What good is 4G?? :/

Expert

What good is 4G?? :/

Just have one question...what good are the 4G phones if 3G isn't even good in my area??? My phone NEVER stays on 3G at my home...it constantly switches between Edge and 3G and sometimes drops the signal all together. You would think that ATT would have perfected 3G before introducing the 4G phones. Smiley Indifferent

 




 REGRET NOTHING~


     we live & learn~

Message 1 of 21 (620 Views)
Master

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

[ Edited ]

Dcookie wrote:

Just have one question...what good are the 4G phones if 3G isn't even good in my area??? My phone NEVER stays on 3G at my home...it constantly switches between Edge and 3G and sometimes drops the signal all together. You would think that ATT would have perfected 3G before introducing the 4G phones. Smiley Indifferent


I feel similarly about it.  While my new E7 is a 3G device (as is my W518a), neither one are significantly faster in terms of browsing than their 2G only cousins in side by side comparisons.  (The E7 does make the initial connection noticeably faster, but for any page change from that point forward, my 2G only E70 is every bit as quick and sometimes quicker.  There is virtually no discernable difference between the two SEs.)  Yet I've done speed tests from the E7 and am told I'm getting respectable 3G speeds (although I've also been told the only way to truly do a speed test is to tether - using the phone as a modem - to see what kind of data speed it's actually getting).  So either others will just put up with browsing under far slower circumstances than I tolerate, or at&t opens the gates for speed testing and then throttles my service back to 2G levels when I'm just browsing.  lol.

 

All that really just to say again that for me, the most surprising improvement to the internet experience on my E7 comes from the touchscreen technology (which I didn't think I would like), and not the fact that it is a 3G device.  And I too continue to have the "why bother" feeling in terms of 4G potential since my E7 "internet use" experience has been completely different than what I had thought it would be. Smiley Happy

 

 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 2 of 21 (614 Views)
Expert

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

hme83..I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way, then. Smiley Wink Sure, it would be nice to have the latest and greatest 4G device but, for WHAT??? Especially HERE, in my area. I think I'll have to try that touchcreen eventually. Smiley Happy

 




 REGRET NOTHING~


     we live & learn~

Message 3 of 21 (610 Views)
Master

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

[ Edited ]

Dcookie wrote:

hme83..I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way, thenSmiley Wink Sure, it would be nice to have the latest and greatest 4G device but, for WHAT??? Especially HERE, in my area. I think I'll have to try that touchcreen eventually. Smiley Happy


Not at all.  For me, 3G has simply been an eagerly awaited, much anticipated at&t version of the Emperor's clothes. Smiley Sad

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 4 of 21 (605 Views)
Expert

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


hme83 wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

hme83..I guess I'm not the only one who feels this way, thenSmiley Wink Sure, it would be nice to have the latest and greatest 4G device but, for WHAT??? Especially HERE, in my area. I think I'll have to try that touchcreen eventually. Smiley Happy


Not at all.  For me, 3G has simply been an eagerly awaited, much anticipated at&t version of the Emporer's clothes. Smiley Sad


I guess we both can forget about 4G, wouldn't you say? Smiley Indifferent

 




 REGRET NOTHING~


     we live & learn~

Message 5 of 21 (602 Views)
Scholar

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

It all depends on the area, now where i am at I use the atrix 4g and it lets me stay on the hspa+ and can't wait for LTE to come. just differs on area.
______

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.”
Message 6 of 21 (596 Views)
Expert

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

[ Edited ]

Stephono wrote:
It all depends on the area, now where i am at I use the atrix 4g and it lets me stay on the hspa+ and can't wait for LTE to come. just differs on area.

Yes, I understand that but what gets me is, WHY didn't ATT get 3G out to everyone before they worked on 4G?? It's not like I live in the sticks..I live in a nice size city. 

 

Oh wow! I just checked the Coverage Viewer, and IF it's correct, my whole area is in dark blue..for 4G. But it also was covered like that for 3G. I think it lies...Smiley Indifferent

 

So, does anyone really know what areas 4G has been rolled out to?? 

 




 REGRET NOTHING~


     we live & learn~

Message 7 of 21 (591 Views)
Master

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


Stephono wrote:
It all depends on the area, now where i am at I use the atrix 4g and it lets me stay on the hspa+ and can't wait for LTE to come. just differs on area.

Oh, I'm "on" 3G - simultaneous use of voice and data and the 3.5G indicator is there.  It's just that the data access apeeds aren't substantially different than they are while using a 2G device for actual browsing in my case.  And I've already complained/received a "new" SIM, etc.

 

It's been an interesting evolution (imho) since the advent of the iPhone.  Whether you are an Apple/iPhone fan or not (I'm not) - it has changed the world in terms of the equipment we use today.  And it's the improvement in the equipment (specifically touchscreen technology) that has single-handedly really improved the internet experience that I am getting today with the E7; the carrier network technology enhancement (i.e. 3G/3.5G) has been much ado about nothing - in my own personal experience.  But I have nothing else to go by, as at least so far at&t hasn't been able to change my personal outcome either; which makes it very difficult to muster any enthusiasm toward yet another generation of network technology and it's related devices. 

                                                                                                                         =^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

     - Doug Larson

Message 8 of 21 (590 Views)
Expert

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


hme83 wrote:

Stephono wrote:
It all depends on the area, now where i am at I use the atrix 4g and it lets me stay on the hspa+ and can't wait for LTE to come. just differs on area.

Oh, I'm "on" 3G - simultaneous use of voice and data and the 3.5G indicator is there.  It's just that the data access apeeds aren't substantially different than they are while using a 2G device for actual browsing in my case.  And I've already complained/received a "new" SIM, etc.

 

It's been an interesting evolution (imho) since the advent of the iPhone.  Whether you are an Apple/iPhone fan or not (I'm not) - it has changed the world in terms of the equipment we use today.  And it's the improvement in the equipment (specifically touchscreen technology) that has single-handedly really improved the internet experience that I am getting today with the E7; the carrier network technology enhancement (i.e. 3G/3.5G) has been much ado about nothing - in my own personal experience.  But I have nothing else to go by, as at least so far at&t hasn't been able to change my personal outcome either; which makes it very difficult to muster any enthusiasm toward yet another generation of network technology and it's related devices. 


I agree! Personally, I'm not an iPhone fan, myself. Another thing I'm wondering is,  WHAT determines where ATT rolls out this new technology...maybe I should MOVE there to get the full experience because I surely am not getting it here. Smiley Tongue

 




 REGRET NOTHING~


     we live & learn~

Message 9 of 21 (585 Views)
Scholar

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

[ Edited ]

Haha It is cities that arn't to populated but have enough people to test, At&t has done it different then any other company by first installing a backhall 3.5 & 3g. Which honestly depends on the phone's antena strengh of what I have learned from working for the company, for example a bb tourch your lucky to keep a constant 3g connection.

______

“I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.”
Message 10 of 21 (580 Views)
Expert

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


Stephono wrote:

Haha It is cities that arn't to populated but have enough people to test, At&t has done it different then any other company by first installing a backhall 3.5 & 3g. Which honestly depends on the phone's antena strengh of what I have learned from working for the company, for example a bb tourch your lucky to keep a constant 3g connection.


Ha ha..I have a Nokia Mural, at the moment. So, are you saying that a 3G phone is worthless?? That we will be forced into a 4G phone in order to get a decent connection? So, that doesn't really make sense to me why ATT would test 4G in cities that AREN'T so populated. Maybe I'm missing something here...is this how they normally test something new? 

 




 REGRET NOTHING~


     we live & learn~

Message 11 of 21 (560 Views)
Master

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


Dcookie wrote:

You would think that ATT would have perfected 3G before introducing the 4G phones. Smiley Indifferent


You're completely right. This is what they should have done for the benefit of all customers living in different area throughout the country, but AT&T was playing follow the leader with the other carriers advertising "4G", and in some cases, actual 4G LTE.

They didn't want to be left behind in the dust, is the way I think of it. And especially if they would start to lose customers if they didn't come up with a quick "4G" claim.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 12 of 21 (554 Views)
Master

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


Wild Banchi wrote:

Dcookie wrote:

You would think that ATT would have perfected 3G before introducing the 4G phones. Smiley Indifferent


You're completely right. This is what they should have done for the benefit of all customers living in different area throughout the country, but AT&T was playing follow the leader with the other carriers advertising "4G", and in some cases, actual 4G LTE.

They didn't want to be left behind in the dust, is the way I think of it. And especially if they would start to lose customers if they didn't come up with a quick "4G" claim.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 13 of 21 (549 Views)

Re: What good is 4G?? :/

Except the Atrix isn't an LTE-capable device, isn't it? In this case, the "4G" for the Atrix is really HSPA+.

 


Stephono wrote:
It all depends on the area, now where i am at I use the atrix 4g and it lets me stay on the hspa+ and can't wait for LTE to come. just differs on area.



Message 14 of 21 (545 Views)
Master

Re: What good is 4G?? :/


BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Except the Atrix isn't an LTE-capable device, isn't it? In this case, the "4G" for the Atrix is really HSPA+.

 


Stephono wrote:
It all depends on the area, now where i am at I use the atrix 4g and it lets me stay on the hspa+ and can't wait for LTE to come. just differs on area.

 


Correct.  The Motorola Atrix is a HSPA+ phone and doesn't contain the radio hardware to access the LTE network.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 21 (543 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.