When the heck is the x10 getting the 2.1 update?

Contributor

When the heck is the x10 getting the 2.1 update?

I am very displeased with my "service" from AT&T. After being screwed over by a "helpful" AT&T store employee once and ending up with an LG Vu I should've known better than to take advice from them again, but for some reason I fell for it. Another one of these AT&T store geniuses at a different location assured me that the x10 had the 2.1 update so I was dumb enough to buy the phone at full price since I wasn't anywhere near time for an upgrade.

Well needless to say the x10 doesn't have the 2.1 update. So are we getting it ever, and if so when and how badly will AT&T have damaged it with their modifications? Or will I need to debrand my phone just to get an update that should have been on the phone to begin with?

And if any AT&T employees see this you can be {word filter evasion} sure I will not be renewing my contract when it expires, you do an excellent job of making your competition look good through your own poor service. It's bad enough I'm stuck with you for home phone and DSL (that fails to connect half the time and you refuse to fix).

Message 1 of 9
Mentor

Re: When the heck is the x10 getting the 2.1 update?

I'm just as mad as you are. I picked up the phone about 2 weeks ago hoping for the 2.1 update and sure enough, no update. AT&T likes to sell phones at high prices but offer no support for them so people revert to supporting the phone through other means (flashing, rooting, etc..) Anyways, I heard that the 2.1 update is coming the beginning of next year (hopefully January). That's just a rumor though. Sony Ericsson has a blog that lists the SI numbers of the phone that are getting the update (the list is constantly updated). Here: http://blogs.sonyericsson.com/products/

You can find your SI number on the back of the phone by removing the cover and battery. Mines not on the list so I'm constantly checking. It's a pain in rear. After my contract is up, I'm going straight to verizon. They seem to do a better job from what I hear (and a better Android experience than a locked down one).

Message 2 of 9
Tutor

I purchased the x10 back in September based upon the ATT employee telling me the phone would get the update within the month and I had been using an android phone with T-Mobile .  I ended up having several problems with people having issues hearing me while talking so I switched to the Samsung Samsung i897, I am so glad I did. 

Most carriers aren't quick to release upgrades but Sony-Ericsson released this phone with 1.6 and has been very slow releasing the updates.  Only until recently did they say they would try and do multi-touch.  I'll never buy a Sony phone again. 

Message 3 of 9

Go to the xda developers website for xperia x10a and find the files to flash the 2.1 OS to your phone.  Sony has rolled out the update to the rest of the world but ATT is dragging their feet as usual.  I find the 2.1 OS to be much more user friendly and although i haven't seen it yet since i just flashed today it's reported that battery life is much improved.  Good luck.

Message 4 of 9

Smiley Indifferent Over this past weekend I was told by customer service from their tech support that the phone could be upgraded just by going to Sony Ericsson and down loading the upgrade and then go through the upgrade process. So my wife and I had decided to get two new phones by upgrading to the Xperia X10 and add two lines for my sons using two more X10s. Boys phones arrived Tue. and I went through the upgrade process. NO upgrade! Called customer support and then was told that the upgrade hasn’t been released yet to the AT&T customers as of yet. Smiley Indifferent

Last night I had called in to activate my wife’s and my phones. And the front line customer service person asked me if there was anything else he could do for me. LOL!!! So I asked when is 2.1 going to be released to the phone. He said it had. lol!! I tried to communicate to him that it had been released to the phone but not to AT&T. So he proceeded to get Sony on the phone to help with the upgrade. LOL!!! So they start going into the upgrade spill. I stopped them and told them I have done this and asked both of them if the update has been released to AT&T. (Sony) Hold please! LOL!!  (SONY) Yes, the 2.1 has NOT been released to AT&T and there is no date to be released. So I have 4 phones on 1.6. If I didn’t have family on AT&T I would have gotten the HTC EVO. NOT a satisfied customer!

AT&T Android phones.

HTC Aria (A6366) Shipped with & Current Ver. 2.1

Motorola Backflip (MB300) shipped with 1.5, Current Ver. 2.1

Samsung Captivate (i897) shipped with & Current Ver. 2.1

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 shipped with & Current Ver. 1.6

Buyer’s remorse is 30 days. Day one has started.

Message 5 of 9

Forget getting the update through offical channels it's not gonna happen.  ATT won't release the update becuase they want you to get mad and go trade it in for an Iphone.  It's a buisness decision plain and simple.

If you really want to upgrade and trust me you really do then go here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=827065

and follow the intructions in the post it takes about 5 minutes to upgrade to 2.1

just don't run the "CLEAN" function, it removes a critical file that stops market from downloading.

If you wan't to remove unneccesary files from you X10 download Titanium Backup Pro and back up all the files on your phone then remove the files found on the list here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=826491

It will take you a total of 10 minutes per phone to do this.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 9
Contributor

After being jerked around by AT&T repeatedly I finally debranded my phone last week. Best decision I ever made in regards to AT&T's crap service. I'm jumping ship for a better service as soon as possible. It's miraculous to me AT&T does any business. There was a time when people actually expected to get what they were paying for. It's a shame so many people have just gotten used to paying for a terrible service and paying for features they aren't getting and just accept it as the norm.

The hysterical thing is that when I went to the AT&T store to ask why they felt it necessary to lie about the phone getting the update, they actually tried to sell me an iPhone. I bought an Android phone for a reason, AT&T. Now quit crippling your Android users' phones to sell more iPhone crap.

Also, that's just adorable. A moderator edits a 'bad' word out of my initial post. Maybe if AT&T was more concerned with doing their "darn" jobs instead of playing moral police on swearing on the internet, I wouldn't have been that "freaking" mad and I wouldn't be looking forward to get the "heck" away from them and their crap and get a phone service worth paying for. (There. Is that sanitized enough for you AT&T? Want to start editing my text messages and bleeping my calls, too, while you're at it?)

Message 7 of 9
Master

Corvinus wrote:

Also, that's just adorable. A moderator edits a 'bad' word out of my initial post. Maybe if AT&T was more concerned with doing their "darn" jobs instead of playing moral police on swearing on the internet, I wouldn't have been that "freaking" mad and I wouldn't be looking forward to get the "heck" away from them and their crap and get a phone service worth paying for. (There. Is that sanitized enough for you AT&T? Want to start editing my text messages and bleeping my calls, too, while you're at it?)

I don't blame you one bit for being furious over the update situation with the X10 - but I will say that this is an at&t sponsored site (provided and moderated by a third party), and one of the things I personally appreciate about it is the heavier moderation to the guidelines - so that I don't have to sift through a bunch of garbage to determine what the basis of a users complaint really even is.  There are plenty of other sites available if you want to spout your concerns in more colorful non-value added terms. Smiley Wink

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 8 of 9
Highlighted
Contributor

To all of you who own Xperia X10.  Undoubtedly you found this thread.

1 week of forum reading and research led me to this post.

There are some things you need to know.

1.) ATT packs this phone with garbage software and removes a lot of the phone's options.  Essentially they handicap this machine.

2.) This is one of few droid phones here in the US that does not have the 2.1 update yet.  This is because ATT is dragging their feet and loading their version of 2.1 with handicaps and garbage software.

3.) There is no exact timetable when you will see the update from ATT.  This means your phone is handicapped and you miss out on sweet 2.1 features like live wallpaper and an overall better experience with this phone.

4.) This leaves you with some options.  Your first option is to just deal with it and you get the update when ATT gets around to it. (potentially never)  Your second option is to update your phone manually.  There are links above in this thread showing you where to go.  Don't be afraid to sign up for an account on XDA and ask questions.  They are incredibly helpful!  If you are afraid of doing this to your phone, there are also paid for options...google search "davinciteam".  Its a paid for service ($15) that does the same thing.

5.) I highly recommend doing the updates yourself.  The phone is awesome once they are applied.  No more ATT garbage either.

6.) I have been a loyal customer with ATT for 6 years.  Even when they were still Cingular.  When my contract runs out I will be taking my money to Verizon.  I will be telling everyone who even mentions "cell phone" that they should go anywhere else but ATT.  I suggest you do the same.  ATT has proved with this phone that they do not care whatsoever about their customers. 

I know this because my wife had huge hassles returning her phone (another xperiax10) when it simply didn't work like mine.  Also my buddy with an Iphone had issues.  In fact everyone i talk to that uses ATT has problems with them.  ATT is going to lose huge amounts of people and millions of dollars because of their poor services.

Epic fail ATT.  I will take my money elsewhere as soon as my contract is done.  Maybe even sooner.  My cancellation fee might be worth it just so you don't get my money.

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support