What causes data usage on IPhone?

Contributor

What causes data usage on IPhone?

I have 8 days left in my cycle and it says i'm at 95% of my data usage (195 MB out of 200 MB).   I rarely use the internet on the phone outside of my house and in my house, I'm always using WiFI (which doesn't affect data plans).  

So my question, is what could be using more data that I think it should?   Are their "push notification" settings somewhere that I could tweak to prevent so much data being used?

It says like 20 MB is "sent" and like 170 MB is "received", so I need to find out what is "receiving" so much data.

Any input would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8 (14,635 Views)
Scholar

Re: What causes data usage on IPhone?

[ Edited ]
Message 2 of 8 (14,630 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

go to Settings -> General -> Network and turn off Cellular Data option. Now, if you don't have wifi, you won't have a network.

As to what uses data? All kinds of things. Weather. Stocks. Safari, Email, a million apps. Maps. Etc, etc.

Try turning off cellular data, and find out what no longer works that you didn't realize was using data, and you'll know.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 8 (14,537 Views)
Mentor

I was just going to ask this. Because I looked up my billing,well actually it's my parents since they pay and unfortunately while my mom and lil sister have unlimited data, i dont because my mom just decided to put me on the plan. Well all I've been doing is texting and going on facebook through WiFi and noticed it had Data usage on the bill..AT&T just needs to offer Unlimited Data again and still offer the other data packages as well because some of us need that unlimited data whether AT&T thinks so or not.

Message 4 of 8 (14,500 Views)
Professor

80 percent of what iPhone users do is net based. Putting airplane mode on or turn off cell data do work in part on overnight phantom usage but in a recent post on blogs that may not be counted as it's a ping system for updates to connectivity.

Turn off Mail push (settings, mail, push, advanced, accounts)
Turn off push on apps (shutting off push shows warning dialogs)
Turn off location services in general of apps you don't need pinging except navigation (general/ls)
Message 5 of 8 (14,488 Views)
Professor

Also, I'd recommend closing all of your apps in the multi-tasking bar to ensure none are still using data.
Message 6 of 8 (14,481 Views)
ACE - Professor

josephz2va wrote:
80 percent of what iPhone users do is net based. Putting airplane mode on or turn off cell data do work in part on overnight phantom usage but in a recent post on blogs that may not be counted as it's a ping system for updates to connectivity.

Turn off Mail push (settings, mail, push, advanced, accounts)
Turn off push on apps (shutting off push shows warning dialogs)
Turn off location services in general of apps you don't need pinging except navigation (general/ls)

What I don't get is, with good Wifi coverage at home and work, I don't bother turning off any of that, I just use mine, and so far I haven't seen any major data surprises in usage. I've got the 2GB plan, and I've used 17Mb in 23 days. Either I am the luckiest guy in the world, or people are using a lot of data they just don't understand that they're using.

One of the big data users is google maps. Check a map on 3G and you can burn a few hundred mb in no time at all.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 8 (14,459 Views)
Mentor

I am just as lucky as you.  My situation is similar, wifi at home and work, where most of my data usage occurs.  For July I had 31MB usage in 29 days.  I am not turning anything off, either.

Paul

Message 8 of 8 (14,443 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.