Which ATT phones do not require DATA PLAN/Messaging PLan etc ?

Teacher

Which ATT phones do not require DATA PLAN/Messaging PLan etc ?

Hi,

To make long story (hate mandatory data plan business) short (want new phones), which phone do not require data plan (I guess there will be some ugly looking phones still around btu can't find a way to find those in att or letstalk or wirefly sites easily) ? Are there any phone which has wifi capability but does not require att data plan ?

I would appreciate if some angel could help me to save life out of this crowded smartphone world.

Message 1 of 21
Scholar

Re: Which ATT phones do not require DATA PLAN/Messaging PLan etc ?

Rumor has it that unlocked phones would do wonders, say, Nokia 5800 :-). Also the Nokia C3 if bought from Walmart as a prepaid and 'liberated'.

Message 2 of 21
Expert

turbo46032 wrote:

Rumor has it that unlocked phones would do wonders, say, Nokia 5800 :-). Also the Nokia C3 if bought from Walmart as a prepaid and 'liberated'.

Then all you have to do is hope and pray that they do not alreadyh have the range of IMEI's on file for that paticular phone, if they do the plan/feature will be added by their system eventually.

Message 3 of 21

I don't believe any AT&T-branded non-smartphones are wi-fi capable (without modifications).  However, there are unbranded phones that have wi-fi.  This one is getting a bit old now, but the primary example I've seen is Sony Ericsson's C905, which in AT&T form does not support wi-fi but in generic form does.

If you don't want to worry about whether AT&T will identify your device and how it will be classified, just follow a couple of simple rules.

1. If you don't want smartphone data ($15 for 200MB or $25 2GB, with no messaging requirement), don't choose a phone that runs a smartphone OS (Blackberry's OS, Palm's WebOS, Apple's iOS, Android, Symbian, or Windows Mobile/Windows Phone).

2. If you don't want to pay at least $20 in combined messaging and data features (either unlimited messaging alone, or $5 for 200 messages and $15 unlimited feature phone data), then don't get a touchscreen phone, and don't get a phone with a texting keypad (QWERTY or anything more than the standard 12-key dial pad).

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 21
Professor

If I'm not mistaken, the original G1 wasn't even a ATT phone (tmobile?) and it was required by ATT to have the data plan if used on their network. It was systematically detected from the IMEI.

Message 5 of 21
Teacher

Well, part of my question was which phones don not require the data plans? Can I have a web link or any search tool that give the option to choose phones that does not require data plan. If I go to att or wirefly or letstalk (popular locations) to buy cell phones, i can't easily figure out which phones don't need data plans until I add each phone and add service plan etc.

Message 6 of 21
Master

Easy...go to the Shop All Phones page on AT&T and look for a phone that doesn't have a footnote saying a minimum data or messaging plan is required.

newuser2009 wrote:

Hi,

To make long story (hate mandatory data plan business) short (want new phones), which phone do not require data plan (I guess there will be some ugly looking phones still around btu can't find a way to find those in att or letstalk or wirefly sites easily) ? Are there any phone which has wifi capability but does not require att data plan ?

I would appreciate if some angel could help me to save life out of this crowded smartphone world.

Message 7 of 21
Master

BrianfromNO wrote:

Easy...go to the Shop All Phones page on AT&T and look for a phone that doesn't have a footnote saying a minimum data or messaging plan is required.

newuser2009 wrote:

Hi,

I do agree - at&t really needs to add a way to their own website to screen out all devices that they classify as smartphones or QMDs.  Smiley Sad  The majority of the devices offered are of these "special" types that require the addition of various feature packages.

According to this fairly recent announcement of the AT&T F160 by WirelessForeman, there should be a "Basics Wall", although I've never been able to find it.  That "wall" sounds like a logical place for non-smartphone/non-QMDs to be.

AT&T F160

The closest thing I can find at at&t's website is the "Easy to Use" designation, but it only contains two devices and one of them is subject to the QMD requirements.  (And I don't think the F160 is listed on it either.)

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 21
Teacher

hme83, thanks. you really understood my question. There should be a simple way for the users to filter out all the smart phones and leave only the "real phones" for us(who are not so smart to pay for the smart phones).

Does anyone have any suggestions*names of such phones which I can buy without paying those extras? My current contract expired more than a year ago but did not upgrade phone due to this data plan requirement. Unfortunately, all the decent phones that I have seen so far require some of these extras. Very frustrating how the consumers being ripped off. Cell phone means freedom everywhere in the world but not in USA.

Message 9 of 21
Master

newuser2009 wrote:

hme83, thanks. you really understood my question. There should be a simple way for the users to filter out all the smart phones and leave only the "real phones" for us(who are not so smart to pay for the smart phones).

Does anyone have any suggestions*names of such phones which I can buy without paying those extras? My current contract expired more than a year ago but did not upgrade phone due to this data plan requirement. Unfortunately, all the decent phones that I have seen so far require some of these extras. Very frustrating how the consumers being ripped off. Cell phone means freedom everywhere in the world but not in USA.

You're welcome.

In terms of phones that at&t is currently carrying, as mentioned the AT&T F160 does not seem to be subject to any additional feature plan requirements.  Also the Pantech Breeze II from the "Easy to Use" filter at at&t's website.  You could also obtain a prepaid device and just not activate it with the SIM that comes with the prepaid phone - instead just place your post paid SIM in the phone and begin using it.  If you find a device that is being sold as a prepaid phone by at&t that you are interested in, I would take the additional step of looking at their offering for post paid phones and double check to ensure it is not subject to additional feature plan requirements since you would actually be using it on a post paid plan.  (I don't know for certain if the additional feature would be added, but I'd err on the cautious side of assuming the feature would probably be added since at&t will recognize the model from the IMEI, and they would be within their rights to do so.)

Outside of at&t you can look for non-branded (non-subsidized) models with the features that you want and that at&t has never carried.  Just be certain anything you choose has both the 850 and 1900 mhz GSM and 3G frequencies for use with at&t's service.  (If you don't care about having 3G data service, then you only need to be concerned with the GSM frequencies.)  Nokia and Sony Ericsson are a good place to start - they make quite a few models that are compatible with at&t's GSM service with a good variety of features in models that do not use S60 - although I've not had any issue with at&t adding a smartphone data plan to my non-branded S60 device, and there are many other non-branded Nokia users who continue to have the same experience as well. Smiley Wink

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 10 of 21

There's no easy way to filter just these phones, and it would be nice if there were.  Still, a few moments browsing the available phones shows these as the currently available (online) non-smartphone, non-QMD phones:

AT&T F160
LG CF360
LG GU295
LG Shine II
Nokia 2330
Nokia 2720
Nokia 6350
Pantech Breeze II
Samsung a777
Samsung Rugby II
Sony Ericsson W518a

That doesn't include prepaid-only phones, such as AT&T's R225 and Samsung's a107 or a197.

If you're looking for a non-smartphone with wi-fi, I still believe the best (or only) option is to go unbranded.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 21
Teacher

Thanks for listing the basic phones. Do you know which one has best call quality and battery life? These are my top wish list of features.

Message 12 of 21
Master

Out of the list above, I just got my dad the Rugby II and it's been working out great.  The calls I've made using it have been clear and the battery is holding up good so far.

Haven't found anything wrong with it yet.

Message 13 of 21
Teacher

Thanks. I noticed that verizon offers great feature phones (with qwert keyboard, touch screens etc) that do not require data plan!! Somehting I should be thinking seriously. ATT seem like ripping off loyal customers.

Message 14 of 21
Master

newuser2009 wrote:

Thanks. I noticed that verizon offers great feature phones (with qwert keyboard, touch screens etc) that do not require data plan!! Somehting I should be thinking seriously. ATT seem like ripping off loyal customers.

I don't think that being a "loyal" customer should change the way that AT&T or any other company for that matter thinks or changes the policies specifically for that person(s). Every customer is treated the same way whether you've been with them for ten years, or ten days. Nobody is entitled to "special treatment" based on longevity. No "loyal" customer will get a discount on anything, especially new equipment. That's just the way it works, and that is their policy.

For Verizon's QMD's, I'm sure that some of them offer a mandatory messaging plan, even if data is spared. That seems to be what all of the major carriers are doing nowadays.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support