Ask a question

Posted Apr 6, 2012
    11:47:59 AM
    View profile
    What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

Will the unlock threads finally cease?  With AT&T unlocking out-of-contract iPhones starting April 8th, whatever will we talk about?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

28 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (28)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 6, 2012 11:49:32 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

21stNow wrote:

Will the unlock threads finally cease?  With AT&T unlocking out-of-contract iPhones starting April 8th, whatever will we talk about?

Trust me, they will find someting to whine about.

Re: What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

2 of 29 (1,403 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 6, 2012 1:00:59 PM
    (0)
    Expert

they don't have to, not going to benefit the majority of people that come looking for a unlock

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."

3 of 29 (1,376 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 6, 2012 1:06:27 PM
    (0)
    Guru

Yep...so everyone in some backwater hamlet who had a brother/cousin/auntie send them an iPhone, or who purchased one off eBay with the "guarantee" it was unlocked, will be unable to get any help from AT&T.

4 of 29 (1,375 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 6, 2012 6:23:58 PM
    (0)
    Teacher

New Reality wrote:

21stNow wrote:

Trust me, they will find someting to whine about.

tethering charges...

5 of 29 (1,294 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 6, 2012 7:34:43 PM
    (0)
    Master
    Edited by youngjm on Apr 6, 2012 at 7:35:33 PM

We will still here from those who are not customers and have not had a contract with ATT but want their iPhones unlocked.  My guess is they will be out of luck......

I am glad to see that they will unlock an iPhone that is out of contract!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

[ Edited ]
    6 of 29 (1,276 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 7:42:18 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

wingrider01 wrote:

they don't have to, not going to benefit the majority of people that come looking for a unlock

"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones. The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."

I would imagine the majority of iPhones sold on eBay etc are sold after the previous owner upgraded; wouldn't that make it eligible for unlock as per your post?

7 of 29 (1,198 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 8:04:26 AM
    (0)
    Guru

I'm not sure I would stake my claim to that. A lot of newer iPhones wound up on eBay shortly after release. And even if the iPhones being sold are out of contract, the AT&T customer, not the person who bought the phone on eBay, would be the qualifying customer.

8 of 29 (1,187 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 8:24:02 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    Yeah, it seems, based on the wording, that they are only going to do it for AT&T customers who have an account. In other words, people who have been paying AT&T for the duration of a contract (or EFTing out). Don't see AT&T doing it for people who haven't paid a cent to AT&T, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

9 of 29 (1,181 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 8:29:09 AM
    (0)
    Professor

why would AT&T unlock the iphones after the contract ends? what is  the benfit of this?  so that customer can leave and take his business to another cell provider?

hello!!!

10 of 29 (1,180 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 8:42:33 AM
    (0)
    Professor

graphite07 wrote:

why would AT&T unlock the iphones after the contract ends? what is  the benfit of this?  so that customer can leave and take his business to another cell provider?

They unlock other phones, so there was always a chance of that happening with any other phone.  Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  First, if your contract is over and you still stayed with AT&T, chances are you aren't going to suddenly pick up and leave.  Also, where are you going to go?  You can't go to the CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint, and I doubt there will be a herd of people trampling out the door to go to T-mobile.

Business might actually pick up if people bought an AT&T contract phone knowing that after the contract is up they could get it unlocked instead of having to pay Apple the high price for a factory unlocked phone.

11 of 29 (993 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 8:48:02 AM
    (0)
    Expert

TerraPhantm wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

I would imagine the majority of iPhones sold on eBay etc are sold after the previous owner upgraded; wouldn't that make it eligible for unlock as per your post?

per the statement - only if it was the original owner that was requesting it and they still had a active account in good standing, the person that bought the phone would not get a unlock

12 of 29 (991 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 8:49:24 AM
    (0)
    Expert

dwill05 wrote:

graphite07 wrote:

They unlock other phones, so there was always a chance of that happening with any other phone.  Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  First, if your contract is over and you still stayed with AT&T, chances are you aren't going to suddenly pick up and leave.  Also, where are you going to go?  You can't go to the CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint, and I doubt there will be a herd of people trampling out the door to go to T-mobile.

Business might actually pick up if people bought an AT&T contract phone knowing that after the contract is up they could get it unlocked instead of having to pay Apple the high price for a factory unlocked phone.

especially now that t-mobile is selling towers and laying off people

13 of 29 (991 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 9:40:02 AM
    (0)
    Master
    It is long overdue. Users are not necessarily going to leave. Consider t-mobile does not support the 3G bands for the iPhone. International travelers will benefit. Not to mention resale value so the original owner can buy a newer phone for less out of pocket.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
    Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
    https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
    Posted from my iPhone _____________________________ For service or support questions including existing order status, call: Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500 Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

14 of 29 (982 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 11:09:16 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    Edited by cacophony555 on Apr 7, 2012 at 11:22:31 AM

Wingrider01, I don't think you're interpreting the statement correctly. If ATT were requiring that the person be a current customer they would have said "current and in good standing" (a common phrase used in various places on the ATT site).

Per the NY Times article: "Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T, confirmed the news in an interview on Friday. “The only requirement is that the account has to be in good standing,” he said. “And it can’t be associated with a current long-term commitment with AT&T.”"

Good standing means no delinquent payment, not reported stolen, no collection agency invovlement, etc. I don't believe it has anything to do with being a current customer. And it says nothing about being the original owner.

[ Edited ]
    15 of 29 (960 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 3:22:53 PM
    (0)
    Expert

cacophony555 wrote:

Wingrider01, I don't think you're interpreting the statement correctly. If ATT were requiring that the person be a current customer they would have said "current and in good standing" (a common phrase used in various places on the ATT site).

Per the NY Times article: "Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T, confirmed the news in an interview on Friday. “The only requirement is that the account has to be in good standing,” he said. “And it can’t be associated with a current long-term commitment with AT&T.”"

Good standing means no delinquent payment, not reported stolen, no collection agency invovlement, etc. I don't believe it has anything to do with being a current customer. And it says nothing about being the original owner.

they are stating that - a account that does not exist or is closed in not in good standing nor is it a qualifying account since there is none. Not associated with a cirrent long term commitment, IE my Iphone 3GS and my Iphone 4 that is sitting in a bottom desk drawer is not associated with my current long-term commitment with att, my Iphone 4S is the one that is assoicated - the 4 and 3GS can be unlocked becasue I am a qualifying account and neither of them are associated with a long term commitment.

16 of 29 (901 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 7, 2012 4:11:00 PM
    (0)
    Teacher
    Edited by swSteve on Apr 7, 2012 at 4:12:59 PM

dwill05 wrote:

====================================================

Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  

That's strange.

You wrote the exact opposite in my thread:

dwill05 wrote:

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Should-ATT-unlock-iPhones-to-Compete-with-Verizon/td-p/2678559

Well Done!

I'm so pleased that after due consideration,

both you and (more importantly) AT&T agreed with my suggestions.

Steve

[ Edited ]
    17 of 29 (883 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2012 12:34:03 AM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I have a question. How does one get the unlock performed? Do I have to go into an AT&T store? Or can AT&T do it over-the-air? And if so can they do it OTA in Japan? I'm currently in Japan temporarily and would like to unlock my iPhone while I'm here. But then go back to AT&T once I return home.

18 of 29 (816 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2012 4:39:06 AM
    (0)
    Mentor

swSteve wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  

That's strange.

You wrote the exact opposite in my thread:

dwill05 wrote:

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Should-ATT-unlock-iPhones-to-Compete-with-Verizon/td-p/2678559

Well Done!

I'm so pleased that after due consideration,

both you and (more importantly) AT&T agreed with my suggestions.

Steve

it's a step in the right direction at least. Ideally the unlocking conditions should be the same as any other AT&T phone (or better yet, Verizon's conditions): Namely the customer is in good standing for 90 days (or 60 days in the case of vzw). You would think a customer who unlocks his/her phone out of contract is more likely to leave than one who's still tied to a commitment.

19 of 29 (753 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2012 7:57:01 AM
    (0)
    Contributor

nope still cannot get it unlocked.

Bought, iphone first gen in 2007, contract over in 2009, been with AT&t for last 5 years...

Called this morning and was told cannot "NOT ELIGIBLE" and they dont know why I am not eligible....

Anyone having similar issues ?

20 of 29 (681 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2012 8:52:13 AM
    (0)
    Professor
    T-Mobile uses different frequencies for faster data connections, so a GSM iPhone would not work well for another other top tier cell company in the US. It will benefit people wanting to sell ghost used iPhones to international or other at&t customers.

21 of 29 (703 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2012 10:54:31 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

FredW wrote:
    T-Mobile uses different frequencies for faster data connections, so a GSM iPhone would not work well for another other top tier cell company in the US. It will benefit people wanting to sell ghost used iPhones to international or other at&t customers.

But, everyone doesn't need a top-tier cellular company.  Some of the AT&T MVNOs offer great service.  Also, taking the phone to T-Mobile will be a boon for those that didn't want cellular data plans with their iPhones, as T-Mobile does not require a data plan if you bring your own device.  Since those people will use Wi-fi only, cellular data speeds won't matter.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

22 of 29 (666 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 8, 2012 10:32:45 PM
    (0)
    Scholar
    The benefit of unlocking ur iPhones after ur contracts ceased
    Would be to stop the phones being sold once there unlocked
    There worth more unlocked then when they were locked!

iPhone's sold outside USA are valued more cos USA prices
    Are generally lower there then other parts of the Globe eg.
    a 64GB iPhone 4S costs £699.99 United Kingdom BNIB
    That's $499.99 I think?!

23 of 29 (619 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 9, 2012 8:25:45 AM
    (0)
    Guru
    Edited by stclair49 on Apr 9, 2012 at 8:26:30 AM

What is everyone going to talk about???

Well, from the looks of things on the unlock thread, half the population of the known world is asking to "please unlock my phone".

Almost like the "I ordered my Iphone(insert Number), when will it ship" threads, on launch day.

I personally am glad i don't work in AT&T CS. Wonder how long it will take to work thru all the unlock requests ?

[ Edited ]
    24 of 29 (584 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 9, 2012 9:31:38 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

I agree with you.  I think that this will be a popular topic through around July of this year, when many of the initial iPhone 4 contracts expire.

25 of 29 (569 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 9, 2012 11:16:34 AM
    (0)
    Expert
    Edited by wingrider01 on Apr 9, 2012 at 11:18:21 AM

21stNow wrote:

I agree with you.  I think that this will be a popular topic through around July of this year, when many of the initial iPhone 4 contracts expire.

suspect that it will go on, especially with those posting about how unfair it is because att will not unlock their phone since it does not qualify

feel sorry for the mods that have to keep logging on to merge individual posts of "can I get my phone unloked" though, turning into a full time job

[ Edited ]
    26 of 29 (557 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 9, 2012 11:33:51 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

And, that thread is getting very hard to read/follow.  Once I click on the number to jump to the first unread message, it takes me further back in the thread.  Sometimes, it's to a post that was merged from another thread that I hadn't read.  Other times, it takes me to items that I already read that are part of the original thread.

One big thread is probably better than many small threads but possibly not as good as a few medium-sized threads.

27 of 29 (549 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 9, 2012 1:20:58 PM
    (0)
    Expert

21stNow wrote:

And, that thread is getting very hard to read/follow.  Once I click on the number to jump to the first unread message, it takes me further back in the thread.  Sometimes, it's to a post that was merged from another thread that I hadn't read.  Other times, it takes me to items that I already read that are part of the original thread.

One big thread is probably better than many small threads but possibly not as good as a few medium-sized threads.

keep everything in one place, no need to clog the forums up with multiple I want my phone unlocked posts, in the majority of cases it is the exact same post with norhing but the country of orgin changing

28 of 29 (539 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 9, 2012 5:17:18 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

Maybe AT&T need to bring in a IP Blocker on this forum so that US Citizens get the correct information rather

then have Outsiders rally on about the unlocking theory Smiley Happy

this is a general forum afterall if that person needs actual advise then they need to be heading to a telephone and dialing AT&T direct Smiley Happy

the whole Unlocking situation is like a gigantic Stampede and its rather annoying!!!!

29 of 29 (521 Views)