Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Professor

Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

[ Edited ]

I have not frequented this forum in a bit as I have turned more into an XDA kind of guy, but this site used to be awesome for device  { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation.  Where is the  { Inappropriate comment removed } for Windows Phone 7?  This OS looks like it rocks and will certainly push the pace of smartphones for the next several years.  All of the hands on reviews seem consistent and say that it is slicker and more robust than the Iphone and "out Apples, Apple."  The one thing that I have not seen or heard mention of, is how/if att wireless will bring this OS to us.  Bad news for us early adapters in the past is that there looks to be NO WAY to upgrade a former WinMo 6.5 phone and we will need new hardware.  Also for those of us enjoying playing with HTC Sense, that UI may have to fall by the wayside.

As a former att 3125 (StarTrek), att 8925 Tilt, HTC Fuze and HTC Tilt II owner, I am simply not buying another phone until the release of the Windows Phone 7 series.  So there is the question.  What does att wireless have in store for us?  Will they sell it unhindered with att 'malware' as its virgin form, it simply crushes the att wireless flagship, the Iphone?

Message Edited by Caretaker on 02-16-2010 11:09:33 AM
Message 1 of 71 (3,853 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

foxbat121 wrote:

According to leaked WP7 architechture doc, all WP7 updates are handled by Microsoft directly. There are also limits on how many carrier bloatwares can be loaded and no trialwares.

Yes.  That is the justification that Microsoft is using for releasing the first OS 1.0 verion, non feature complete as well.  Persolannly, I am loving the idea of keeping att out of the update and bloatware cycle.  Att is notorious for taking forevef to approve OS updates.  Just look at Blackberry updaates on the BB forum if you think that WM updates are unique.

Message 61 of 71 (1,627 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

I love these videos which show how deep Office is integrated into wp7.

Message 62 of 71 (1,583 Views)
Professor

WP7 will not have carrier bloatware!

Message 63 of 71 (1,554 Views)
Professor

Hurray!!!

Message 64 of 71 (1,522 Views)
Professor

New videos of WP7, showing email, calendar, and Office Live Hub.

Message 65 of 71 (1,451 Views)
Professor

Hmmm...another month and no word on potential att WP7 handsets.  And we were betting on a handset available by November.  Things are not looking good.  One HUGE thing that we have going for us is that it appears that att will not be able to add software to the OS excepts in one program wheel limited to six programs.  That may mean that this phone can be sold by att without its standard six month testing on the network.  That testing is primarily figuring out how to cripple the OS and cram as much bloatware onto the system as possible.  Without that possibility, the time from release by manufacturer to sale by network may be minimized.    But I still maintain that we would need to see a handset by the end of July to get an handset into the consumers hands by this holiday season.

Message 66 of 71 (1,239 Views)
Professor

Well, things are really not looking good now.  We have a middling to mediocre ANDROID offering by att and of course, a new Iphone.  I am not holding my breath for a decent WP7 offering.  I think that att is officially Apple Wireless now.  It is a shame as I really like GSM and I travel and like att phone portability to other international networks.  Oh well, maybe it is time to give Sprint and the Evo a chance.

Message 67 of 71 (934 Views)
Master

WP7 is nowhere near finish yet (latest build is still very buggy). No carrier or even device maker announced any deinitive release information yet. Why AT&T should be different?

Message 68 of 71 (890 Views)
Professor

foxbat121 wrote:

WP7 is nowhere near finish yet (latest build is still very buggy). No carrier or even device maker announced any deinitive release information yet. Why AT&T should be different?

Foxbat, I agree, except that there was word of a holiday season release of WP7.  We should be finding out about those now.  If a handset is to be sold in Nov, it would need to be at or near completion by July. 

Why should att say anything, because they used to lead in mobile phone innovation and availability.  Now the only thing att leads in is the Iphone and international portability of units.  That is sad.

Message 69 of 71 (887 Views)
Master

Paolo01 wrote:

Why should att say anything, because they used to lead in mobile phone innovation and availability.  Now the only thing att leads in is the Iphone and international portability of units.  That is sad.

From the business point of view, AT&T still is a leader in mobile phone area. How many iPhone 4s has been sold for pre-order? No other carrier can even come close.

I don't see WP7 as a viable option this holiday season. Next year maybe.

Message 70 of 71 (874 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Here is a video which basically confirms the first phones will be out in October.

Message 71 of 71 (564 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.