDA OS PocketPC).

This really shouldn't be much of a concern since you are asking the questoin now, and not two years ago.  Since WP7 is the newest operating system on the block, there is good reason to think that it has the most life left in it before a complete overhaul breaks database and app support.

All OS's move forward, and some obsolescence will result.  You don't really think that the Android phone or iOS you buy today will remain cutting edge two years from now, do you?  Many current phones run Android 1.6.  Some may never be upgraded, and some won't run Android software now avaialble.  First and second gen iPhone users find themselves in the same boat.  It's the price of technological advancement.

5 of 6 (2,552 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2010 1:34:29 PM
(0)
Mentor

If you are concerned about "ease of use," and if WP7 is on your short list, consider this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/8059298/Windows-Phone-7-has-a-quick-learning-curve-s...

If you are concerned about "ease of use," and if WP7 is on your short list, consider this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/8059298/Windows-Phone-7-has-a-quick-learning-curve-says-Stephen-Fry.html

6 of 6 (2,550 Views)