Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 8, 2010
8:47:04 PM
View profile
Where is the directory for the Samsung Captivate music player files?

I've installed Samsung's drivers and the device is recognized. However, whenever I try to transfer files I have to dig down to the directory. When I go to the music player app, it is empty. Tried copying to multiple directories and still nothing. I'm using Windows explorer to drag n' drop and clearly saving in the wrong place. Mass storage is enabled. I've also tried with the 'music player' setting and used Windows Media Player, and no go. I need ( for now ) to use the internal storage. Any help appreciated!

I've installed Samsung's drivers and the device is recognized. However, whenever I try to transfer files I have to dig down to the directory. When I go to the music player app, it is empty. Tried copying to multiple directories and still nothing. I'm using Windows explorer to drag n' drop and clearly saving in the wrong place. Mass storage is enabled. I've also tried with the 'music player' setting and used Windows Media Player, and no go. I need ( for now ) to use the internal storage. Any help appreciated!

Where is the directory for the Samsung Captivate music player files?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 8, 2010 9:26:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Try forcing a media scan. There's a free app called ScanMedia in the Market that will do just that.

Try forcing a media scan. There's a free app called ScanMedia in the Market that will do just that.

Re: Where is the directory for the Samsung Captivate music player files?

2 of 4 (1,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 7:17:39 AM
(0)
Master

The only way for any media file shows up in music player is through media scan or through Media Player USB connection.

Media scan only occurs:

1. When you power on the phone

2. When you unmount or dis-connect the USB in Mass storage mode.

It doesn't really matter where the files located. There is no way, at least I know of, to force a manual media scan.

If you don't want to use media scan, setup your phone to use Media player USB mode and use Windows Media Player to sync your songs over. This will automatically update the music library on your phone. But I found this mode quite buggy in stock firmware and I have to reboot phones quite often to make it work.

The only way for any media file shows up in music player is through media scan or through Media Player USB connection.

Media scan only occurs:

1. When you power on the phone

2. When you unmount or dis-connect the USB in Mass storage mode.

It doesn't really matter where the files located. There is no way, at least I know of, to force a manual media scan.

If you don't want to use media scan, setup your phone to use Media player USB mode and use Windows Media Player to sync your songs over. This will automatically update the music library on your phone. But I found this mode quite buggy in stock firmware and I have to reboot phones quite often to make it work.

3 of 4 (1,308 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 8:07:28 AM
(0)
Tutor

foxbat121 wrote:
There is no way, at least I know of, to force a manual media scan.

Yes, you can. I posted the name of the app above.

foxbat121 wrote:
There is no way, at least I know of, to force a manual media scan.

Yes, you can. I posted the name of the app above.

4 of 4 (1,300 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments