Wireless Forums

Posted Apr 6, 2012
9:25:21 AM
View profile
What happened to detailed paper bills?

I save pdf copies of my paper bills and have for years.  Up until this month, these pdf bills had all call and data detail.  But no longer.  I want to save a local copy of my detailed bill.  Does anyone know how to do this?

I save pdf copies of my paper bills and have for years.  Up until this month, these pdf bills had all call and data detail.  But no longer.  I want to save a local copy of my detailed bill.  Does anyone know how to do this?

What happened to detailed paper bills?

17 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(17)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 9:50:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
When I go to View Bill Summary, there is a link for My Paper Bill (pdf).
It contains all the call and data detail.
When I go to View Bill Summary, there is a link for My Paper Bill (pdf).
It contains all the call and data detail.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What happened to detailed paper bills?

2 of 18 (7,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 12:47:17 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Here's a link with information on how to view current and old bill details: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB403136&cv=820,742#fbid=t9mjtZs2WYs

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Here's a link with information on how to view current and old bill details: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB403136&cv=820,742#fbid=t9mjtZs2WYs

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 18 (7,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 2:20:42 PM
(0)
Teacher

twentw wrote:

Brother, I feel your pain, and I have your answer. :smileyhappy:

Like you, I save all my old bills as pdf copies - in fact, I back them up to the cloud on Amazon S3.

Perhaps some of you were unaware that AT&T has just done a complete reformat of their printed bills. I just downloaded (I'm on paperless billing) my first bill in the new format yesterday. Most of the online support for printed bills is now incorrect (or returning "Article id is null").

The new bill format is described here:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410614&cv=820#fbid=VBi7iOhYK7w

and a sample bill in the new format can be printed from that page. The sample bill contains detailed call data. The actual bills (at least for the OP and me) do not. However, it is possible to extract full call data detail thus:

Under "Current Balance" on the Account Summary page, select "View BIll Summary".

Go down the page and click on "billed usage" for one of the lines on your account.

The resultant page is labeled  "International Roaming - Expanded" which has nothing to do with what's on this page. It's just labeled like that to fool the rubes.

Look down further, and you'll see "Download Call Details" to the right of "Phone Book". Click on "Download Call Details".

Now you'll see the ability to print paper bills. But don't try it - the new bill format, as you know, doesn't include call detail. Instead, select the date of your bill from the dropdown. and select one of the download formats.  I suggest XLS.  Save the file to your computer  - do not open it directly to EXCEL.  Why?  Because it's not an XLS file at all - it's an HTML file!  Again, a clever AT&T plan to fool the rubes.

So, download the .XLS file, rename its file extension to .html, and open it in a browser. You can then print it to pdf format using the pdf printer of your choice.  You can now store this call detail with (or in) your bill pdf.

Hopefully, AT&T will return call detail to the online pdf bill.  In that the current pdf bills are gray-scale rather than full color, I'm hoping this is just a first-cut kludge, and that full call detail will be added back soon.

twentw wrote:

Brother, I feel your pain, and I have your answer. :smileyhappy:

Like you, I save all my old bills as pdf copies - in fact, I back them up to the cloud on Amazon S3.

Perhaps some of you were unaware that AT&T has just done a complete reformat of their printed bills. I just downloaded (I'm on paperless billing) my first bill in the new format yesterday. Most of the online support for printed bills is now incorrect (or returning "Article id is null").

The new bill format is described here:

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410614&cv=820#fbid=VBi7iOhYK7w

and a sample bill in the new format can be printed from that page. The sample bill contains detailed call data. The actual bills (at least for the OP and me) do not. However, it is possible to extract full call data detail thus:

Under "Current Balance" on the Account Summary page, select "View BIll Summary".

Go down the page and click on "billed usage" for one of the lines on your account.

The resultant page is labeled  "International Roaming - Expanded" which has nothing to do with what's on this page. It's just labeled like that to fool the rubes.

Look down further, and you'll see "Download Call Details" to the right of "Phone Book". Click on "Download Call Details".

Now you'll see the ability to print paper bills. But don't try it - the new bill format, as you know, doesn't include call detail. Instead, select the date of your bill from the dropdown. and select one of the download formats.  I suggest XLS.  Save the file to your computer  - do not open it directly to EXCEL.  Why?  Because it's not an XLS file at all - it's an HTML file!  Again, a clever AT&T plan to fool the rubes.

So, download the .XLS file, rename its file extension to .html, and open it in a browser. You can then print it to pdf format using the pdf printer of your choice.  You can now store this call detail with (or in) your bill pdf.

Hopefully, AT&T will return call detail to the online pdf bill.  In that the current pdf bills are gray-scale rather than full color, I'm hoping this is just a first-cut kludge, and that full call detail will be added back soon.

4 of 18 (7,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2012 2:22:13 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

Great overview!

--------------

Great overview!

--------------

5 of 18 (7,473 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2012 10:17:18 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by njb503 on Apr 7, 2012 at 10:18:07 AM

I am experiencing the same problem--my call and data detail no longer appear on my PDF bill downloads, nor can I find any way to include this info in my PDF downloads. I realize the call and data detail can be accessed online, but since AT&T only makes records available for 18 months, this doesn't meet my needs. I want to be able to continue downloading full bills with call and data details, just like I've done for years.

Why is it possible for kdfederer to get this information, but not the rest of us?

Does jamileh realize that her answers to the original poster's questions are not responsive?

Why is this question marked as "solved?" The answer posted by quagmire is a klunky workaround only available to tech savvy users that shouldn't even be necessary.

What was the rationale behind removing call and data detail from PDF bills, or is this an accidental oversight?

Is this a temporary change or a permanent change?

If there was some reason behind this change, can AT&T at least make it an option to download PDF bills with full call details, like we were able to before?

I am experiencing the same problem--my call and data detail no longer appear on my PDF bill downloads, nor can I find any way to include this info in my PDF downloads. I realize the call and data detail can be accessed online, but since AT&T only makes records available for 18 months, this doesn't meet my needs. I want to be able to continue downloading full bills with call and data details, just like I've done for years.

Why is it possible for kdfederer to get this information, but not the rest of us?

Does jamileh realize that her answers to the original poster's questions are not responsive?

Why is this question marked as "solved?" The answer posted by quagmire is a klunky workaround only available to tech savvy users that shouldn't even be necessary.

What was the rationale behind removing call and data detail from PDF bills, or is this an accidental oversight?

Is this a temporary change or a permanent change?

If there was some reason behind this change, can AT&T at least make it an option to download PDF bills with full call details, like we were able to before?

[ Edited ]
6 of 18 (7,449 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2012 11:46:47 AM
(0)
Explorer

This is NOT right for those that don't have internet access to view and/or save their bill or just to check for errors such as mine.  The following is what I caught on my bill:

This is my third contract with AT&T, and there has been problems within all three contracts.  This one should go right to the top of the list of my complaints.  My Wife and I have a friend that has AT&T Wireless that happens to live less than six (6) miles from us, and I repeat, less than six (6) miles from us, and yes, this is in the US, and the same Area Code.  When my wilfe calls the other AT&T Wireless Customer, the call is billed as an international call at the rate of $1.70 a minute.  And get this.  The billed call says "Norway".  Now keep in mind that this person lives less than six (6) miles from us in the US.  As of yesterday, I'm waiting on a call from AT&T to explain this one.

This is NOT right for those that don't have internet access to view and/or save their bill or just to check for errors such as mine.  The following is what I caught on my bill:

This is my third contract with AT&T, and there has been problems within all three contracts.  This one should go right to the top of the list of my complaints.  My Wife and I have a friend that has AT&T Wireless that happens to live less than six (6) miles from us, and I repeat, less than six (6) miles from us, and yes, this is in the US, and the same Area Code.  When my wilfe calls the other AT&T Wireless Customer, the call is billed as an international call at the rate of $1.70 a minute.  And get this.  The billed call says "Norway".  Now keep in mind that this person lives less than six (6) miles from us in the US.  As of yesterday, I'm waiting on a call from AT&T to explain this one.
Galaxy Note x 2

7 of 18 (7,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2012 12:16:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

You raise a good point, mjmbluford. I figured there were likely moneymaking reasons behind the change, and this would certainly explain it. It's easy to nickle and dime the apathetic by letting minor "bugs" go uncorrected, and in the process generate lots of ill-begotten profits.

Are you sure, though, that this forced change applies to paper bills as well?

You raise a good point, mjmbluford. I figured there were likely moneymaking reasons behind the change, and this would certainly explain it. It's easy to nickle and dime the apathetic by letting minor "bugs" go uncorrected, and in the process generate lots of ill-begotten profits.

Are you sure, though, that this forced change applies to paper bills as well?

8 of 18 (7,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 9, 2012 9:49:16 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by quagmire on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:50:43 AM

AT&T has fixed the pdf versions of the new bills to include call detail!

I just re-downloaded, and I now see an additional section at the end of the bill with all the call detail the old bill format had.

I don't know if this forum had anything to do with it - but thanks, AT&T, for getting this taken care of.

AT&T has fixed the pdf versions of the new bills to include call detail!

I just re-downloaded, and I now see an additional section at the end of the bill with all the call detail the old bill format had.

I don't know if this forum had anything to do with it - but thanks, AT&T, for getting this taken care of.

Re: What happened to detailed paper bills? - FIXED!

[ Edited ]
9 of 18 (7,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 4:53:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

I talked with a Cust Support rep for quite a while (and he took repeated, lengthy side calls to other techs) and the best he could do is say he'd send me a detail paper bill for an unspecified charge (charge me to see what they were charging me for). He says a pdf of a detail bill is no longer a capability. You can look at the details on multiple web pages and downhload csv files (separately for phone1 call detail, phone1 data detail, phone1 msg detail, phone2 call detail, phone2 data detail, phone2 msg detail, phone3 call detail, phone3 data detail, phone3 msg detail). Then import and meerge all of these into an excel spreadsheet, attempt proper formatting, and finally (maybe) get a detail statement of your monthly billing that you can review and save for longer than ATT will keep the data accessible online. All that work to get what I'd been getting (since 2008) as a pdf with a couple of clicks.

Progres or obfuscation???

I talked with a Cust Support rep for quite a while (and he took repeated, lengthy side calls to other techs) and the best he could do is say he'd send me a detail paper bill for an unspecified charge (charge me to see what they were charging me for). He says a pdf of a detail bill is no longer a capability. You can look at the details on multiple web pages and downhload csv files (separately for phone1 call detail, phone1 data detail, phone1 msg detail, phone2 call detail, phone2 data detail, phone2 msg detail, phone3 call detail, phone3 data detail, phone3 msg detail). Then import and meerge all of these into an excel spreadsheet, attempt proper formatting, and finally (maybe) get a detail statement of your monthly billing that you can review and save for longer than ATT will keep the data accessible online. All that work to get what I'd been getting (since 2008) as a pdf with a couple of clicks.

Progres or obfuscation???

Re: What happened to detailed paper bills? - FIXED! (Not as of 4/14/2010 @ 4:40pm CST)

10 of 18 (7,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 14, 2012 11:53:11 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by njb503 on Apr 14, 2012 at 11:55:27 PM

Just as quagmire experienced, my paper bills for February and March have been fixed as well, and now contain my call and data history. I wonder if our discussion had anything to do with AT&T fixing this.

The new black and white bills are ugly compared to the older version, but that's okay as long as they contain full info.

Just as quagmire experienced, my paper bills for February and March have been fixed as well, and now contain my call and data history. I wonder if our discussion had anything to do with AT&T fixing this.

The new black and white bills are ugly compared to the older version, but that's okay as long as they contain full info.

[ Edited ]
11 of 18 (7,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2012 2:20:04 PM
(0)
Contributor

It seems it was fixed for a minute -my 3/16 bill showed downloaded when I downloaded the paper bill in the new ugly black and white format, but it was complete and had all my calls in a nifty two column format. Not so this month. I tried to download my 4/16 bill and abruptly it is only 4 pages, not the 20+ of last month's. I called to ask about this, and they were only able to get me to the area of the site described above where you can download the .xls/html version. I was told the only way to get the in-pdf format from last month is to pay $1.99 a month per line and get it on paper. Really guys? this is a ridiculous downgrade. I need these calls for compliance reasons. Why would you take something that works great and doesn't cost anyone anything and break it? If the system has a toggle for full details on the printed bill, then there is no reason teh same can't exist for the PDF as it did last month. Plus, the help files under "I would like a detailed bill" tell you to download it!

Is anyone from AT&T listening? Just want I wanted -- more trouble to supplement my wireless service, which is already unusable 2/3 of the time in NYC.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB90392&title=Why+did+I+lose+my+detailed+billing+on+my+...

Why did I lose my detailed billing on my paper bill?

If you recently made a change to your wireless account, your detailed billing may have been replaced with AT&T's easier to read Summary Bill. With the Summary Bill, you still get all the important information you need in a simpler, more eco-friendly format.

And as always, you can review your complete billing details online by logging in to myAT&T and selecting the My Online Bill link from the Account Overview page. When you select My Paper Bill, you can view, print or download the full copy of your bill.

It seems it was fixed for a minute -my 3/16 bill showed downloaded when I downloaded the paper bill in the new ugly black and white format, but it was complete and had all my calls in a nifty two column format. Not so this month. I tried to download my 4/16 bill and abruptly it is only 4 pages, not the 20+ of last month's. I called to ask about this, and they were only able to get me to the area of the site described above where you can download the .xls/html version. I was told the only way to get the in-pdf format from last month is to pay $1.99 a month per line and get it on paper. Really guys? this is a ridiculous downgrade. I need these calls for compliance reasons. Why would you take something that works great and doesn't cost anyone anything and break it? If the system has a toggle for full details on the printed bill, then there is no reason teh same can't exist for the PDF as it did last month. Plus, the help files under "I would like a detailed bill" tell you to download it!

Is anyone from AT&T listening? Just want I wanted -- more trouble to supplement my wireless service, which is already unusable 2/3 of the time in NYC.

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB90392&title=Why+did+I+lose+my+detailed+billing+on+my+paper+bill%3F#fbid=P3FM2CIUqnj

Why did I lose my detailed billing on my paper bill?

If you recently made a change to your wireless account, your detailed billing may have been replaced with AT&T's easier to read Summary Bill. With the Summary Bill, you still get all the important information you need in a simpler, more eco-friendly format.

And as always, you can review your complete billing details online by logging in to myAT&T and selecting the My Online Bill link from the Account Overview page. When you select My Paper Bill, you can view, print or download the full copy of your bill.

12 of 18 (6,321 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 4, 2012 11:10:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just downloaded my bill for May, and I have the same complaint as nycTuser. My May bill is back to being a four page summary, without call detail.

I thought we had this resolved.  C'mon AT&T, let's get this fixed, once and for all!

I just downloaded my bill for May, and I have the same complaint as nycTuser. My May bill is back to being a four page summary, without call detail.

I thought we had this resolved.  C'mon AT&T, let's get this fixed, once and for all!

13 of 18 (6,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 5, 2012 11:18:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just downloaded my paper bill for May and it does show my call and text details.

I just downloaded my paper bill for May and it does show my call and text details.

14 of 18 (6,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 5:07:40 AM
(0)
Teacher

I just re-downloaded my bill, and the call details have been "magically" added.  I note that the detail pages start with the notation "Reprint". and a couple of blank (except for headings) pages.   Hmmmm...

I just re-downloaded my bill, and the call details have been "magically" added.  I note that the detail pages start with the notation "Reprint". and a couple of blank (except for headings) pages.   Hmmmm...

15 of 18 (6,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2012 11:31:56 AM
(0)
Scholar

I'm back to where I was in the beginning.  My May bill does not have detail.  This needs to get permanently fixed.  I've been loyal to AT&T for quite a while, but issues like this are mounting, and my contract is up in a few months.

I'm back to where I was in the beginning.  My May bill does not have detail.  This needs to get permanently fixed.  I've been loyal to AT&T for quite a while, but issues like this are mounting, and my contract is up in a few months.

16 of 18 (6,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2012 8:10:56 PM
(0)
Contributor
Does the new bill include numbers called to and from the phone?
Does the new bill include numbers called to and from the phone?

17 of 18 (4,676 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 22, 2012 12:33:47 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

That information is always available by logging into your account and viewing your billing statement. There is a billing statement which shows a summary of your activity as well. 

Here's a link with information about the new bill format: http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Reading-Your-Bill-and-Understanding-the-Charges-viewing-ol...

--------------

That information is always available by logging into your account and viewing your billing statement. There is a billing statement which shows a summary of your activity as well. 

Here's a link with information about the new bill format: http://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-Billing/Reading-Your-Bill-and-Understanding-the-Charges-viewing-old/td-p/3222393

--------------

18 of 18 (4,644 Views)