Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted May 20, 2012
3:51:02 PM
View profile
What is the level of 911 Service in an AT&T wireless account?

Is it the same Enhanced 911 Service that is on AT&T landlines where the 911 Operator answering the call sees on his display the actual location from where the call was made?

Since a cell phone is mobile, is there any way that the 911 Operator would know the exact location of the caller (i.e. in an emergency, when the caller is unable to speak)?

Could you provide me with a link on the AT&T Wireless website where this is discussed?

Is it the same Enhanced 911 Service that is on AT&T landlines where the 911 Operator answering the call sees on his display the actual location from where the call was made?

Since a cell phone is mobile, is there any way that the 911 Operator would know the exact location of the caller (i.e. in an emergency, when the caller is unable to speak)?

Could you provide me with a link on the AT&T Wireless website where this is discussed?

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 20, 2012 6:50:51 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on May 20, 2012 at 7:07:01 PM

The GPS coordinates can potentially be used to locate the caller who has a GPS enabled phone. If you're calling from a landline phone, your home's (and apt no. or unit no. if in a multifamily bldg) address will be seen on the E911 operator's console.

With a mobile caller, the emergency response team will need to find out if the caller is on the street or inside a building and which building.

URL? Anyone?

The GPS coordinates can potentially be used to locate the caller who has a GPS enabled phone. If you're calling from a landline phone, your home's (and apt no. or unit no. if in a multifamily bldg) address will be seen on the E911 operator's console.

With a mobile caller, the emergency response team will need to find out if the caller is on the street or inside a building and which building.

URL? Anyone?

Re: What is the level of 911 Service in an AT&T wireless account?

[ Edited ]
2 of 3 (708 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 23, 2012 1:10:13 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on May 23, 2012 at 2:06:46 PM

Google wireless 911

Google wireless 911

Re: What is the level of 911 Service in an AT&T wireless account?

[ Edited ]
3 of 3 (647 Views)