What a {word filter evasion} rip-off from AT&T on SmartPhones

Contributor

What a {word filter evasion} rip-off from AT&T on SmartPhones

[ Edited ]

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Been a 6 years loyal customer with AT&T just to get ripped off. My wife has been using a smart phone with AT&T for the past two years with no data plan and all of a sudden they want to now apply a data package to her phone even though she doesn't want it.

What a rip off, so you have to pay for something that you don't even want. Only way is to give up that phone and buy another stupid phone. What kind of a stupid requirement is that? What the heck if FCC doing?

In this time of recession when everyone is still trying to get back on their feet, this is a horrible move from AT&T. I would hate to stay another month with AT&T if they don't fix this issue for me asap. Their coverage sucks regardless with data and signal.

Message 1 of 3 (231 Views)
Expert

Re: What a {word filter evasion} rip-off from AT&T on SmartPhones

nilesh wrote:

{Personal content removed for your safety}

Been a 6 years loyal customer with AT&T just to get ripped off. My wife has been using a smart phone with AT&T for the past two years with no data plan and all of a sudden they want to now apply a data package to her phone even though she doesn't want it.

What a rip off, so you have to pay for something that you don't even want. Only way is to give up that phone and buy another stupid phone. What kind of a stupid requirement is that? What the heck if FCC doing?

In this time of recession when everyone is still trying to get back on their feet, this is a horrible move from AT&T. I would hate to stay another month with AT&T if they don't fix this issue for me asap. Their coverage sucks regardless with data and signal.

the policy went into effect in 2009, those that had smartphones at the time with the no data policy applied had it grandfathered ONLY to the device that was on the account at the time, any upgrade, swap of sims to a different phone removed the grandfathered feature with no recourse to get it back.

Current all of the top 3 tiered carriers require data plans on smartphones on the normal contracts.

Message 2 of 3 (226 Views)
Highlighted

Re: What a {word filter evasion} rip-off from AT&T on SmartPhones

All smartphones require a data plan on AT&T's network. This is not a new policy. By using a smartphone without a data plan you are not following the wireless customer agreement, therefore AT&T has a right to add a data plan. If you are not looking to pay for a data plan, the best thing to do is to swtich to a non-smartphone which doesn't have any requirements.

Message 3 of 3 (204 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.