Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Professor

Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

[ Edited ]

I have not frequented this forum in a bit as I have turned more into an XDA kind of guy, but this site used to be awesome for device  { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation.  Where is the  { Inappropriate comment removed } for Windows Phone 7?  This OS looks like it rocks and will certainly push the pace of smartphones for the next several years.  All of the hands on reviews seem consistent and say that it is slicker and more robust than the Iphone and "out Apples, Apple."  The one thing that I have not seen or heard mention of, is how/if att wireless will bring this OS to us.  Bad news for us early adapters in the past is that there looks to be NO WAY to upgrade a former WinMo 6.5 phone and we will need new hardware.  Also for those of us enjoying playing with HTC Sense, that UI may have to fall by the wayside.

As a former att 3125 (StarTrek), att 8925 Tilt, HTC Fuze and HTC Tilt II owner, I am simply not buying another phone until the release of the Windows Phone 7 series.  So there is the question.  What does att wireless have in store for us?  Will they sell it unhindered with att 'malware' as its virgin form, it simply crushes the att wireless flagship, the Iphone?

Message Edited by Caretaker on 02-16-2010 11:09:33 AM
Message 1 of 71 (3,855 Views)
Mentor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Paolo01 wrote:

sinanju wrote:

Keep in mind that WM 7 has no compatibility with previous versions.  App vendors are going to need time to catch up.  I've got nine different apps on my phone that I can't do without -- if somebody handed me a WM 7 device tomorrow, I couldn't do a thing with it.

This is not quite true from what I understand.  Hardware will exhibit no backwards compatablity EXCEPT for possibly the HTC HD2 which att does not even offer.  Software wise, Apps will work, though they will not be able to utilize all of Windows Phone 7 Series functionality and may have to be used in some sort of 'compatability' mode.

If you can provide an example of a 'can't live without app' I can do a bit more checking.  You may have to access the app from the program menu instead of a 'wheel' but it will still work.

"The fears of many, unfortunately, have materialized. While previously there were a glimpse of hope that they would ensure compatibility of Windows Phone 7 with millions of applications for the previous versions of Windows Mobile, one way or another, now there is none. The new operating system hinges on a completely new kernel, that makes it impossible to have any sort of compatibility with older OS editions."

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2010/mwc-microsoft-en.shtml

Message 16 of 71 (1,988 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

sinanju wrote: 

"The fears of many, unfortunately, have materialized. While previously there were a glimpse of hope that they would ensure compatibility of Windows Phone 7 with millions of applications for the previous versions of Windows Mobile, one way or another, now there is none. The new operating system hinges on a completely new kernel, that makes it impossible to have any sort of compatibility with older OS editions."

http://www.mobile-review.com/articles/2010/mwc-microsoft-en.shtml

Interestingly, the more I read about 7 series, the more I am hoping for a cut from previous WinMo series OS's.  So long as they keep the ability to tweak and customize, I think that the idea of designing a new more efficient kernal, FINALLY, is a great idea.

Oh and some resources are still talking about a compatability mode, though again, I am not sure that is such a great idea.

Message 17 of 71 (1,950 Views)
Teacher

Multiple sources have confirmed that the HD2 to be launched by T-Mobile will have increased RAM and ROM (compared to the versions released in other parts of the world) to make it upgradable to WM 7.

This was the main reason I finally decided not to buy the Telstra HD2. Personally, I think ATT dropped the ball big time by not carrying the HD2. I don't like T-Mobile's current 3G coverage (although it is catching up fast), but the HD2 is really hard to resist when it becomes available in March. 

Message 18 of 71 (1,924 Views)
Professor

Tilting wrote:

Multiple sources have confirmed that the HD2 to be launched by T-Mobile will have increased RAM and ROM (compared to the versions released in other parts of the world) to make it upgradable to WM 7.

This was the main reason I finally decided not to buy the Telstra HD2. Personally, I think ATT dropped the ball big time by not carrying the HD2. I don't like T-Mobile's current 3G coverage (although it is catching up fast), but the HD2 is really hard to resist when it becomes available in March. 

Does anybody know 'the reason' att did not go with the HD2?  There was some talk a while ago that they did not want too many WinMo 6.5 platforms floating around at the break of 7 series.  att knows that this board and many others will start screaming around the 7 series release begging for upgrades and it sounds like that is just not going to happen except possibly for the HD2.  I would not be surprised if att doen not carry the HTC 'built for' 7 series OS come this fall, which will no doubt be more current tech than the current and beautiful (not sure if I am alowed to say seksy) HD2 and HTC Legend and Desire. (I know those phones are not all WinMo)  Point beig, why set themselves up for heartburn when they are simply goig to stop supporting WinMo upon the release of 7 Series.

Message 19 of 71 (1,896 Views)
Master

Looks like HD2 may not get any WP7 upgrade after all http://www.wmexperts.com/windows-phone-7-series-upgrades-not-possible
Message 20 of 71 (1,776 Views)

foxbat121 wrote:
Looks like HD2 may not get any WP7 upgrade after all http://www.wmexperts.com/windows-phone-7-series-upgrades-not-possible

In total contradiction with this article:  http://htcpedia.com/news/htc-hd2-leo-windows_7.html.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 21 of 71 (1,381 Views)
Master

Can run WP7 and will it allow to are two different issues, especially when you consider that it is from Microsoft. Although I have to laugh at the excuses MS gave (2 buttons too much than what WP7 allows).
Message 22 of 71 (1,381 Views)
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:
Can run WP7 and will it allow to are two different issues, especially when you consider that it is from Microsoft. Although I have to laugh at the excuses MS gave (2 buttons too much than what WP7 allows).

Its less about the fact that there are too many buttons, and more about the fact that there is no dedicated "search" button, which is a WP7 requirement.  The button layout can be changed for a carrier or WP7 specific version, I'm sure.  But I think they are saying that they won't support an upgraded ROM for currently available versions of the HD2 for this reason (or other reasons).

Message 23 of 71 (1,377 Views)
Mentor

foxbat121 wrote:

Definitely disappointing if true.  The best WinMo phone out, not yet released in the US market, now possibly maimed by this.  And this puts people like me in a bind since I need a new phone.

Message 24 of 71 (1,369 Views)
Professor

vplaza wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

Definitely disappointing if true.  The best WinMo phone out, not yet released in the US market, now possibly maimed by this.  And this puts people like me in a bind since I need a new phone.

Tough spot to be in, when you are in need of new hardware due to failure (or impending failure), and we are obviously in a "transitional" phase right now.

Message 25 of 71 (1,365 Views)

I will bet once a leaked version is out, the boys over at XDA and WMExperts will find a way to port the new OS to existing devices!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 26 of 71 (1,366 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

vplaza wrote:

I'd say it's a good time to try out something else, like the upcoming Andriod phones for AT&T. By the time you can upgrade again, there will be plenty of WM phones to chose from (and probably much better than HD2 as well) if Microsoft's WP7 plan pans out. If not, what do you have to lose anyway? Better than holding on to a piece of outdated hardware.

Message Edited by foxbat121 on 03-01-2010 01:14:37 PM
Message 27 of 71 (1,350 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:

vplaza wrote:

I'd say it's a good time to try out something else, like the upcoming Andriod phones for AT&T. By the time you can upgrade again, there will be plenty of WM phones to chose from (and probably much better than HD2 as well) if Microsoft's WP7 plan pans out. If not, what do you have to lose anyway? Better than holding on to a piece of outdated hardware.

Message Edited by foxbat121 on 03-01-2010 01:14:37 PM

Unfortunately, it's like choosing the lesser of evils for me.  I absolutely detest the iPhone (well, probably the company and the lemmings more than the device itself) and can't really bring myself to buy one.  And Android doesn't appear to have full Exchange and MS Office support, which I need for work.  Plus, I don't really like Google the company (though not as much as I do Apple).  But I need a new device and having to pick from these two is just not a particularly enjoyable position for me to be in.

I was willing to switch to a network with less coverage to get the best WinMo phone but with hopes that it would be upgradeable to WP7 down the road.  Until this news is confirmed or denied, however, I'm not sure I'm willing to do that now.  What a pain.

Message Edited by vplaza on 03-01-2010 10:45:24 AM
Message 28 of 71 (1,340 Views)
Master

Well, LG claims it will have THE first WP7 phone out by Sept. 2010. Let's see how that works out. However, judging by the past quality of LG WM phones, I wouldn't be the first rush out to buy one.

Andriod phones do support Exchange sync though not as complete as WM phones. But it probably will get the job done depending on what your corporate IT demands.

Message 29 of 71 (1,331 Views)
Mentor

foxbat121 wrote:

Well, LG claims it will have THE first WP7 phone out by Sept. 2010. Let's see how that works out. However, judging by the past quality of LG WM phones, I wouldn't be the first rush out to buy one.

Andriod phones do support Exchange sync though not as complete as WM phones. But it probably will get the job done depending on what your corporate IT demands.

You're right about questioning the LG WM phones.  If the eXpo is indicative of their efforts, then definitely need to be cautious about their first attempt.

As for Android synchronizing with Exchange, I have not been following Android enough, but I thought that Google is leaving this to third party developers to come up with.  And I was under the impression that the first solutions had costs associated with them.  Besides, I believe Google wants the world to use GMail and Google Apps anyway, so perhaps they don't have a lot of incentive to provide Exchange and Office compatibility anyway.  Just my opinion, though.

Message 30 of 71 (1,319 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.