What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

[ Edited ]

Most complaints seem user error*, and only a very few are actually valid**.

 

I've had many dealings with AT&T over the past two weeks, and only once have I had bad experience (got hung up), to which I'll assume it was an accident.

 

*:

 

  • Bad service in usage area- You have 30 days to try it where you will live/work, and you can go back to your old service if you don't like it.
  • My phone is... (software)- Phone is built by a different company, and AT&T is only responsible for the network. That being said, it's very likely that AT&T's tech support won't know how to fix it.
  • My phone broke (hardware)- Warranty will replace it, unless it was at user fault (dropped it, etc.).
  • Customer support is rude- Most comments say this, but never go to as detailing how they were. If CS couldn't have solved your problem, or had it go your way (or had to transfer you to a different department), that's not being rude.
**:
  • AT&T doesn't offer satisfactory corporate contacts for the deaf.
  • Lack of online support for prepaid customers, compared to its counterpart.
Now, I don't work for AT&T, but after what I experienced... I'm baffled why AT&T has a bad rep.

 

Message 1 of 15 (466 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

[ Edited ]

They get a bad rap because people want what they want. If Customer Service cannot provide what they demand, then customer service is bad.

EVERY customer service in every industry gets a bad rap sooner or later because someone does not get what they want and since the internet is here and there are places to complain, people will complain.

.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 15 (448 Views)
Mentor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

Bad customer service is when you call in with a question about changing your service if you will loose your unlimited data package and get told no, then when you make the changes you just asked about and you loose unlimited data.  Nothing will be done about the misinformation you were given and you are told sorry, you were given bad info.  If you can't trust what you are told from at&t employees, then something is very wrong.  If you call in with a billing problem, and the person says it's taken care of, yet the next bill shows the exact same error, again, bad CS.  It's like the employees aren't trained or just don't really care.  Either way, being rude to customers is never acceptable.  I don't care if they are yelling or whatever, if you are a CS representative, you should be able to maintain your composure and deal with them.  I know I did it for several years (not with at&t), I never once lost my temper or was rude to a customer.  I had proper training on how to calm them down so I could help them.  It's not hard, and I usually got an apology at the end of the call. 

 

Message 3 of 15 (428 Views)
Professor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

Policy changes and all CS divisions not being on the same page are two causes of problems with AT&T's CS.  My personal experience includes upgrading from a Nokia smartphone to an iPhone, and being told that I was not eligible to keep unlimited data.  I had to go through two levels of customer service, but this error was corrected and unlimited data was restored.  The other situation that I had was attempting to block text messages on my number.  I could not do this online, and even found wording in the FAQ that said that this all text messages could not be blocked on a line.  I went into a store and it was no problem for them to block text messages.

 

These are just two examples that I have had with the current iteration of the company, AT&T Mobility.  I had other concerns with prior iterations.  Throughout all of these, no CS rep has been rude to me.  But, they have been misinformed and cost me time and effort to get things resolved.

Message 4 of 15 (415 Views)
Professor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?


Printerscape wrote:

Most complaints seem user error*, and only a very few are actually valid**.

 

I've had many dealings with AT&T over the past two weeks, and only once have I had bad experience (got hung up), to which I'll assume it was an accident.

 

*:

 

  • Bad service in usage area- You have 30 days to try it where you will live/work, and you can go back to your old service if you don't like it.
  • My phone is... (software)- Phone is built by a different company, and AT&T is only responsible for the network. That being said, it's very likely that AT&T's tech support won't know how to fix it.
  • My phone broke (hardware)- Warranty will replace it, unless it was at user fault (dropped it, etc.).
  • Customer support is rude- Most comments say this, but never go to as detailing how they were. If CS couldn't have solved your problem, or had it go your way (or had to transfer you to a different department), that's not being rude.
**:
  • AT&T doesn't offer satisfactory corporate contacts for the deaf.
  • Lack of online support for prepaid customers, compared to its counterpart.
Now, I don't work for AT&T, but after what I experienced... I'm baffled why AT&T has a bad rep.

 


Bad customer service can be for different reasons. Not everyone has bad network service in their area the first thirty days. I had good network service in my area when it was only Edge. When they came in and did the 3g upgrades in my area, it degraded my service. Network changes like that and adding and removing towers can effect service mid contract. However, this has nothing to do with the customer service one gets from the reps. I will strongly disagree with you on the phone support. AT&T installs it's own branded versions of roms on phones with features and software added and disabled. Basically, they are taking ownership of the phone and should provide some level of support. I don't get reps that are rude with me, but have dealt with many reps that are just not very knowledgeable. Many times you can tell they are following steps out of a book or off of a computer with poor comprehension. Training must be poor as many reps seem to lack much up to date info. Being patient and working with them, many times having explaining to them what they need to do, will usually net me better results. Usually, they will go off the line to check with a supervisor or more knowledgeable coworker. If all else fails, hang up and call back, hoping you will get a better rep. In store, you can always request the store manager if needed. I think much of the "lying" that reps do is just them being clueless. Although, there are some in store reps that will misinform you just to try and make a sell.

Message 5 of 15 (407 Views)
G6x
Mentor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

I have yet to have experienced a rude rep on the cell side of calling AT&T. The home phone dept is differnet, had a few rude ones and hung up on a few times. Took forever to get my acct fixed just right as I recieve one bill for home phone and cell, took weeks before their system even would recognize me when calling in. Last time I called the cell rep, they were very nice, and fixed my name on the bill (they mispelled my last name and it was showing up like that on the outgoing caller ID on both phones) Overall I am very satisfied with AT&T.

Message 6 of 15 (395 Views)
Teacher

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

I would assume that a seniorwarrior might have a wealth of common knowledge about ATT. Theres way too many similar incidents that happen with CS,for it to be coincidence. If CS isnt complicite in ATTs shenanigans,then their training etc is horrible. Try,"your phone will work with LTE",or,"You cant keep your unlimited plan",or,"yes,u have 4G in your area". How many can you think of?

People dont just come here to complain just because its here!?! They complain here to see how many other people have encountered the same type of incompetence.

Trust me. Even 1st and 2nd tier tech support arent that knowledgable. Always get names and go up the chain.

Message 7 of 15 (379 Views)
Master

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

I would say probably because people can't get what they want, when they want it, and they want it for no cost at all to themself. That's mainly what I see going on here.

 

I can understand and relate to some customers' experiences sometimes, though.

 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 8 of 15 (361 Views)
Professor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?


Wild Banchi wrote:

I would say probably because people can't get what they want, when they want it, and they want it for no cost at all to themself. That's mainly what I see going on here.

 

I can understand and relate to some customers' experiences sometimes, though.

 


Getting advertised speeds, timely updates and upgrades, the ability to remove the junk that AT&T places on "your" phone, the ability to install whatever a grown person chooses to install on his phone.......Yup, I see a lot of those, but these are things that a person should want. I would love to have have everything for free, but it doesn't work that way. So every month, I shell out around $250 for myself and my family. Yes it is a choice, but in doing so, I expect a certain level of service in return.

Message 9 of 15 (350 Views)
Master

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?


sitnsidewayz wrote:

Wild Banchi wrote:

I would say probably because people can't get what they want, when they want it, and they want it for no cost at all to themself. That's mainly what I see going on here.

 

I can understand and relate to some customers' experiences sometimes, though.

 


Getting advertised speeds, timely updates and upgrades, the ability to remove the junk that AT&T places on "your" phone, the ability to install whatever a grown person chooses to install on his phone.......Yup, I see a lot of those, but these are things that a person should want. I would love to have have everything for free, but it doesn't work that way. So every month, I shell out around $250 for myself and my family. Yes it is a choice, but in doing so, I expect a certain level of service in return.


Right. I would like to remove some of the pre-installed AT&T bloatware on my phone, but I cannot. And I expect AT&T's service to have me covered mostly everywhere I may travel. But I know it's not always going to be that way, unfortunately. The customer should be "in control" with their phone - so long as it does not interfere with their service/the company itself in some way.

 

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 10 of 15 (349 Views)
Teacher

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

i do apologize for anyone who feels as though their needs have not been met or that they were treated with any disrespect. i am an att customer care rep and i do my absolute best to ensure that all of my customers needs are met, i cannot speak for other agents but it makes the day glum when i am unable to resolve a concern,

 

 

 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 11 of 15 (401 Views)
Professor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?


missanna wrote:

i do apologize for anyone who feels as though their needs have not been met or that they were treated with any disrespect. i am an att customer care rep and i do my absolute best to ensure that all of my customers needs are met, i cannot speak for other agents but it makes the day glum when i am unable to resolve a concern,

 

 

 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.


 

Miss Anna, your comment is so nice. Sorry you have to defend yourself because of a few CSR that clearly is causing a major problem with the way customers feel about att.  Its so odd that ATT will not spend time reviewing the problem and removing the ones that is not qualified for the job .

 

Instead, ive read the new terms and agreement that att has enforced a policy that if a customer is now harrassing a CSR, the customer can be flagged for discinued service at att's discretion.

 

I sure hope many more CSR's like yourself reach out to the few that need that extra push and guidance , train them to be more courteous , if they dont know the answer, teach them to say they dont instead of saying things that cant be backed up later . 

 

we need more CSRS like MissAnna

to make us smile !

Message 12 of 15 (395 Views)
Scholar

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

I already started a thread about how an AT&T customer service rep's mistake caused me to lock my phone to AT&T's network:  http://forums.att.com/t5/General-Care-and-Support/Bad-support-info-causes-harm/td-p/2748517.

 

Let me add things like service getting worse with more dropped calls in more places.  I've been a customer since 1999 and in the past year I've had more dropped calls and poor quality calls than in all the previous years combined.  And I think AT&T "plays" with the definition of dropped calls to manipulate their stats.  So let me clarify. 

 

I've heard that AT&T only counts as "dropped" calls where the connection actually goes away.  Seems fair, right?  But apparently they keep the session "connected" even when neither party can continue to talk.  Essentially the line goes silent.  So what happens in this case, most customers try the old "can you hear me now?" about a half dozen times, then they end the call.  Guess what, that's *NOT* a dropped call.  So, AT&T wants me to stand by, unable to hear even a single sound on the other end, and NOT hang up?  Lately, I've told my friends and family that unless it's urgent, to hold the line open until the call actually drops, just so AT&T eventually gets dinged for dropped calls.  Look, AT&T, if the line goes silent for more than 20 seconds, to me that's a dropped call.  Stop playing semantics and fix your problems.  If you're overselling your network, STOP.

 

OK, I guess I veered away from the customer service topic to AT&T service in general.  Sorry, but I had to have a mini-rant.

Message 13 of 15 (370 Views)
Mentor

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?


Wild Banchi wrote:

I would say probably because people can't get what they want, when they want it, and they want it for no cost at all to themself. That's mainly what I see going on here.

 

I can understand and relate to some customers' experiences sometimes, though.

 


I'll have to disagree.  First the reason that AT&T had a bad rap was due to the iPhone.  Now it's customers wanting a hand out. 

 

I didn't want a hand out when I encountered my issue with AT&T.  It had nothing to do with the iPhone or getting a phone for free.  It had to do with lying.  I was sold a phone and feature that didn't do anything.  I asked while at the store and sales person assured me that it provided the service I was looking for.  Which is not too much to ask for since AT&T claims to be ahead of it's competitors.  When I found out that what I was thought I had purchased was not so I called customer service.  The rep immediatly went on the defensive.  He was rude.  It's not my fault that they can't deliver what was promised.  Each and very rep I spoke to same story.  Rude and yes, I was hung up on.  I took the phone back to store and elected to get a line under a family member's plan with T-MOBILE.  T-Mobile was able to deliver a feature that AT&T could not. 

 

I didn't ask for any hand outs.  I can and have bein paying for my service.  I have not received anything for free.  I didn't even bother with the reps at the store.  I was willing to pay what ever I needed to.... to get out of the contract (within my 30 days).  It was worth every penny not to be tied down 2 more years. 

Message 14 of 15 (360 Views)
Highlighted
Master

Re: What's so bad about AT&T's CS?

 


missanna wrote:

i do apologize for anyone who feels as though their needs have not been met or that they were treated with any disrespect. i am an att customer care rep and i do my absolute best to ensure that all of my customers needs are met, i cannot speak for other agents but it makes the day glum when i am unable to resolve a concern,

 

 

 

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.


I can't speak for other customers, however, I  have been very pleased with the CS that I've received from AT&T during the times that I've had to call in about something. I feel as though the Reps really do care about resolving my issue and aren't just rehearsing a script from a play.

 

Message 15 of 15 (343 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.