Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 13, 2011
8:22:55 PM
View profile
What's up with my IP address?
I've been having the worst time trying to do business. Everytime I'm accessing my e-mail accounts, attempt to write a reply, and send the e-mail off my provider is telling me my IP address has changed. I have to log back into the server and then log back into my e-mail. Magically my entire e-mail has disappeared and I have to start all over. Why on earth is my IP address changing 8 times in 30 minutes when I've never stopped the connection?
I've been having the worst time trying to do business. Everytime I'm accessing my e-mail accounts, attempt to write a reply, and send the e-mail off my provider is telling me my IP address has changed. I have to log back into the server and then log back into my e-mail. Magically my entire e-mail has disappeared and I have to start all over. Why on earth is my IP address changing 8 times in 30 minutes when I've never stopped the connection?

What's up with my IP address?

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 2:30:11 AM
(0)
Professor
wht sort of devide are you using? can you delete the account and reinstall? I am assuming the account is still there (but your email itself is what dissapeared, right)

If you cant reinstall the account, try a new Gmail or yahoo account and test if it works, if so, then somethings wroing with just the account you are trying to use. Call or logon to that specific provider site and see if anythings logged about their services having issues.
wht sort of devide are you using? can you delete the account and reinstall? I am assuming the account is still there (but your email itself is what dissapeared, right)

If you cant reinstall the account, try a new Gmail or yahoo account and test if it works, if so, then somethings wroing with just the account you are trying to use. Call or logon to that specific provider site and see if anythings logged about their services having issues.
Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

Re: What's up with my IP address?

2 of 6 (478 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 4:18:15 AM
(0)
Expert

thetinwizard wrote:

Depending on what type of connection you have the modem at your location can be bouncing.  Warning - this is going to get technical - Since you are asking on ATT, it will either be their dsl service or Uverse. If the modem / access point is bouncing and you are not paying for a static address it is distinctly possible that bounce is requesting a new IP address via DHCP to the CO. Most of the DSL modems or Uverse modems should have a access web page that will give you statistics on the device, there should be a panel that will tell you  how long ago the last restart occurred and how old the lease on the routable IP is.

A second possiblity, but still tied to the modem bouncing is if you are using a router connected to the modem, this can be bouncing also and requesting a new routable link from the modem / access point.

Best bet at ths point is to call technical support for your provider - the IP in question is the internet routable one and is controlled by your provider

The thing I find confusing - ip's changing should not really cause this type of issue, 95 percent of the non-business world use the service providers DHCP servers to get a routable IP and to not pay the additional costs for a static block, in fact a ot of small business do this aslo. The email providers should be able to adapt to this without a problem.

thetinwizard wrote:

Depending on what type of connection you have the modem at your location can be bouncing.  Warning - this is going to get technical - Since you are asking on ATT, it will either be their dsl service or Uverse. If the modem / access point is bouncing and you are not paying for a static address it is distinctly possible that bounce is requesting a new IP address via DHCP to the CO. Most of the DSL modems or Uverse modems should have a access web page that will give you statistics on the device, there should be a panel that will tell you  how long ago the last restart occurred and how old the lease on the routable IP is.

A second possiblity, but still tied to the modem bouncing is if you are using a router connected to the modem, this can be bouncing also and requesting a new routable link from the modem / access point.

Best bet at ths point is to call technical support for your provider - the IP in question is the internet routable one and is controlled by your provider

The thing I find confusing - ip's changing should not really cause this type of issue, 95 percent of the non-business world use the service providers DHCP servers to get a routable IP and to not pay the additional costs for a static block, in fact a ot of small business do this aslo. The email providers should be able to adapt to this without a problem.

3 of 6 (474 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2011 4:46:48 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Sep 14, 2011 at 4:48:29 AM

Simply try uninstalling and then reinstalling the account first. That is what the providers will ask you if youve tried. Then just as I said, call or logon to your provider account and see if any changes recently happened. Then update accordingly

Smiley Happy

Simply try uninstalling and then reinstalling the account first. That is what the providers will ask you if youve tried. Then just as I said, call or logon to your provider account and see if any changes recently happened. Then update accordingly

Smiley Happy

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

[ Edited ]
4 of 6 (470 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 11:44:50 AM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Hey thetinwizard, 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. It's not clear from your post if you're using U-Verse or DSL and I want to get this post in the right place so you get some help. 

Thanks,

~jam 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Hey thetinwizard, 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. It's not clear from your post if you're using U-Verse or DSL and I want to get this post in the right place so you get some help. 

Thanks,

~jam 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

5 of 6 (451 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 9:03:25 PM
(0)
Contributor
I'm using your wireless service with a USB modem.
I'm using your wireless service with a USB modem.

6 of 6 (443 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments