What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

Professor

What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

Will the unlock threads finally cease?  With AT&T unlocking out-of-contract iPhones starting April 8th, whatever will we talk about?

Message 1 of 29
Expert

Re: What Will We Talk About After April 8th?

cacophony555 wrote:

Wingrider01, I don't think you're interpreting the statement correctly. If ATT were requiring that the person be a current customer they would have said "current and in good standing" (a common phrase used in various places on the ATT site).

Per the NY Times article: "Mark Siegel, a spokesman for AT&T, confirmed the news in an interview on Friday. “The only requirement is that the account has to be in good standing,” he said. “And it can’t be associated with a current long-term commitment with AT&T.”"

Good standing means no delinquent payment, not reported stolen, no collection agency invovlement, etc. I don't believe it has anything to do with being a current customer. And it says nothing about being the original owner.

they are stating that - a account that does not exist or is closed in not in good standing nor is it a qualifying account since there is none. Not associated with a cirrent long term commitment, IE my Iphone 3GS and my Iphone 4 that is sitting in a bottom desk drawer is not associated with my current long-term commitment with att, my Iphone 4S is the one that is assoicated - the 4 and 3GS can be unlocked becasue I am a qualifying account and neither of them are associated with a long term commitment.

Message 16 of 29
Teacher

dwill05 wrote:

====================================================

Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  

That's strange.

You wrote the exact opposite in my thread:

dwill05 wrote:

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Should-ATT-unlock-iPhones-to-Compete-with-Verizon/td-p/2678559

Well Done!

I'm so pleased that after due consideration,

both you and (more importantly) AT&T agreed with my suggestions.

Steve

Message 17 of 29
Tutor

I have a question. How does one get the unlock performed? Do I have to go into an AT&T store? Or can AT&T do it over-the-air? And if so can they do it OTA in Japan? I'm currently in Japan temporarily and would like to unlock my iPhone while I'm here. But then go back to AT&T once I return home.
Message 18 of 29
Mentor

swSteve wrote:

dwill05 wrote:

Personally, I don't think this will make people more likely to leave.  

That's strange.

You wrote the exact opposite in my thread:

dwill05 wrote:

How would that "help" AT&T?  Unlocking them gives people incentive to leave AT&T for elsewhere

http://forums.att.com/t5/Apple-iPhone/Should-ATT-unlock-iPhones-to-Compete-with-Verizon/td-p/2678559

Well Done!

I'm so pleased that after due consideration,

both you and (more importantly) AT&T agreed with my suggestions.

Steve

it's a step in the right direction at least. Ideally the unlocking conditions should be the same as any other AT&T phone (or better yet, Verizon's conditions): Namely the customer is in good standing for 90 days (or 60 days in the case of vzw). You would think a customer who unlocks his/her phone out of contract is more likely to leave than one who's still tied to a commitment.
Message 19 of 29
Contributor

nope still cannot get it unlocked.

Bought, iphone first gen in 2007, contract over in 2009, been with AT&t for last 5 years...

Called this morning and was told cannot "NOT ELIGIBLE" and they dont know why I am not eligible....

Anyone having similar issues ?

Message 20 of 29
Professor

T-Mobile uses different frequencies for faster data connections, so a GSM iPhone would not work well for another other top tier cell company in the US. It will benefit people wanting to sell ghost used iPhones to international or other at&t customers.
Message 21 of 29
Professor

FredW wrote:
T-Mobile uses different frequencies for faster data connections, so a GSM iPhone would not work well for another other top tier cell company in the US. It will benefit people wanting to sell ghost used iPhones to international or other at&t customers.

But, everyone doesn't need a top-tier cellular company.  Some of the AT&T MVNOs offer great service.  Also, taking the phone to T-Mobile will be a boon for those that didn't want cellular data plans with their iPhones, as T-Mobile does not require a data plan if you bring your own device.  Since those people will use Wi-fi only, cellular data speeds won't matter.

Message 22 of 29
Scholar

The benefit of unlocking ur iPhones after ur contracts ceased
Would be to stop the phones being sold once there unlocked
There worth more unlocked then when they were locked!

iPhone's sold outside USA are valued more cos USA prices
Are generally lower there then other parts of the Globe eg.
a 64GB iPhone 4S costs £699.99 United Kingdom BNIB
That's $499.99 I think?!
Message 23 of 29

What is everyone going to talk about???

Well, from the looks of things on the unlock thread, half the population of the known world is asking to "please unlock my phone".

Almost like the "I ordered my Iphone(insert Number), when will it ship" threads, on launch day.

I personally am glad i don't work in AT&T CS. Wonder how long it will take to work thru all the unlock requests ?

Message 24 of 29
Professor

I agree with you.  I think that this will be a popular topic through around July of this year, when many of the initial iPhone 4 contracts expire.

Message 25 of 29
Expert

21stNow wrote:

I agree with you.  I think that this will be a popular topic through around July of this year, when many of the initial iPhone 4 contracts expire.

suspect that it will go on, especially with those posting about how unfair it is because att will not unlock their phone since it does not qualify

feel sorry for the mods that have to keep logging on to merge individual posts of "can I get my phone unloked" though, turning into a full time job

Message 26 of 29
Professor

And, that thread is getting very hard to read/follow.  Once I click on the number to jump to the first unread message, it takes me further back in the thread.  Sometimes, it's to a post that was merged from another thread that I hadn't read.  Other times, it takes me to items that I already read that are part of the original thread.

One big thread is probably better than many small threads but possibly not as good as a few medium-sized threads.

Message 27 of 29
Expert

21stNow wrote:

And, that thread is getting very hard to read/follow.  Once I click on the number to jump to the first unread message, it takes me further back in the thread.  Sometimes, it's to a post that was merged from another thread that I hadn't read.  Other times, it takes me to items that I already read that are part of the original thread.

One big thread is probably better than many small threads but possibly not as good as a few medium-sized threads.

keep everything in one place, no need to clog the forums up with multiple I want my phone unlocked posts, in the majority of cases it is the exact same post with norhing but the country of orgin changing

Message 28 of 29
Highlighted
Scholar

Maybe AT&T need to bring in a IP Blocker on this forum so that US Citizens get the correct information rather

then have Outsiders rally on about the unlocking theory Smiley Happy

this is a general forum afterall if that person needs actual advise then they need to be heading to a telephone and dialing AT&T direct Smiley Happy

the whole Unlocking situation is like a gigantic Stampede and its rather annoying!!!!

Message 29 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Find the Unlimited Plan that works best for you at our Knowledge Sharing Session: Whole Lotta' Data Going On on Wed. 6/28 from 1-4pm ET / noon-3pm CT / 10am-1pm PT!

Find out the very latest about the new iPad Pros!

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support