What is the actual reason for NO UNLOCKs of iPhone?

Mentor

What is the actual reason for NO UNLOCKs of iPhone?

Before I get flamed, I just want to point out that I'm fully aware of AT&T's "Policy" regarding unlocking iphones.  I don't need a lecture about the policy; what I'm looking for is an actual explanation of "why" that makes sense and justifies AT&T's "need" to keep iPhones, for which a contract has been fulfilled, locked to their network.

I filed a complaint with the FCC regarding this issue and was contacting by an Executive Customer Service person.  He never actually told me why, he just continued to dance around the topic and find 10 different ways to state the policy to me.  I didn't appreciate that, I dont need him to re-state the policy -- I needed him to explain WHY.

Yes, I know I can spend 600+ dollars at Apple and buy a phone that isn't locked.  But why should I do that when I can buy a carrier-subsidized phone, fulfill the contract and then unlock it?   And further, it's documented that if you use the "unlocked" phone that Apple sells, it will become "locked" if you take it to Spring or Verizon; thereby defeating the purpose.  

I want an actual explanation, and don't feed me any lines aobut it being technically impossible; because all the jailbreaks that have been released in that past that functioned as carrier unlocks, have told me otherwise.  So, c'mon AT&T, let's hear it.

Message 1 of 22
Professor

Re: What is the actual reason for NO UNLOCKs of iPhone?

At&t really has little to gain by not unlocking iphones.  In the US, the GSM iphone will only work on at&t and a few small regional carriers.  I think T mobile uses different frequencies for high speed data.  I suspect Apple is blocking it. to sell more phones.

Message 16 of 22
Expert

FredW wrote:

At&t really has little to gain by not unlocking iphones.  In the US, the GSM iphone will only work on at&t and a few small regional carriers.  I think T mobile uses different frequencies for high speed data.  I suspect Apple is blocking it. to sell more phones.

considering they just announced smal regional carriers are now getting the iphone and they wil be selling them at a discount below att, verizon and sprint. nTelos will be the first to get it later this month, then Alaska Communications, Alaska CGI, Appalachian Wireless, Matanuska Telephone Association, Wisconsin's CellCom. seems like poor t-mobile is left out in the cold now, which is talked about here

http://gigaom.com/apple/why-ntelos-gets-the-iphone-but-t-mobile-must-wait/

Have a gut feeling att unlocked phones are not going to be seen for a while

Message 17 of 22

All of your questions will be answered in a few more days regarding about unlocking of iPhone

"ITS A GOOD NEWS Smiley Happy"
Message 18 of 22
Professor

I expected to see the board blow up with this one!  AT&T will begin unlocking out-of-contract iPhones on 4/8/12.  Where's the parade? Smiley Surprised

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/04/06/at-t-will-begin-unlocking-off-contract-iphones-on-april-8th/

Message 19 of 22

Good JOB! Smiley Happy
Message 20 of 22
Expert

21stNow wrote:

I expected to see the board blow up with this one!  AT&T will begin unlocking out-of-contract iPhones on 4/8/12.  Where's the parade? Smiley Surprised

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/04/06/at-t-will-begin-unlocking-off-contract-iphones-on-april-8th/

Kicker here

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."

Not going to be any good for the majority of people that come looking for a unlocked code

Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Professor

I still expected to see more posts, and they're starting to come in now. 

The unlock policy will work for me.  Everyone else has to get in where they fit in. Smiley Wink

Message 22 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support