What is NOT a smart phone (it's relating to the data plan)

Tutor

What is NOT a smart phone (it's relating to the data plan)

I have an unlimited data plan.  I have found out that IF I buy a smart phone I will be dumped off it and forced onto another plan.  So, how do I determine if I phone I am working with IS a smartphone or not.  Where's that line drawn

Message 1 of 9 (6,755 Views)
Professor

Re: What is NOT a smart phone (it's relating to the data plan)

myobfool wrote:

I have an unlimited data plan.  I have found out that IF I buy a smart phone I will be dumped off it and forced onto another plan.  So, how do I determine if I phone I am working with IS a smartphone or not.  Where's that line drawn

Wow, that is one odd situation.  You would think if you have unlimited data (and for how long has it been?) , you would continue to have it with your phone upgrade (unless some phones have their own unique plan packages like iphones did prior to Verizon busted that open)

Message 2 of 9 (6,742 Views)
Tutor

LOL, sadly no, getting a smart phone means I very promptly lose the old unlimited data plan.. There's another whole thread on that where an awful lot of people's answer to me being unhappy with  the loss of unlimited data (when my wife got a smart phone they promptly cut off unlimited data and charged us $25.00 more/month

So every said in the other thread when I complained about losing unlimited data.

1. Tough luck

2. Go somewhere else

3. ATT can do what they want.

All facts of course, but again... what is NOT a smart phone and what is ATT's official this IS a smart phone this is NOT.

Message 3 of 9 (6,738 Views)
Master

A smartphone is any phone that requires a data plan. A non-smartphone is one that does not. So if you see a phone that you like, and in the terms of purchase it does not state "must require a limited $15 data plan or higher", then that phone is not a smartphone. Smartphones tend to look fancier and are on the pricier side.

Here's a list of non-smartphones that are available on AT&T's site here: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phones/quick-messaging.jsp

You could also use an older model that you may like better, and it will still qualify. For example, my last phone, a Samsung Mythic, is discontinued. I could still use it if I would like to.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 9 (6,732 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

myobfool wrote:

1. what is the billing description for the plan?

2. what phone is it on right now?

Prior to the requirement of the data plan, it was somethimes possible to hang a QMD style data plan on the older smartphones, if that is the case then the plan is not eligble for grandfathering, the only unlimited data plans that are grandfathered are the onles that specificly state that they are for a smartphone - IE iphone data plan, blackberry data plan, windows mobile data plan. If your old phone is a Iphone 2g then you are eligble but you will not have texting, that would be an additional charge

Message 5 of 9 (6,711 Views)
Tutor

It was the $30.00 combined text/data.  I'll take a look at whats available.  About all I want to find is a qwerty keyboard which my dying att quickfire had.  (I'd prefer to find a phone of that genre that did have wifi).   Biggest problem if I lose the grandfathered plan is my costs immediately go up since texting which was combined with data for 30 dollars total now becomes a 20 dollar plan plus 25 for data.  i.e. that's a big bump for no added value.

So I'll have to check through the lists and find another non-smart phone. 

Message 6 of 9 (6,699 Views)
Expert

myobfool wrote:

It was the $30.00 combined text/data.  I'll take a look at whats available.  About all I want to find is a qwerty keyboard which my dying att quickfire had.  (I'd prefer to find a phone of that genre that did have wifi).   Biggest problem if I lose the grandfathered plan is my costs immediately go up since texting which was combined with data for 30 dollars total now becomes a 20 dollar plan plus 25 for data.  i.e. that's a big bump for no added value.

So I'll have to check through the lists and find another non-smart phone. 

the 30.00 combine text/data is not a smartphon plan so it is not eligible for grandfathering, the only text data plan that was eligible was the original iphone 2g when you got unlimited data and 200 text messgae. So you do not have a grandfathered smartphone plan

Message 7 of 9 (6,690 Views)
Tutor

Right...... that's why I was looking for a NON-smart phone.  i.e. I have data on this phone and it's wearing out and it's the unlimited $30.00 text/data.  One of the earlier responses i.e. if the phone by ATT doesn't have require a data plan then it's de-facto not a smart phone... just a phone that can handle data.  I'm grandfathred in on the $30.00 non smart phone plan, ergo my original query.

Message 8 of 9 (6,668 Views)
Expert

myobfool wrote:

Right...... that's why I was looking for a NON-smart phone.  i.e. I have data on this phone and it's wearing out and it's the unlimited $30.00 text/data.  One of the earlier responses i.e. if the phone by ATT doesn't have require a data plan then it's de-facto not a smart phone... just a phone that can handle data.  I'm grandfathred in on the $30.00 non smart phone plan, ergo my original query.

unless something has been a change there is no need to worry about being grandfathered on the qmd device type phones - the only grandfathering is for smartphone data plans.

My daugher uses the Sharp FX, built in keyboard and she is a heavy texting person, mother inlaw has the HTC Freestyle, she likes it. Both are not smartphones and qualify for the standard unlimited data plan w/ texting

Message 9 of 9 (6,643 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.