Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 2, 2010
1:53:33 PM
When WiFi is enabled How do you tell if you make a call if you are on EDGE or 3G ?

I am using a I phone 3GS when wifi is off the icon in the upper left corner tells me if I am connected to 2G EDGE or 3G , when I enable wifi the icon displays wifi that’s ok but when I make a call or receive a call I have no way of telling how I am connected 3G or EDGE because it shows WiFi is there a app that is available to download that will tell me what cellular network I am connected too when my WiFi is enabled ? So far the only way I can tell is by turning off wifi while in a call.

I am using a I phone 3GS when wifi is off the icon in the upper left corner tells me if I am connected to 2G EDGE or 3G , when I enable wifi the icon displays wifi that’s ok but when I make a call or receive a call I have no way of telling how I am connected 3G or EDGE because it shows WiFi is there a app that is available to download that will tell me what cellular network I am connected too when my WiFi is enabled ? So far the only way I can tell is by turning off wifi while in a call.

When WiFi is enabled How do you tell if you make a call if you are on EDGE or 3G ?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 7:47:51 PM
(0)
Professor

Why does it matter? 

If you are connected to WiFI and need to access data, it is done via WiFi.

I am not aware of any benefit to being on 3G vs EDGE as far as voice is concerned.

Why does it matter? 

I am not aware of any benefit to being on 3G vs EDGE as far as voice is concerned.

Re: When WiFi is enabled How do you tell if you make a call if you are on EDGE or 3G ?

2 of 7 (1,447 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 8:51:40 PM
(0)
Scholar

satchev wrote:

Why does it matter? 

That's what I was wondering. What difference is there. 

satchev wrote:

Why does it matter? 

That's what I was wondering. What difference is there. 

Re: When WiFi is enabled How do you tell if you make a call if you are on EDGE or 3G ?

3 of 7 (1,431 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 9:26:55 PM
(0)
Guru

For voice there is not much of a difference.  Unless you turn 3g off, the voice will still use 3g network.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.

For voice there is not much of a difference.  Unless you turn 3g off, the voice will still use 3g network.

Sent from my iPhone 4

4 of 7 (1,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 6:40:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

Edge and 3g is for data.

The voice isn't any better or worse with either because edge and 3g are data services. It uses the GSM network for voice which is part of Edge and 3g.

Edge and 3g is for data.

The voice isn't any better or worse with either because edge and 3g are data services. It uses the GSM network for voice which is part of Edge and 3g.

5 of 7 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 11:21:20 AM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by jhorak101 on Oct 3, 2010 at 11:23:13 AM

Apple replaced my iphone because I complained about my iphone not maintaining a 3G connection during a call or when I receive a call, calls were not being dropped but 3G is dropping down to EDGE sometimes within 5 minutes of a phone call on average after about 28 minutes.  With WiFi on the 3G or E icon is replaced with the wifi icon and thus no way visibly to tell when my Iphone is dropping down to EDGE while in a call, The way I can tell when my phone drops to edge is by hearing a electronic feedback through my external computer speakers , 3G does not create the feedback (It also does the same in my trucks external speakers) when the Iphone is on EDGE multitasking is unavailable I cant talk and text I cant talk and MMS. within about 28 minutes of a call 3G drops to EDGE, Phone shows five bars the call is not dropped but 3G is offline until I hang up then it cycles back from a little circle to E then back to 3G , when wifi is on then I cant tell if I am on Edge or 3G. I have a year left on my contract with my Iphone and AT&T if the two companies cant figure out my Iphone 3G or Iphones 4 are having 3g connectivity issues then it will be time for me to look elsewhere. here is another known fact I can make a phone call using my sons 3G Motorola or my wife’s AT&T quick fire and no matter how long I talk 3G connectivity remains on throughout the call. Although apple replaced the phone the 3G dropping offline issue remains replacing the phone did not correct the problem.

Apple replaced my iphone because I complained about my iphone not maintaining a 3G connection during a call or when I receive a call, calls were not being dropped but 3G is dropping down to EDGE sometimes within 5 minutes of a phone call on average after about 28 minutes.  With WiFi on the 3G or E icon is replaced with the wifi icon and thus no way visibly to tell when my Iphone is dropping down to EDGE while in a call, The way I can tell when my phone drops to edge is by hearing a electronic feedback through my external computer speakers , 3G does not create the feedback (It also does the same in my trucks external speakers) when the Iphone is on EDGE multitasking is unavailable I cant talk and text I cant talk and MMS. within about 28 minutes of a call 3G drops to EDGE, Phone shows five bars the call is not dropped but 3G is offline until I hang up then it cycles back from a little circle to E then back to 3G , when wifi is on then I cant tell if I am on Edge or 3G. I have a year left on my contract with my Iphone and AT&T if the two companies cant figure out my Iphone 3G or Iphones 4 are having 3g connectivity issues then it will be time for me to look elsewhere. here is another known fact I can make a phone call using my sons 3G Motorola or my wife’s AT&T quick fire and no matter how long I talk 3G connectivity remains on throughout the call. Although apple replaced the phone the 3G dropping offline issue remains replacing the phone did not correct the problem.

[ Edited ]
6 of 7 (1,311 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2010 12:49:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Have you tried an iPhone 4 in your area?  My uneducated guess is that the 4 will have improved reception over the 3Gs because of the 4's external antenna.  Most people that I know who have had both phones have reported improved reception on the 4 versus the 3Gs.

Have you tried an iPhone 4 in your area?  My uneducated guess is that the 4 will have improved reception over the 3Gs because of the 4's external antenna.  Most people that I know who have had both phones have reported improved reception on the 4 versus the 3Gs.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 7 (1,286 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments