What effect would this have

Scholar

What effect would this have

What effect would downloading/installing the newest version of the iphone software (4.1) through i-tunes have on a jail broke 3GS? 

Message 1 of 5 (855 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: What effect would this have

Well,  at best, you would end-up with a non-jailbroken iPhone running the current OS.  At worst, you would end up with a fairly expensive paperweight.  It's hard to say exactly what would happen since the update is written for a standard OS on teh device, and you don't have one of those now.  I would suggest you check with the people who produced the jailbreak you used, they would probably be your best bet to find out how to do what you want...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 5 (827 Views)
Professor

If you select Apple's Upgrade option your device will become unjailbroken. Apple's Upgrade process replaces all software on the primary partition and leaves only your data. All jailbroken programs are deleted. 

Message 3 of 5 (816 Views)
Guru

Be warned:

Its safer to RESTORE THEN UPDATE
It makes sure EVERYTHING is back to apples standards

Message 4 of 5 (781 Views)
Professor

May be safer to wait a while if you want to keep your jb iPhone. Otherwise, you have to undo it to get the latest goodies.
Message 5 of 5 (679 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.