Helpful Links

What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

Professor

What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

Will the unlock threads finally cease?  With AT&T unlocking out-of-contract iPhones starting April 8th, whatever will we talk about?

Message 1 of 29
Mentor

Re: What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

21stNow wrote:

Will the unlock threads finally cease?  With AT&T unlocking out-of-contract iPhones starting April 8th, whatever will we talk about?

Trust me, they will find someting to whine about.

Message 2 of 29
Expert

they don't have to, not going to benefit the majority of people that come looking for a unlock

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."

Message 3 of 29

Yep...so everyone in some backwater hamlet who had a brother/cousin/auntie send them an iPhone, or who purchased one off eBay with the "guarantee" it was unlocked, will be unable to get any help from AT&T.

Message 4 of 29
Teacher

New Reality wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Trust me, they will find someting to whine about.

tethering charges...

Message 5 of 29
Master

We will still here from those who are not customers and have not had a contract with ATT but want their iPhones unlocked.  My guess is they will be out of luck......

I am glad to see that they will unlock an iPhone that is out of contract!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 6 of 29
Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

they don't have to, not going to benefit the majority of people that come looking for a unlock

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."

I would imagine the majority of iPhones sold on eBay etc are sold after the previous owner upgraded; wouldn't that make it eligible for unlock as per your post?
Message 7 of 29

I'm not sure I would stake my claim to that. A lot of newer iPhones wound up on eBay shortly after release. And even if the iPhones being sold are out of contract, the AT&T customer, not the person who bought the phone on eBay, would be the qualifying customer.

Message 8 of 29
Professor

Yeah, it seems, based on the wording, that they are only going to do it for AT&T customers who have an account. In other words, people who have been paying AT&T for the duration of a contract (or EFTing out). Don't see AT&T doing it for people who haven't paid a cent to AT&T, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Message 9 of 29
Professor

why would AT&T unlock the iphones after the contract ends? what is  the benfit of this?  so that customer can leave and take his business to another cell provider?

Message 10 of 29
Professor

graphite07 wrote:

why would AT&T unlock the iphones after the contract ends? what is  the benfit of this?  so that customer can leave and take his business to another cell provider?

They unlock other phones, so there was always a chance of that happening with any other phone.  Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  First, if your contract is over and you still stayed with AT&T, chances are you aren't going to suddenly pick up and leave.  Also, where are you going to go?  You can't go to the CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint, and I doubt there will be a herd of people trampling out the door to go to T-mobile.

Business might actually pick up if people bought an AT&T contract phone knowing that after the contract is up they could get it unlocked instead of having to pay Apple the high price for a factory unlocked phone.

Message 11 of 29
Expert

TerraPhantm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I would imagine the majority of iPhones sold on eBay etc are sold after the previous owner upgraded; wouldn't that make it eligible for unlock as per your post?

per the statement - only if it was the original owner that was requesting it and they still had a active account in good standing, the person that bought the phone would not get a unlock

Message 12 of 29
Expert

dwill05 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

They unlock other phones, so there was always a chance of that happening with any other phone.  Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  First, if your contract is over and you still stayed with AT&T, chances are you aren't going to suddenly pick up and leave.  Also, where are you going to go?  You can't go to the CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint, and I doubt there will be a herd of people trampling out the door to go to T-mobile.

Business might actually pick up if people bought an AT&T contract phone knowing that after the contract is up they could get it unlocked instead of having to pay Apple the high price for a factory unlocked phone.

especially now that t-mobile is selling towers and laying off people

Message 13 of 29
Master

It is long overdue. Users are not necessarily going to leave. Consider t-mobile does not support the 3G bands for the iPhone. International travelers will benefit. Not to mention resale value so the original owner can buy a newer phone for less out of pocket.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 14 of 29

Wingrider01, I don't think you're interpreting the statement correctly. If ATT were requiring that the person be a current customer they would have said "current and in good standing" (a common phrase used in various places on the ATT site).

Per the NY Times article: "Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T, confirmed the news in an interview on Friday. “The only requirement is that the account has to be in good standing,” he said. “And it can’t be associated with a current long-term commitment with AT&T.”"

Good standing means no delinquent payment, not reported stolen, no collection agency invovlement, etc. I don't believe it has anything to do with being a current customer. And it says nothing about being the original owner.

Message 15 of 29
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support