What is " Sync Alert " ????,,,,,, and what is "Modify" ?????

Mentor

What is " Sync Alert " ????,,,,,, and what is "Modify" ?????

Been syncing my iPhone with my PC for a year or two now and I have never gotten a "Sync Alert".

My iTunes screen notice says:

Syncing with iPhone will change more than 5% of your contacts on this computer.

Add       Delete     Modify

9            0           294

What concerns me is the word "Modify",, a few years ago when I used Motorola phone's I was syncing my contacts with my PC using the Moto software and it asked me if I wanted to "Modify" my contacts, not kowing any better I clicked yes, and the Moto software erased ALL my contacts,, I forever lost about 650 phone numbers because some software designer used the word "Modify" instead of the word "erase",,,,, thats why I dont use Motorola phones anymore.

I have added the 9 numbers the iTunes shows but those are the ONLY changes I have made to my iPhone,,,, I have made no other changes so I dont understand what "Modify" 294 contacts means, is the word "Modify" also the word for "erase" like it was with my Moto software ??????

Thanks much for any help

Cheers

Davyo

Message 1 of 9 (3,428 Views)
Professor

Re: What is " Sync Alert " ????,,,,,, and what is "Modify" ?????

that is just some contacts.i always do not sync them. from outlook express.
Message 2 of 9 (3,415 Views)
Professor

davyo wrote:

Been syncing my iPhone with my PC for a year or two now and I have never gotten a "Sync Alert".

What concerns me is the word "Modify",, a few years ago when I used Motorola phone's I was syncing my contacts with my PC using the Moto software and it asked me if I wanted to "Modify" my contacts, not kowing any better I clicked yes, and the Moto software erased ALL my contacts,, I forever lost about 650 phone numbers because some software designer used the word "Modify" instead of the word "erase",,,,, thats why I dont use Motorola phones anymore.

I have added the 9 numbers the iTunes shows but those are the ONLY changes I have made to my iPhone,,,, I have made no other changes so I dont understand what "Modify" 294 contacts means, is the word "Modify" also the word for "erase" like it was with my Moto software ??????

Thanks much for any help

Cheers

Davyo

Modify does not mean erase.  There is a whole seperate column for erase/delete.

Basically, it is telling you that something changed on a LOT of your contacts.

You can turn off contact syncing if you are concerned.

Of course, if all your contacts are stored on your computer because you have been syncing them for some time, then you really have nothing to worry about.

Message 3 of 9 (3,408 Views)
Mentor

satchev wrote:

davyo wrote:

Thanks much for any help

Cheers

Davyo

Modify does not mean erase.  There is a whole seperate column for erase/delete.

Basically, it is telling you that something changed on a LOT of your contacts.

You can turn off contact syncing if you are concerned.

Of course, if all your contacts are stored on your computer because you have been syncing them for some time, then you really have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the reply.

The thing that concerns me is though is the "something changed on a LOT of my contacts", as I said, I have not changed anything except for adding those 9 contacts on my iPhone.

I have around 600 numbers/contacts so why is the sync picking 294 of them, if I have made no changes what make's those 294 contacts in need of a modification ?

As far as turning off the contact syncing thats the feature that is most important to me, saving all my contacts.

Sorry for all the questions and my confusion,, its just after my Motorola experience with the word "modify" I am very paronoid seeing that same term now being used with my iTunes software.

Thanks again for any help

Cheers

Davyo

Message 4 of 9 (3,392 Views)
Professor

The only way you will know what changed with those contacts is to go through each one and look.  No one here, I do not think, can tell you what changed.

If you have all the contacts on your computer, then you will not lose them if you continue to allow it to sync.

My best guess is that you modified something for each of those contacts either on your computer or on your iPhone.  Did you maybe put a lot of your contacts into a new group?  Did you modify any of the contacts, other than the 9 new ones that you are aware of?

Message 5 of 9 (3,372 Views)
Professor

There is an option in the iPhone setting menu (Settings >> Phone) that is called International Assist. When this option is activated, it adds the North American prefix code of "+1" to every number in the phone book. If you have this active, this may be what changed.
Message 6 of 9 (3,362 Views)
Mentor

satchev wrote:

The only way you will know what changed with those contacts is to go through each one and look.  No one here, I do not think, can tell you what changed.

If you have all the contacts on your computer, then you will not lose them if you continue to allow it to sync.

My best guess is that you modified something for each of those contacts either on your computer or on your iPhone.  Did you maybe put a lot of your contacts into a new group?  Did you modify any of the contacts, other than the 9 new ones that you are aware of?

Yes, I wish I knew what changed and why I am now getting this "sync alert",, I have not changed anything on my phone, my PC or my iTunes and have not changed any settings at all.

As far as "me having all the contacts on my PC and I wont lose them if I allow the sync" I dont know what to think,,, the alert does say its going to "change" more than 5% of the contacts on my PC,,, I wish I knew or had an idea of whats going to be changed ?

Cheers

Davyo

Message 7 of 9 (3,309 Views)
Mentor

EBSkater wrote:
There is an option in the iPhone setting menu (Settings >> Phone) that is called International Assist. When this option is activated, it adds the North American prefix code of "+1" to every number in the phone book. If you have this active, this may be what changed.

I dont think that would be it as I never activated it,, like I said,, I have not changed any settings on my phone, PC or iTunes,,, never had any issue's at all with syncing, have made no changes and now Im getting this sync alert.

Cheers

Davyo

Message 8 of 9 (3,308 Views)
Professor

Then the best solution would be to sync your contacts (ie. backup) with another cloud server (Gmail, Yahoo! contacts or ZYB come to mind), then sync your iPhone with your PC and see what happens. If your contacts get erased, then wipe your entire phone book and tell your cloud service to push the contacts back onto the phone.
Message 9 of 9 (3,292 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.