Ask a question

Posted Jul 2, 2009
    6:07:31 AM
    When I receive an international call, what does my caller ID show

When someone from outside the US calls my US cell number, what would I see on my cell phone caller ID? I know on my home line, the numbers don't make sense and I can't just hit redial, I have to manually enter the codes to call outside the US.  I'm trying to figure out exactly how I ended up with all these charges on my cell phone that shouldn't have been there. I know that the calling codes were not manually dialed so I'm trying to figure out that if I just hit redial on a missed incoming call would it allow me to call internationally without having to manually enter all the calling codes?

This number that is showing up on my bill was NOT a normal number in the address book, therefore it was NOT previously entered as an internationally dialed number.

Karen 

When I receive an international call, what does my caller ID show

3 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (3)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 2, 2009 7:11:34 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by pcincome on Jul 2, 2009 at 7:13:50 AM

Ok, so I'm reading other messages here on this board and think I might be able to clarify better my situation and what I'm trying to understand.

My son is in the AF and currently in TX. His girlfriend recently went overseas to the Netherland's on a fun trip.  She picked up a different phone from her normal phone. This different phone was set up with a US number for us to dial that would transfer to her in the Netherlands making the call for the US caller a local call (not an international call)

Because my son is in the AF I can't contact him right this moment but I did have him check his phone book last night to see if this strange international number that I am being billed from is in his phone book and he said it is. I asked him to check the US number he was supposed to dial and he said that was NOT in his phone book.

Supposedly, when his girlfriend called him from her international phone, the number that showed up on my son's caller ID should have shown up as the local US number, but apparently it didn't? I can't tell what it came in at on the phone bill because it only shows it as an incoming call.

Now here's what I don't understand and am trying to figure out. Apparently, when she called him, they hung up, then he hit reply or redial and called her back assuming he was calling her back on the US number she was given but my cell phone bill shows he dialed a partial international number, it does NOT show he dialed the country codes and I know he does NOT know the country codes to dial that number so I'm trying to figure out, how did this happen, how was he able to hit reply/redial and get her on an international number WITHOUT dialing the country codes?

Or, is it that he did indeed dial this US number but somewhere, somehow something didn't switch properly when the call went international.  We have $550 in overages this month because of this, shouldn't have happened, need to figure out what went wrong and how to fix this.  Calls to the girlfriend were billed at $2.50 per minute, should have been local calls.  Her mother called her and everything went through fine, billed fine, no international charges (she's on sprint)

Any ideas

Karen 

Message Edited by pcincome on 07-02-2009 07:13:50 AM

Re: When I receive an international call, what does my caller ID show

[ Edited ]
    2 of 4 (5,645 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 2, 2009 9:05:16 AM
    (0)
    Guru

CallerID coming from Europe is sometimes scrambled, but more likely than not it would show something like +44793551212.  My mythical number would be a UK number from the Isle of Jersey where many roaming SIMs are based.  I have a SIM card similar to your son's girl friend from a company called eKit.  They give me a Massachussets number and a UK number.  You can reach me on either number. 

Incoming calls on the US number cost me $0.19 a minute.  Incoming calls on the UK number are free to me, but you pay an interntional rate.  The phone actually has a US and European account which are tied together.  When I use the phone in the US or Canada, my service would go through a cellular provider based in Pennsylvania and you'd get my American caller-id.  When I go to Europe, the service is provide by a British provider and you'd get my UK caller-id.  The US and UK providers work very closely and automatically send a signal to the other carrier when the phone is logged on to the North American or European network and the call is automatically routed to the appropriate account.  

My guess is that your son accidentally called the European number keyed to the phone.  Here is the information about the phone from one reseller. 

http://www.telestial.com/view_product.php?PRODUCT_ID=MSIM-PPP2

This is not the only company that offers a product like this so there may be some differences.  

3 of 4 (5,638 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 2, 2009 9:10:56 AM
    (0)
    Master

pcincome wrote:

Now here's what I don't understand and am trying to figure out. Apparently, when she called him, they hung up, then he hit reply or redial and called her back assuming he was calling her back on the US number she was given but my cell phone bill shows he dialed a partial international number, it does NOT show he dialed the country codes and I know he does NOT know the country codes to dial that number so I'm trying to figure out, how did this happen, how was he able to hit reply/redial and get her on an international number WITHOUT dialing the country codes?

Incoming calls from some countries will deliver a properly formatted phone number to the handset with the + symbol in front of the number which works as an international access code.  It is quite possible that the call was delivered to the handset in the right format and by pressing re-dial the call went out as an international call on the at&t network.  This is not always true on landlines.  Also at&t bills may not show the complete number dialed.  You can try and call customer care and see if you can sign up for the international dialing discount package of $3.99 per month and plead with them to re-do the bill at the lower rate.  You can always drop the discount plan later.  You can also place an international call block on the line to prevent this in the future.  When you call customer care explain to them that the number was dialed by mistake and sometimes they will at least reduce the bill.  It can't hurt to ask.

4 of 4 (5,632 Views)