Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Highlighted
Professor

Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

[ Edited ]

I have not frequented this forum in a bit as I have turned more into an XDA kind of guy, but this site used to be awesome for device  { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation.  Where is the  { Inappropriate comment removed } for Windows Phone 7?  This OS looks like it rocks and will certainly push the pace of smartphones for the next several years.  All of the hands on reviews seem consistent and say that it is slicker and more robust than the Iphone and "out Apples, Apple."  The one thing that I have not seen or heard mention of, is how/if att wireless will bring this OS to us.  Bad news for us early adapters in the past is that there looks to be NO WAY to upgrade a former WinMo 6.5 phone and we will need new hardware.  Also for those of us enjoying playing with HTC Sense, that UI may have to fall by the wayside.

 

As a former att 3125 (StarTrek), att 8925 Tilt, HTC Fuze and HTC Tilt II owner, I am simply not buying another phone until the release of the Windows Phone 7 series.  So there is the question.  What does att wireless have in store for us?  Will they sell it unhindered with att 'malware' as its virgin form, it simply crushes the att wireless flagship, the Iphone?

Message Edited by Caretaker on 02-16-2010 11:09:33 AM
Message 1 of 71 (3,856 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

The following article claims that ATT is "on-board" with Windows Phone 7:

 

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Windows-Mobile-Phone-7-Series,news-5836.html

 

The article also says that WP7 is not due until before the 2010 holiday season, with the first device (HTC) not expected until Q4.  So its probably way too early for ATT to be talking about carrying such a device (especially as they are busy milking the iPhone cow).

 

I believe Microsoft has already commented serveral times in the past that WP7 will require brand new devices, and no existing WM6.5 devices will be upgradeable to the new OS.  That may be a good thing, since in the past the WM market has been glutted with low-quality software due in large part to trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator (older devices, lower specs).  Establishing a fresh hardware standard can do wonders for the potential of the software.  That is definitely one advantage that the iPhone has, in that it really only has one hardware profile (with very small differences in processor speed and memory), so software developers don't need to compromise, and try to get their apps running on endless combinations of hardware.

Message 2 of 71 (3,780 Views)
Master

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

If you noticed in WP7 press release, AT&T is mentioned as one of the carriers that will carry WP7 phones. Seeing as the WP7 OS itself won't be ready for prime time until holiday season, it is simply too early to speculate.

 

Also, I failed to see any substantial technical details about WP7 to back up the claim that it is the best mobile OS ever. All I see if just some slick UI which doesn't guarantee its success unless you have more robust and feature rich OS to back it up.

 

I'll reserve my judgement on WP7's future until I see more details under the hood. It will probably in March when MS releases more detail to dev community in MIX10.

Message 3 of 71 (3,778 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

[ Edited ]

foxbat121 wrote:

If you noticed in WP7 press release, AT&T is mentioned as one of the carriers that will carry WP7 phones. Seeing as the WP7 OS itself won't be ready for prime time until holiday season, it is simply too early to speculate.

 

Also, I failed to see any substantial technical details about WP7 to back up the claim that it is the best mobile OS ever. All I see if just some slick UI which doesn't guarantee its success unless you have more robust and feature rich OS to back it up.

 

I'll reserve my judgement on WP7's future until I see more details under the hood. It will probably in March when MS releases more detail to dev community in MIX10.


 

Assume that Q4 sales start Oct 1st.  That is about 9 months from now.  9 montyhs is MUCH shorter than a design, production, marketing, sales cycle.  We all know that ATT will in house test their handsets for MONTHS before releasing them for sale to the general public.  How long after the Startrek and tilt and Fuze were released until they actually became available from att.  Much longer than 6 months.  By att's past performance, this WP7 phone must be 'known' by att and in production now or VERY shortly, if it has ANY chance of being available for Q4.  I am not putting it past att to try and milk one more holiday season exclusively with the Iphone though and see a Q1 2011 release of any WP7 series.

 

Message Edited by Caretaker on 02-16-2010 12:25:46 PM
Message 4 of 71 (3,770 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


foxbat121 wrote:

If you noticed in WP7 press release, AT&T is mentioned as one of the carriers that will carry WP7 phones. Seeing as the WP7 OS itself won't be ready for prime time until holiday season, it is simply too early to speculate.

 

Also, I failed to see any substantial technical details about WP7 to back up the claim that it is the best mobile OS ever. All I see if just some slick UI which doesn't guarantee its success unless you have more robust and feature rich OS to back it up.

 

I'll reserve my judgement on WP7's future until I see more details under the hood. It will probably in March when MS releases more detail to dev community in MIX10.


Completely agree here.  The interface looks slick.  But it remains to be seen how fast/stable/intuitive the OS would be in day-to-day use. And most of all, I want to see flexibility and customizability (one of the main reasons I was turned off by the iPhone).  Hopefully, the idea of a "Zune phone" does not play out in the same way that the iPhone is basically just an iPod with a phone, rather than a pocket computer that has a phone and music player.

 

Plus, MS really needs to beef up the software selection that will be available for the new OS (not just quantity, but more importantly quality).  Based on the trickle of apps coming to the MS Marketplace, and the technical failures (can't even install apps to the MicroSD card!!!), I'd say MS really needs to step things up in this department.  Its good to see MS actually seems to be trying to create a viable phone platform. But they need to keep the pressure up across the board.

Message 5 of 71 (3,751 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


redpoint73 wrote:

foxbat121 wrote:

If you noticed in WP7 press release, AT&T is mentioned as one of the carriers that will carry WP7 phones. Seeing as the WP7 OS itself won't be ready for prime time until holiday season, it is simply too early to speculate.

 

Also, I failed to see any substantial technical details about WP7 to back up the claim that it is the best mobile OS ever. All I see if just some slick UI which doesn't guarantee its success unless you have more robust and feature rich OS to back it up.

 

I'll reserve my judgement on WP7's future until I see more details under the hood. It will probably in March when MS releases more detail to dev community in MIX10.


Completely agree here.  The interface looks slick.  But it remains to be seen how fast/stable/intuitive the OS would be in day-to-day use. And most of all, I want to see flexibility and customizability (one of the main reasons I was turned off by the iPhone).  Hopefully, the idea of a "Zune phone" does not play out in the same way that the iPhone is basically just an iPod with a phone, rather than a pocket computer that has a phone and music player.

 

Plus, MS really needs to beef up the software selection that will be available for the new OS (not just quantity, but more importantly quality).  Based on the trickle of apps coming to the MS Marketplace, and the technical failures (can't even install apps to the MicroSD card!!!), I'd say MS really needs to step things up in this department.  Its good to see MS actually seems to be trying to create a viable phone platform. But they need to keep the pressure up across the board.


 

What has me looking forward to this phone is the fact that your concern that it not just be an iPod that is a phone, is that those that have touched and interacted with the OS say that it is very much a computer first with an outstanding UI.

 

Yes, MS needs to address several issues, why can't you install on MicroSD's, why can you not access mutliple MSN or Hotmail accounts from the same phone as an outlook account etc, etc, etc.  I REALLY hope that we see these answers soon.  That is what I hope to see in this thread are the "oh hey, here is a link that refers to this common MinMo 6.5 problem and it has been FIXED!"

Message 6 of 71 (3,746 Views)
Master

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


Paolo01 wrote:

 

Assume that Q4 sales start Oct 1st.  That is about 9 months from now.  9 montyhs is MUCH shorter than a design, production, marketing, sales cycle.  We all know that ATT will in house test their handsets for MONTHS before releasing them for sale to the general public.  How long after the Startrek and tilt and Fuze were released until they actually became available from att.  Much longer than 6 months.  By att's past performance, this WP7 phone must be 'known' by att and in production now or VERY shortly, if it has ANY chance of being available for Q4.  I am not putting it past att to try and milk one more holiday season exclusively with the Iphone though and see a Q1 2011 release of any WP7 series.


I wouldn't assume that. All I see is the vague mention of holiday season which means Nov and Dec. 2010. And I would add six more months to that for AT&T's internal testing cycle. As much as I'm excited about next big thing for WM, I don't want to beta testing WP7 version 1.0.

Message 7 of 71 (3,717 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Interesting comments thus far.

  1. The part about beta testing the phone worries me because it is exactly this point which makes me wonder if we are really going to see this phone sold by att wireless this year.  att is INCREADIBLY slow at beta testing and releasing new products, especially if they add to the load on the att 3G network.
  2. As much as I am dying to get my hands on a Windows Phone 7 Series, phone, I am wondering why there has been so little mention of the business applications of this phone.  Are we losing the 'PC' capabilities of the old WinMo OS and hardware and moving to a more iPhone like closed architecture which does its included programs very slickly but cannot be tweaked or expanded or used for anything outside of the original packaging?
  3. HTC is on board with this program and we have to assume that the phones which att will initially market will be manufactured by HTC.  From the looks of it, HTC will have their first Windows Phone 7 Series handset available for sale from HTC by Q3. 

All of this speculation because my current Fuze is simply on its last legs.  I'd really rather not have to purchase an interim piece of hardware.  :-)

Message 8 of 71 (3,642 Views)
Mentor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

Keep in mind that WM 7 has no compatibility with previous versions.  App vendors are going to need time to catch up.  I've got nine different apps on my phone that I can't do without -- if somebody handed me a WM 7 device tomorrow, I couldn't do a thing with it.

 

Message 9 of 71 (3,616 Views)

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


Paolo01 wrote:

All of this speculation because my current Fuze is simply on its last legs.  I'd really rather not have to purchase an interim piece of hardware.  :-)


Since your phone is probably out of warranty, have you considered running a cooked ROM (if you aren't running one already)?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Prev. devices: SGS, Note 2, SGS3, Galaxy Nexus, T-Mobile, G2x, iPhone4, HTC HD2, HTC Fuze, HTC StarTrek, BB Bold
Message 10 of 71 (3,615 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


hidden_dragon wrote:

Paolo01 wrote:

All of this speculation because my current Fuze is simply on its last legs.  I'd really rather not have to purchase an interim piece of hardware.  :-)


Since your phone is probably out of warranty, have you considered running a cooked ROM (if you aren't running one already)?


Hidden_Dragon, you have seen my name on this board long enough to know that I have not run a stock ROM since, well, I got the phone home from the att wireless store :-)  Currently running Energy ROM 'Leo' build 23529 (Feb 16).  And yes, that has brought MUCH more use and stability out of my phone.  I am currently running into hardware issues though, like a laggy home key and woeful battery.  I can eek out another six months though and maybe last until October, but I will be looking for new hardware as soon as a Windows Phone 7 Series is released.  I do not think I can hold out to the Gen 2 phones.

Message 11 of 71 (2,086 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


sinanju wrote:

Keep in mind that WM 7 has no compatibility with previous versions.  App vendors are going to need time to catch up.  I've got nine different apps on my phone that I can't do without -- if somebody handed me a WM 7 device tomorrow, I couldn't do a thing with it.

 


 

This is not quite true from what I understand.  Hardware will exhibit no backwards compatablity EXCEPT for possibly the HTC HD2 which att does not even offer.  Software wise, Apps will work, though they will not be able to utilize all of Windows Phone 7 Series functionality and may have to be used in some sort of 'compatability' mode.

 

If you can provide an example of a 'can't live without app' I can do a bit more checking.  You may have to access the app from the program menu instead of a 'wheel' but it will still work.

Message 12 of 71 (2,085 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)

 Another tidbit on WP7:

 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Phone-7-WP7,9683.html

 

Not sure how this is really news.  And I don't see how this puts MS at a "disadvantage" compared to Android and Apple.  Sure, the Apple OS doesn't cost money, becuase they don't offer it to any manufacturers to make hardware.

 

MS is in the market to sell software, so I don't see why they would offer the OS for free.

Message 13 of 71 (2,079 Views)
Professor

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


redpoint73 wrote:

 Another tidbit on WP7:

 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Windows-Phone-7-WP7,9683.html

 

Not sure how this is really news.  And I don't see how this puts MS at a "disadvantage" compared to Android and Apple.  Sure, the Apple OS doesn't cost money, becuase they don't offer it to any manufacturers to make hardware.

 

MS is in the market to sell software, so I don't see why they would offer the OS for free.


You hit the nail on the head.  MS has ALWAYS charged for its OS as it is a software designer.  That is their business.  They are not in the handset business.  They hope that users will want a similar feel out of their entire suite of products and a cross compatability.  This MS charging for the OS is not news.
Message 14 of 71 (2,050 Views)
Scholar

Re: Where is the Windows Phone 7 { Inappropriate comment removed } and speculation :-)


Paolo01 wrote:

They hope that users will want a similar feel out of their entire suite of products and a cross compatability. 

Cross-compatibility from MS?  Uh-huh.  Their concept of cross-compatibility is to maintain ancient kernel code and tack a "new" UI on top of it.  

 

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I like what I've seen so far.  I just hope the touted flexibility and ease of customization actually makes it to market.  How nice it would be to do simple things like change the backgrounds or tile sizes without having to wait for the awesome groups on xda and other places to hack the OS as has been done since I had my first HP Jornada.

Message 15 of 71 (2,005 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.