Posted Oct 12, 2011
6:35:32 PM
When will the Samsung Focus S be available?

I have an iPhone 4 and an dissappointed with the 4S.  I want a bigger screen and LOVE the super AMOLED!  My wife has a Galaxy S, co-worker has a Focus.  I want Windows Phone 7 and would DEFINITELY want the Focus S, but I'm getting tired of waiting!!!!  :smileyhappy:

Thanks

I have an iPhone 4 and an dissappointed with the 4S.  I want a bigger screen and LOVE the super AMOLED!  My wife has a Galaxy S, co-worker has a Focus.  I want Windows Phone 7 and would DEFINITELY want the Focus S, but I'm getting tired of waiting!!!!  :smileyhappy:

Thanks

When will the Samsung Focus S be available?

13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 12:25:53 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by TammyInMi on Oct 15, 2011 at 12:26:34 PM

I agree...I am holding out for the Samsung Focus S also.  I keep hearing that it will be a Fall release date, but come on already!!  I am glad to hear that you are choosing the Focus S over the iPhone 4s.  I keep getting slack from my friends that I am making a wrong choice, but I am sticking with my decision. :smileywink:

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that our release day is just around the corner!  :smileyvery-happy:

I agree...I am holding out for the Samsung Focus S also.  I keep hearing that it will be a Fall release date, but come on already!!  I am glad to hear that you are choosing the Focus S over the iPhone 4s.  I keep getting slack from my friends that I am making a wrong choice, but I am sticking with my decision. :smileywink:

Lets all keep our fingers crossed that our release day is just around the corner!  :smileyvery-happy:

Re: When will the Samsung Focus S be available?

[ Edited ]
2 of 14 (589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 4:27:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

I really like my Focus, I know the 'S' is supposed to be 4G but what else?  I hope it has tethering capability as the first model of Focus does not...above board tethering anyway. 

TammyInMi wrote:

I really like my Focus, I know the 'S' is supposed to be 4G but what else?  I hope it has tethering capability as the first model of Focus does not...above board tethering anyway. 

TammyInMi wrote:

3 of 14 (581 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2011 5:40:36 PM
(0)
Tutor

The Focus has a 4" Super AMOLED screen, a 1Ghz processor, and a 5Mp rear camera.  It would be very similar to a Samsung Galaxy S.  The Focus S is supposed to have a 4.3" Super AMOLED+ screen, a 1.4Ghz processor, an 8Mp rear camera, and a 1.3Mp front facing camera (for Tango or Skype video calls).  It would be more similar to the newer Galaxy S II.  I think the Focus has 8GB internal memory and the S is supposed to have either 16GB or 32GB (I'm betting 16GB).

Yeah... I've been following it!  They think it showed up during a Microsoft event months ago, and there has been a photo of what everyone thinks is the Focus S plugged in to a USB cable (plugged in to a micro USB port on the bottom of the phone):

Samsung Focus S

I do like the iPhone 4... it's just fine for me right now.  I was REALLY hoping that an iPhone 5 would be introduced with a sleeker design, at least a 4" screen, and with the new hardware updates in the 4S... and I was just too dissappointed with the 4S not being enough of an upgrade from the 4 for me TO upgrade... the Focus S looks great!

The Focus has a 4" Super AMOLED screen, a 1Ghz processor, and a 5Mp rear camera.  It would be very similar to a Samsung Galaxy S.  The Focus S is supposed to have a 4.3" Super AMOLED+ screen, a 1.4Ghz processor, an 8Mp rear camera, and a 1.3Mp front facing camera (for Tango or Skype video calls).  It would be more similar to the newer Galaxy S II.  I think the Focus has 8GB internal memory and the S is supposed to have either 16GB or 32GB (I'm betting 16GB).

Yeah... I've been following it!  They think it showed up during a Microsoft event months ago, and there has been a photo of what everyone thinks is the Focus S plugged in to a USB cable (plugged in to a micro USB port on the bottom of the phone):

Samsung Focus S

I do like the iPhone 4... it's just fine for me right now.  I was REALLY hoping that an iPhone 5 would be introduced with a sleeker design, at least a 4" screen, and with the new hardware updates in the 4S... and I was just too dissappointed with the 4S not being enough of an upgrade from the 4 for me TO upgrade... the Focus S looks great!

4 of 14 (574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 8:27:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

Looking better and better for the Focus S!!!!  Android's newest super phone... the Galaxy Nexus verified to "only" be using a Super AMOLED screen while the Focus S will have a Super AMOLED +:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/the-galaxy-nexus-super-amoled-display-is-a-minus-not-a-plus/

Looking better and better for the Focus S!!!!  Android's newest super phone... the Galaxy Nexus verified to "only" be using a Super AMOLED screen while the Focus S will have a Super AMOLED +:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/21/the-galaxy-nexus-super-amoled-display-is-a-minus-not-a-plus/

5 of 14 (486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 10:59:53 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 21, 2011 at 11:03:24 AM

dallas4u wrote:

That Galaxy Nexus has 1280x720 HD Screen while Focus S only has 800x480 SD screen. World of difference. I will take that HD screen over Super AMOLED+ SD screen any day.

It's a first HD screen on a phone. So using the pen tile Super AMOLED is understandable (less subpixels, easier to manufacture). I'd bet a year from now, we will see Super AMOLED + HD screen.

Focus S isn't going to win any hardware spec war against Android phones (most Android phones are now DUAL-CORE and Focus S is still single core). Probably never will. The software/OS is what matters.

dallas4u wrote:

That Galaxy Nexus has 1280x720 HD Screen while Focus S only has 800x480 SD screen. World of difference. I will take that HD screen over Super AMOLED+ SD screen any day.

It's a first HD screen on a phone. So using the pen tile Super AMOLED is understandable (less subpixels, easier to manufacture). I'd bet a year from now, we will see Super AMOLED + HD screen.

Focus S isn't going to win any hardware spec war against Android phones (most Android phones are now DUAL-CORE and Focus S is still single core). Probably never will. The software/OS is what matters.

[ Edited ]
6 of 14 (476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 4:57:34 PM
(0)
Tutor
Right, of course... for a minute I forgot the Focus S was only 800x480 and, something like 217ppi. Still... not sure why Samsung and Google didn't give the Nexus Samsung's better screen tech.
Right, of course... for a minute I forgot the Focus S was only 800x480 and, something like 217ppi. Still... not sure why Samsung and Google didn't give the Nexus Samsung's better screen tech.

7 of 14 (457 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2011 5:36:37 PM
(0)
Master
Because it is not feasible to manufacture both hd red and rgb layout in a small phone screen size like this. It is a manufacturing limitation. Maybe Samsung technically can do it but the screen alone could cost $$$ for the phone that normal folks can't afford.
Because it is not feasible to manufacture both hd red and rgb layout in a small phone screen size like this. It is a manufacturing limitation. Maybe Samsung technically can do it but the screen alone could cost $$$ for the phone that normal folks can't afford.

8 of 14 (453 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2011 6:18:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

But until now i love my galaxy s2.....

Cheers.....

But until now i love my galaxy s2.....

Cheers.....

9 of 14 (381 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 28, 2011 7:22:09 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by TammyInMi on Oct 28, 2011 at 7:22:46 PM

Good News.....AT&T announced today that the Focus S will be available starting November 6th for $199.99.  Finally!

Good News.....AT&T announced today that the Focus S will be available starting November 6th for $199.99.  Finally!

[ Edited ]
10 of 14 (317 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 8:08:31 AM
(0)
Mentor

Will the Focus S be able to tether wireless and/or  via USB without hacks? 

Will the Focus S be able to tether wireless and/or  via USB without hacks? 

11 of 14 (256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 9:13:37 AM
(0)
Master
Probably yes but you will have to pay the tethering plan before it lets you do it. If wp7 doesn't support this account feature check before allow top use tethering, then you won't see it on the phone. Either way AT&T won't let you tether without paying for it first.
Probably yes but you will have to pay the tethering plan before it lets you do it. If wp7 doesn't support this account feature check before allow top use tethering, then you won't see it on the phone. Either way AT&T won't let you tether without paying for it first.

12 of 14 (253 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 29, 2011 10:28:32 AM
(0)
Mentor

"....AT&T won't let you tether without paying for it first" but they will let you pay for it even if it doesn't work with your phone.  I was willing to give up my 'unlimited' data plan and did to switch to the DataPro 4gb plan that included tethering, lets hope the Focus 'S' has that ability.  Since At&t errored I did get my unlimited data plan back.

"....AT&T won't let you tether without paying for it first" but they will let you pay for it even if it doesn't work with your phone.  I was willing to give up my 'unlimited' data plan and did to switch to the DataPro 4gb plan that included tethering, lets hope the Focus 'S' has that ability.  Since At&t errored I did get my unlimited data plan back.

13 of 14 (245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2011 6:30:10 PM
(0)
Scholar

I got my Focus S today....and I am loving it!

I got my Focus S today....and I am loving it!

14 of 14 (196 Views)