Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Professor

Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

I have not frequented this forum in a bit as I have turned more into an XDA kind of guy, but this site used to be awesome for device  { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation.  Where is the  { Inappropriate comment removed } for Windows Phone 7?  This OS looks like it rocks and will certainly push the pace of smartphones for the next several years.  All of the hands on reviews seem consistent and say that it is slicker and more robust than the Iphone and "out Apples, Apple."  The one thing that I have not seen or heard mention of, is how/if att wireless will bring this OS to us.  Bad news for us early adapters in the past is that there looks to be NO WAY to upgrade a former WinMo 6.5 phone and we will need new hardware.  Also for those of us enjoying playing with HTC Sense, that UI may have to fall by the wayside.

As a former att 3125 (StarTrek), att 8925 Tilt, HTC Fuze and HTC Tilt II owner, I am simply not buying another phone until the release of the Windows Phone 7 series.  So there is the question.  What does att wireless have in store for us?  Will they sell it unhindered with att 'malware' as its virgin form, it simply crushes the att wireless flagship, the Iphone?

Message Edited by Caretaker on 02-16-2010 11:09:33 AM
Message 1 of 71
Master

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

vplaza wrote:

You're right about questioning the LG WM phones.  If the eXpo is indicative of their efforts, then definitely need to be cautious about their first attempt.

eXpo is LG's second WM phone for AT&T. The first one is Incite. Both are horrible WM phones.

As for Android synchronizing with Exchange, I have not been following Android enough, but I thought that Google is leaving this to third party developers to come up with. 

Google license Exchange ActiveSync from MS and implemented in current generation of Andriod phones. It just didn't implement all the security policies required. For most companies, it might be fine.

Message 31 of 71
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

http://apcmag.com/microsoft-no-windows-phone-7-upgrade-for-windows-mobile-6x-devices.htm

this has already been posted in this thread (similar article) but I have to agree that this is a huge surprise though Microsoft did state that the 7 Series phone would have to have dedicated function buttons.  I can see XDA porting the OS, but I cannot see it working as designed without the mandatory harware.  I can see myself endig up with a phone that looks like 7 series but is actually more crippled that WinMo 6.5.  I'd be better off just skinning.  I will not buy an LG phone.  I'll be waiting for the first 7 series from HTC.  What is it going to be people?

Message 32 of 71
Professor

Any word yet on Windows Phone 7 Series handsets?
Message 33 of 71
Professor

Wow, no word yet on att wireleess phone updates?  Nothing on the Windows Phne 7 front?  I really had not believed that att was as in the bag with Apple as apparently they are.  Any idea what our future handset is?  Is it really timee to turn to Android?

Message 34 of 71
Professor

Paolo01 wrote:

Wow, no word yet on att wireleess phone updates?  Nothing on the Windows Phne 7 front?  I really had not believed that att was as in the bag with Apple as apparently they are.  Any idea what our future handset is?  Is it really timee to turn to Android?

WP7 will arrive for the holidays. I think we will start getting more info as we get closer. It is still a long time away.

Message 35 of 71
Professor

guandalf wrote:

WP7 will arrive for the holidays. I think we will start getting more info as we get closer. It is still a long time away.

A long time away?  For att.  I think that this is the most disturbing part is that it is NOT a long time away, especially for att.  They have not even made an announcement and we all know how long att will in house test this thing once the handset is chosen.  With the 1st quarter gone, I think that it is actually looking less likely that we will get a WP7 for the holidays.  It looks like a 3rd and 4th quarter with no options except IPhone 4 and Android. 

I base the time estimations on our waits for the 3125, Tilt and Fuze.  We knew about those for 9 months before they were finally released for sale.  Unless there is some sort of behind the sccenes collaboration between HTC and att (highly unlikely) similar to Apples collaboration, the first WP7 phones will not be released 'att approved'.

We would need an announcement NLT June to get a WP7 handset in our hands by the holidays.  (Holiday sales start November)

Message 36 of 71
Master

To be fair, quite a few Samsung WM Phones (BJ1, BJ2, Jack and Epix) actually never was announced until they were about to release them. Same goes for LG WM phones. It seems only HTC phones are the exceptions.

But realistically, I wouldn't touch any WP7 V1.0 phones until mid 2011 when Microsoft irons out most issues and completed all the features (copy-n-paste and multitasking).

Message 37 of 71
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

To be fair, quite a few Samsung WM Phones (BJ1, BJ2, Jack and Epix) actually never was announced until they were about to release them. Same goes for LG WM phones. It seems only HTC phones are the exceptions.

But realistically, I wouldn't touch any WP7 V1.0 phones until mid 2011 when Microsoft irons out most issues and completed all the features (copy-n-paste and multitasking).

I really can't wait for a WP7, on the other hand. Smiley Happy

Message 38 of 71
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

Hmmm..You may be correcct about the announcements for the Samsung and LG's.  However, I am talking about, no kidding, varsity HTC WM phones, which were all announced and then took many months before being made available.  I don't see this WP7 as being a 'surprise' item, especially as HTC's hardware is all announced before the mobile company selects a handset.

As for the multi tasking andd cut and pasting.  I have to believe that this is simply bad information, otherwise it may be the death of WM/WP7.  At that point, why not go to IP or Android.  Customization and Windows Office interface are what WM has sold to this point on.  Without it, there arre simply better phones out there.

Oh, and I woul like to be able to get access to two msn/hotmail type acccounts on one phone.  Is that too much to ask.

Message 39 of 71
Master

Given the quality of the demo code I got to play with the released CTP (and hacked to allow all features enabled), MS has a long way to go to finish the product. The missing features of copy-n-paste and Multitasking is no bad information. Even MS admits the lack of copy-n-paste and promised finish it after release. Multitasking is a decision already made. It will be very similar to new iPhone OS 4.0's 'multi-tasking'.

Message 40 of 71
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

Given the quality of the demo code I got to play with the released CTP (and hacked to allow all features enabled), MS has a long way to go to finish the product. The missing features of copy-n-paste and Multitasking is no bad information. Even MS admits the lack of copy-n-paste and promised finish it after release. Multitasking is a decision already made. It will be very similar to new iPhone OS 4.0's 'multi-tasking'.

Well, I have to say that given a choice between a crippled WP7 and IP4, I will look VERY hard at ANDROID.  I figure that if WP7 is going to dumb down, I may as well support a competing OS that may eventually offer more freedom than both WP7 and IP4.  I LOVE my WM, but I will not settle for LESS than I have now in terms of capability.

Message 41 of 71
Master

The problem I have with Android phones right now is that it is in the exact same situation as WM/CE devices today as far as OS upgrades go. You have Google make OS changes, OEM integrates into their next ROM and Carries then test and approve them. Unless you bought Google's own Nexus One, it will be a looooong wait for your next OS updates. You have Andriod OS 1.5, 1.6, 2.1 devices all on the market and it's the carriers and device makers the ones to make the decision whether you get the next OS update or not.

Message 42 of 71
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

The problem I have with Android phones right now is that it is in the exact same situation as WM/CE devices today as far as OS upgrades go. You have Google make OS changes, OEM integrates into their next ROM and Carries then test and approve them. Unless you bought Google's own Nexus One, it will be a looooong wait for your next OS updates. You have Andriod OS 1.5, 1.6, 2.1 devices all on the market and it's the carriers and device makers the ones to make the decision whether you get the next OS update or not.

Yes, but we have XDA, don't we?

Message 43 of 71
Master

That's another problem I'm try to avoid. If I'm going to a new Phone OS, why should I need to hack the phone before I can get my desired features or updates? No ofense to XDA guys, most of the ROMs are just piece different ROM pieces from different phones together to get a 90% working ROM. That's not what I wanted.

Message 44 of 71
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

That's another problem I'm try to avoid. If I'm going to a new Phone OS, why should I need to hack the phone before I can get my desired features or updates? No ofense to XDA guys, most of the ROMs are just piece different ROM pieces from different phones together to get a 90% working ROM. That's not what I wanted.

I agree with that. The Android problem you described earlier is also what many bloggers and analysts talk about, calling the OS fragmented.

Message 45 of 71
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support