What's the different between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 3G software update?

Highlighted
Scholar

What's the different between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 3G software update?

If it's a huge difference, I'll pay the extra moola to upgrade!
Message 1 of 8 (2,041 Views)
Mentor

Re: What's the different between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 3G software update?

Seems like a big difference.  Turn by turn gps, mms, landscape keyboard, copy and paste, note syncing with iTunes, Spotlight Search....etc.  Lots to love.
Message 2 of 8 (2,003 Views)
Professor

Re: What's the different between the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 3G software update?

fourbeer wrote:
Seems like a big difference.  Turn by turn gps, mms, landscape keyboard, copy and paste, note syncing with iTunes, Spotlight Search....etc.  Lots to love.

All those items will be available on the iPhone 3G with the FREE 3.0 upgrade Smiley Wink Video, faster processor, better battery life,compass, and that "Nike+ thing" are the iPhone3GS improvements...
Message 3 of 8 (1,991 Views)
Scholar

Actually one major difference is that only the 3GS gets video recording and the ability to send video in MMS messages.
Message 4 of 8 (1,987 Views)
Scholar

I have heard that the 3G will have the ability to do video recording but not as good of quality as the 3Gs, is this correct?
Message 5 of 8 (1,981 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

shays992000 wrote:
I have heard that the 3G will have the ability to do video recording but not as good of quality as the 3Gs, is this correct?

That is not correct.  Only the 3GS will be able to do video recording.

All you need to know is right here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

See the icons under the main image "New in iPhone 3G S"

Here's a break down:

1) Faster processor, faster memory (and rumored to have double the RAM.)  Apple says "Load web pages, launch apps and more up to 2X faster.)  This means web pages will render about twice as fast.

2) 3.0 Megapixel camera with autofocus camera, including auto white balance.  In general a MUCH better camera (regardless of the fact that it's only 3MP) with video recording at 640x480 30fps.  Also ability to upload video to Youtube, send via email, MMS, and I believe share on Mobile ME (not positive on that one.)

3) Voice control.  It has voice recognition to place calls from your contacts or play music from the iPod.  It also speak back confirmations or questions if there are multiple choices from your command.

4) Digital compass.  May enhance turn by turn directions with Tom Tom software.  But out of the box it will orient Google Maps to North based on the compass in the phone.

5) Longer battery life.  It has a higher capacity, slightly smaller, more efficient battery.  Anyone with an iPhone 3G knows the battery life could certainly use help.

6) Oleophobic coating on the screen, which repels oil.  Makes it easier to clean hand and face oil off.  However if you use a screen protector this is a moot point.

7) Faster 3G radio.  It supports HSDPA 7.2.  I'm not sure what iPhone 3G has but it's not as fast, I htink it's 3.6.  However, this isn't going to make much difference as most places AT&T serves isn't nearly that fast. They are upgrading parts of the network.

Everything else is part of the (free) 3.0 upgrade and applies to both models (Audio recording, search, MMS, copy/paste, faster javascript, etc.)

I'm upgrading from 3G to 3GS mainly for the better autofocus camera and video recording.  Also I really want the faster processor because I do a lot of web surfing.  I hop this speeds it up quite a bit.

So the hardware differences are mostly subtle to most people.  And certainly not everyone cares about them and would prefer to save money and get (or just stick with) the 3G.

I hope this helps.

Message Edited by thively on 06-10-2009 11:22:27 PM
Message 6 of 8 (1,966 Views)
Professor

thively wrote:

shays992000 wrote:

That is not correct.  Only the 3GS will be able to do video recording.

All you need to know is right here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

See the icons under the main image "New in iPhone 3G S"

Here's a break down:

1) Faster processor, faster memory (and rumored to have double the RAM.)  Apple says "Load web pages, launch apps and more up to 2X faster.)  This means web pages will render about twice as fast.

2) 3.0 Megapixel camera with autofocus camera, including auto white balance.  In general a MUCH better camera (regardless of the fact that it's only 3MP) with video recording at 640x480 30fps.  Also ability to upload video to Youtube, send via email, MMS, and I believe share on Mobile ME (not positive on that one.)

3) Voice control.  It has voice recognition to place calls from your contacts or play music from the iPod.  It also speak back confirmations or questions if there are multiple choices from your command.

4) Digital compass.  May enhance turn by turn directions with Tom Tom software.  But out of the box it will orient Google Maps to North based on the compass in the phone.

5) Longer battery life.  It has a higher capacity, slightly smaller, more efficient battery.  Anyone with an iPhone 3G knows the battery life could certainly use help.

6) Oleophobic coating on the screen, which repels oil.  Makes it easier to clean hand and face oil off.  However if you use a screen protector this is a moot point.

7) Faster 3G radio.  It supports HSDPA 7.2.  I'm not sure what iPhone 3G has but it's not as fast, I htink it's 3.6.  However, this isn't going to make much difference as most places AT&T serves isn't nearly that fast. They are upgrading parts of the network.

Everything else is part of the (free) 3.0 upgrade and applies to both models (Audio recording, search, MMS, copy/paste, faster javascript, etc.)

I'm upgrading from 3G to 3GS mainly for the better autofocus camera and video recording.  Also I really want the faster processor because I do a lot of web surfing.  I hop this speeds it up quite a bit.

So the hardware differences are mostly subtle to most people.  And certainly not everyone cares about them and would prefer to save money and get (or just stick with) the 3G.

I hope this helps.

Message Edited by thively on 06-10-2009 11:22:27 PM

Thively you are incorrect.  YOU can do video with a 3g.  You need to get a app for it, but it is lower quality.  The API's are there in the 3.0 SDK to do so.  It really sucks though >.< 

Message 7 of 8 (1,929 Views)
Guru

[ Edited ]

Doppler808 wrote:
Thively you are incorrect.  YOU can do video with a 3g.  You need to get a app for it, but it is lower quality.  The API's are there in the 3.0 SDK to do so.  It really sucks though >.< 

So low quality video is supported via SDK.  But if someone wants to shoot video, out of the box, it is not supported on the iPhone 3G, which is important to communicate to people.  A 3rd party app would be required, and we're not garunteed to see a video recording app approved by Apple.  But I certainly hope it does for everyone's sake.

On that note, I just saw this today which confirms no video on iPhone 3G (with native apps...)  It's not clear to me if this message is from the SDK when someone attempts to capture video on iPhone 3G.  So possibly the SDK doesn't support it as you thought (hard to know either way.)

http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2009/06/11/iphone-3g-developers-splitting-platform/

Message Edited by thively on 06-11-2009 11:35:19 AM
Message 8 of 8 (1,853 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.