Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 20, 2011
5:22:15 PM
View profile
What should I do about this iPhone situation?
Edited by azzaprob on Sep 20, 2011 at 5:23:24 PM

Ok so about a week ago i got an iPhone 4 with at&t. I paid retail for it ($199.99). now i hear that the iPhone 5 is coming out soon.. like within a month. at&t has a 30 day return policy I believe for returning your phone for any reason, should I return it before the 30 days are up so I can get the 5 instead? because im pretty sure iphone 4 will drop alot in price when the 5 comes out

by the way, i am on a contract for a family plan so i dont think im binded to the iphone 4. family members on the same plan have completely different phones and I was told by at&t i can switch phones for a $18 fee

Ok so about a week ago i got an iPhone 4 with at&t. I paid retail for it ($199.99). now i hear that the iPhone 5 is coming out soon.. like within a month. at&t has a 30 day return policy I believe for returning your phone for any reason, should I return it before the 30 days are up so I can get the 5 instead? because im pretty sure iphone 4 will drop alot in price when the 5 comes out

by the way, i am on a contract for a family plan so i dont think im binded to the iphone 4. family members on the same plan have completely different phones and I was told by at&t i can switch phones for a $18 fee

What should I do about this iPhone situation?

[ Edited ]
13 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(13)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 6:08:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I may miss some things with this answer.  It sounds like you started a new 2-year contract with the purchase of that iPhone 4.  The contract price is $199 and the no-commitment price is $599 for the 16GB model.  You are free to return the phone within 30 days; just make sure that your upgrade eligibility is reset.

There is no definitive release date for the next iPhone.  There are rumors floating around that range from next week Smiley Surprised to Thanksgiving, but nothing is confirmed.

I may miss some things with this answer.  It sounds like you started a new 2-year contract with the purchase of that iPhone 4.  The contract price is $199 and the no-commitment price is $599 for the 16GB model.  You are free to return the phone within 30 days; just make sure that your upgrade eligibility is reset.

There is no definitive release date for the next iPhone.  There are rumors floating around that range from next week Smiley Surprised to Thanksgiving, but nothing is confirmed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What should I do about this iPhone situation?

2 of 14 (349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 6:10:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes its a 2 year contract and it was an iphone 4 16 gb for $199.99

3 of 14 (346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 20, 2011 6:20:45 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

OK.  I thought that when you said you paid retail, that you were referring to no-commitment pricing.

OK.  I thought that when you said you paid retail, that you were referring to no-commitment pricing.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 14 (341 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:08:50 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Eileen89 on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:10:22 AM

azzaprob wrote:

That is the subsidized pricing for the 16GB iPhone 4. Retail would be over $600. If it were me, and my other phone was still in good condition, I would return the iPhone 4 and reverse my upgrade date back, so I would be able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price..... If you got your iPhone 4 one weeks ago, that only leaves you with a 3 week return window in which to make an exchange. No one knows for sure whether the iPhone 5 will even be released within that time as there has been no official word from Apple yet about the release.

azzaprob wrote:

That is the subsidized pricing for the 16GB iPhone 4. Retail would be over $600. If it were me, and my other phone was still in good condition, I would return the iPhone 4 and reverse my upgrade date back, so I would be able to upgrade to the iPhone 5 at the subsidized price..... If you got your iPhone 4 one weeks ago, that only leaves you with a 3 week return window in which to make an exchange. No one knows for sure whether the iPhone 5 will even be released within that time as there has been no official word from Apple yet about the release.

[ Edited ]
5 of 14 (289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:15:35 AM
(0)
Master

Irish Rose wrote:

azzaprob wrote:

I totally agree here!  If you have a working phone and you want the new model whether it is an iPhone 4s or iPhone 5, WAIT.  As for an iPhone 5, that is uncertain at this time.  If you follow the rumors, parts are turning up for a 4s but other than claimed to be cases, the iPhone 5 is not really showing up as much?

My estimation is that we will see a updated iPhone 4.  This new iPhone 5 may be later and my have LTE?  Rumors are that Apple has its eyes on a new LTE chip from Qualcom that uses less power and that is due out in the first half of 2012.  Given the emphasis Apple puts on battery life, that is feeding my belief here.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

Irish Rose wrote:

azzaprob wrote:

I totally agree here!  If you have a working phone and you want the new model whether it is an iPhone 4s or iPhone 5, WAIT.  As for an iPhone 5, that is uncertain at this time.  If you follow the rumors, parts are turning up for a 4s but other than claimed to be cases, the iPhone 5 is not really showing up as much?

My estimation is that we will see a updated iPhone 4.  This new iPhone 5 may be later and my have LTE?  Rumors are that Apple has its eyes on a new LTE chip from Qualcom that uses less power and that is due out in the first half of 2012.  Given the emphasis Apple puts on battery life, that is feeding my belief here.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

6 of 14 (286 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:34:54 AM
(0)
Master

youngjm wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

azzaprob wrote:

Now see, I have heard other rumors as well surrounding the iPhone 5. Some say that is will be a world phone and not include LTE. There are some that are saying we won't see a LTE capable iPhone until iPhone 6. That is why I can not wait until Apple finally comes out with the announcement and puts some clarification to these rumors.

youngjm wrote:

Irish Rose wrote:

azzaprob wrote:

Now see, I have heard other rumors as well surrounding the iPhone 5. Some say that is will be a world phone and not include LTE. There are some that are saying we won't see a LTE capable iPhone until iPhone 6. That is why I can not wait until Apple finally comes out with the announcement and puts some clarification to these rumors.

7 of 14 (282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:45:57 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by youngjm on Sep 21, 2011 at 7:47:35 AM

Irish Rose - Is this your source: MacBreak Weekly?

I will admit that today there is much more reference to an iPhone 5 but I am seeing some mixed discussion about delays?

Hopefully Oct 4/5 is the timeframe for an announcement......

I will admit that today there is much more reference to an iPhone 5 but I am seeing some mixed discussion about delays?

Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

[ Edited ]
8 of 14 (279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 7:55:01 AM
(0)
Expert

youngjm wrote:

Have seen reports that the 5 will be a "lite" iphone - aka less expensive without some of the bells and whistles, until Apple makes a statement it is all rumor.

To the OP - would not bet the farm on a phone being released in the time fram you have, even if it was the avaibility will be tight and there may just ot any any for you to get. If you exceed the 30 day - even by 1 day you are locked into it for 2 years. If you are that adament about getting a Iphone 5, then woud suggest buyers remorse (30 day return) and go back to your old phone until the 5 is officially announced and has stock available.

youngjm wrote:

Have seen reports that the 5 will be a "lite" iphone - aka less expensive without some of the bells and whistles, until Apple makes a statement it is all rumor.

To the OP - would not bet the farm on a phone being released in the time fram you have, even if it was the avaibility will be tight and there may just ot any any for you to get. If you exceed the 30 day - even by 1 day you are locked into it for 2 years. If you are that adament about getting a Iphone 5, then woud suggest buyers remorse (30 day return) and go back to your old phone until the 5 is officially announced and has stock available.

9 of 14 (275 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 8:21:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

If I were to switch phones before the 30 day period, say, to my old phone or another, would I be instantly binded to that for 2 years, or have another 30 day period to change it again, since its a completely different phone? I'm thinking if I did that, it would give me an extra 30 days, and if the iPhone 5 didn't come out even after that i'd just stick with a 4

The main reason being I was before this, I had a really bad phone that was on an outdated plan over 5 years ago. Everything was bad about it so I upgraded. I really wanted a good phone, and I liked the iPhones, however I knew the iPhone 5 was due for release this year, or an upgraded version, whatever. I spoke with the at&t customer care person and she said i'd be able to purchase the iPhone 5 from them when it comes out and use it on my plan.. whether or not she meant before my 30 day period or after i'm not really sure, i'm starting to assume now if I go over that 30 day window I WON'T be able to get it even if I buy it from them. 

If I were to switch phones before the 30 day period, say, to my old phone or another, would I be instantly binded to that for 2 years, or have another 30 day period to change it again, since its a completely different phone? I'm thinking if I did that, it would give me an extra 30 days, and if the iPhone 5 didn't come out even after that i'd just stick with a 4

The main reason being I was before this, I had a really bad phone that was on an outdated plan over 5 years ago. Everything was bad about it so I upgraded. I really wanted a good phone, and I liked the iPhones, however I knew the iPhone 5 was due for release this year, or an upgraded version, whatever. I spoke with the at&t customer care person and she said i'd be able to purchase the iPhone 5 from them when it comes out and use it on my plan.. whether or not she meant before my 30 day period or after i'm not really sure, i'm starting to assume now if I go over that 30 day window I WON'T be able to get it even if I buy it from them. 

10 of 14 (270 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 8:54:24 AM
(0)
Master

azzaprob wrote:

No, when you return your new phone, you are undoing your purchase and your eligibility date gets put back.  If you are thinking about this, do it now as the reseting of the eligiblity date can take a few days and things will get busy before the launch.  As long as you are not buying a phone at a discount, you do not need to be under a contract.

azzaprob wrote:

No, when you return your new phone, you are undoing your purchase and your eligibility date gets put back.  If you are thinking about this, do it now as the reseting of the eligiblity date can take a few days and things will get busy before the launch.  As long as you are not buying a phone at a discount, you do not need to be under a contract.

11 of 14 (162 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 10:05:11 AM
(0)
Master

azzaprob wrote:

First, you can not exchange it once your 30 days are up. Also, you are allowed one exchange during your 30 day period. As was mentioned, since no one really knows if the new iPhone is going to come out within the remainder of the 3 weeks that you have left. The best thing to do is return the iPhone 4 and go back to your old phone temporarily. Then when the iPhone 5 comes out you will be able to upgrade to that and your 30 day trial will start again.

azzaprob wrote:

First, you can not exchange it once your 30 days are up. Also, you are allowed one exchange during your 30 day period. As was mentioned, since no one really knows if the new iPhone is going to come out within the remainder of the 3 weeks that you have left. The best thing to do is return the iPhone 4 and go back to your old phone temporarily. Then when the iPhone 5 comes out you will be able to upgrade to that and your 30 day trial will start again.

12 of 14 (151 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 10:09:59 AM
(0)
Master

youngjm wrote:

No, I read rumors from 9 to 5 Mac, as well as MacRumors. There are so many speculations about the iPhone 5 going around. The true source is "Apple", but so far they ain't talking, therefore rumors like the ones you and I have been reading will continue.....

youngjm wrote:

No, I read rumors from 9 to 5 Mac, as well as MacRumors. There are so many speculations about the iPhone 5 going around. The true source is "Apple", but so far they ain't talking, therefore rumors like the ones you and I have been reading will continue.....

13 of 14 (149 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2011 3:00:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

azzaprob wrote:
I spoke with the at&t customer care person and she said i'd be able to purchase the iPhone 5 from them when it comes out and use it on my plan.. whether or not she meant before my 30 day period or after i'm not really sure, i'm starting to assume now if I go over that 30 day window I WON'T be able to get it even if I buy it from them. 

What the rep said was true, however you have to only take the rep at what she said.  You can buy an iPhone 5 when it comes out and use it on your line.  However, it would be at full retail price at around $600, or maybe early upgrade at around $400.

azzaprob wrote:
I spoke with the at&t customer care person and she said i'd be able to purchase the iPhone 5 from them when it comes out and use it on my plan.. whether or not she meant before my 30 day period or after i'm not really sure, i'm starting to assume now if I go over that 30 day window I WON'T be able to get it even if I buy it from them. 

What the rep said was true, however you have to only take the rep at what she said.  You can buy an iPhone 5 when it comes out and use it on your line.  However, it would be at full retail price at around $600, or maybe early upgrade at around $400.

14 of 14 (130 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments