Posted Jan 7, 2012
6:42:26 PM
View profile
When connected to a wireless network, are you charged for data usage?

My husband and I just bought our first iPhones and we have been playing with them a lot as we figure them out.  Mostly at our house where we are connected to our wireless.  This shouldn't count against our data usage should it?

Just making sure!

My husband and I just bought our first iPhones and we have been playing with them a lot as we figure them out.  Mostly at our house where we are connected to our wireless.  This shouldn't count against our data usage should it?

Just making sure!

When connected to a wireless network, are you charged for data usage?

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 7, 2012 9:15:23 PM
(0)
Guru

That is correct. Just remember that when you aren't using your iPhone and it's in sleep mode it reverts back to 3G, which uses data, unless it's connected to power. And be sure to close open apps by double clicking the home button, hold down an app until it wiggles & touch the red X.

kalisnick wrote:

Just making sure!

That is correct. Just remember that when you aren't using your iPhone and it's in sleep mode it reverts back to 3G, which uses data, unless it's connected to power. And be sure to close open apps by double clicking the home button, hold down an app until it wiggles & touch the red X.

kalisnick wrote:

Just making sure!

Re: When connected to a wireless network, are you charged for data usage?

2 of 5 (353 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 7:59:36 AM
(0)
Mentor

Have just gotten iPhone4s, and still trying to understand features. How is "sleep mode" started, and can we set a time for it to be started; ie, after 5 min of no activity? I note that "Lock" feature can be set, but it interrupts session when time is reached for lock.  

Have just gotten iPhone4s, and still trying to understand features. How is "sleep mode" started, and can we set a time for it to be started; ie, after 5 min of no activity? I note that "Lock" feature can be set, but it interrupts session when time is reached for lock.  

3 of 5 (248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 9:32:00 AM
(0)
Guru

I believe Sleep Mode is triggered either by you pressing the power key or by the Auto-Lock feature in Settings-General

I believe Sleep Mode is triggered either by you pressing the power key or by the Auto-Lock feature in Settings-General

4 of 5 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 12, 2012 9:39:54 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

philrob wrote:

Any time the display is OFF the iPhone is in sleep mode. After 15 minutes of the display being off, if the iPhone is not being charged/on AC power, it turns off wifi.

You can control how long it waits to put itself into sleep mode if you set it down without hitting the power button, but you cannot control how long it waits before turning off wifi.

philrob wrote:

Any time the display is OFF the iPhone is in sleep mode. After 15 minutes of the display being off, if the iPhone is not being charged/on AC power, it turns off wifi.

You can control how long it waits to put itself into sleep mode if you set it down without hitting the power button, but you cannot control how long it waits before turning off wifi.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 5 (230 Views)