Helpful Links

What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

Professor

What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

Now that Verizon has the Iphone and it's not really AT&T's flagship phone, what will ATT now promote or roll out as a customer grabber?  Each carrier has that top-of-the-line phone that would make customers from even other services want to jump ship to get.  AT&T, whats it gonna be?

Message 1 of 29
Professor

Re: What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

For now, probably the Galaxy S.  But I doubt you will see a big push for it.  The next really big phone will probably be one of the new high end 4G android phones.  Even though 4G isn't available on at&t yet.

Message 2 of 29
Expert

RicoLX wrote:

Now that Verizon has the Iphone and it's not really AT&T's flagship phone, what will ATT now promote or roll out as a customer grabber?  Each carrier has that top-of-the-line phone that would make customers from even other services want to jump ship to get.  AT&T, whats it gonna be?

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right? From other threads on this forum it appears that the true number of people "flocking away from ATT" is a lot smaller then what was thought

Message 3 of 29
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right? From other threads on this forum it appears that the true number of people "flocking away from ATT" is a lot smaller then what was thought

The Iphone was a flagship phone for ATT since its release , not a minor deal at all.  It was this phone that people were 'flocking away from their carriers' and signing onto ATT so that they can get their hands on the Iphone and not the other way around like you staetd above.    I never said ATT lost a flock of customers .  My question is:" NOW that the Iphone is no longer solely vailable at ATT and no one will be 'flocking away' from their carriers over to att to get their hands on it,   what will be ATT's latest and greatest phone that would be so good and a must-have , that people would want to "jump ship" to get their hands on it..

and there is no doubt the iphone was not a 'minor' phone on th att market... it was major., sorry.

Message 4 of 29
Expert

RicoLX wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

The Iphone was a flagship phone for ATT since its release , not a minor deal at all.  It was this phone that people were 'flocking away from their carriers' and signing onto ATT so that they can get their hands on the Iphone and not the other way around like you staetd above.    I never said ATT lost a flock of customers .  My question is:" NOW that the Iphone is no longer solely vailable at ATT and no one will be 'flocking away' from their carriers over to att to get their hands on it,   what will be ATT's latest and greatest phone that would be so good and a must-have , that people would want to "jump ship" to get their hands on it..

and there is no doubt the iphone was not a 'minor' phone on th att market... it was major., sorry.

deoends on what you base the term major on - ROI is the best method it may have been the "flagship" but there are more profitable lines out there - it will make a mid sized dent, but nothing like you are claiming. have seen reports of around 93 Million ATT wireless subscribers of which less then 5 million was iphone

Message 5 of 29
Professor

Rgardless of how many were actaully sold, it was still solely available only on ATT and was pushed to the forefront over other handsets for awhile.  But thanks for the statistics...

Anyone have an idea what the next 'flagship' phone will be for ATT now that the Iphone is available on verizon? Curious to see what ATT will be rolling out that would make customers want to 'jump  ship' and purchase on ATT?  I have my eyes on the HTC Inspire (wish it had physical keyboard).  Got an upgrade  soon and wanting to holdout to see what might be coming down the pike. 

Message 6 of 29
Scholar

The only other smartphone ATT carries that is worth considering is the BB Torch.   Verizon does not seem interested in promoting BB, so maybe ATT will get into the corporate BB camp.

The hyped 4G phonesa that are coming sound good; but ATT is last in line for rolling out 4G, so they will not be of any early prominence.

ATT has fallen asleep with the iphone.   Now they are waking up to a challenging 2011.

Message 7 of 29
Professor

cwrig wrote:

The only other smartphone ATT carries that is worth considering is the BB Torch.   Verizon does not seem interested in promoting BB, so maybe ATT will get into the corporate BB camp.

The hyped 4G phonesa that are coming sound good; but ATT is last in line for rolling out 4G, so they will not be of any early prominence.

ATT has fallen asleep with the iphone.   Now they are waking up to a challenging 2011.

Yep I hope 'they have something coming out in 4G that will spike the interest. The ole trusty Tilt2 is seeing its better days.  Just waiting to see whats available that will have similar but better features.  I hope that, with ATT being last rolling out 4g, they are waiting to see what other carriers puttting out  and  coming out with something thats going to make all this time worthwhile.

Message 8 of 29
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

But you have to admit that at&t was pushing the iphone.  The reason was the exclusive contract.  Make it the phone everyone wants and at&t was the only place to get it.  Now that the iphone is available on Verizon, I doubt at&t will push it.  In fact, they will probably start discouraging it since the profits are better on other phones.  Apple negotiated a contract with at&t that gave at&t the iphone in exchange for Apple getting a lot more subsidies.  I doubt you will go into an at&t store next month and see a large Apple Iphone area with the big screens, ect. like they have now.  At&t will still carry the iphone, but I expect it to have the same treatment as any other smartphone.

Message 9 of 29
Professor

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right?

But you have to admit that at&t was pushing the iphone.  The reason was the exclusive contract.  Make it the phone everyone wants and at&t was the only place to get it.  Now that the iphone is available on Verizon, I doubt at&t will push it.  In fact, they will probably start discouraging it since the profits are better on other phones.  Apple negotiated a contract with at&t that gave at&t the iphone in exchange for Apple getting a lot more subsidies.  I doubt you will go into an at&t store next month and see a large Apple Iphone area with the big screens, ect. like they have now.  At&t will still carry the iphone, but I expect it to have the same treatment as any other smartphone.

ayyemen, bro Fred, ayyemen Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 29
Expert

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

don't see why they would not - while it is all well and good that a limited version of the iphone will be going to verizon - there is a larg eportion of what the iphone can do that will not work on the verizon CDMA network. The simple fact that voice and data cannot coexist at the same time is going to be a large drawback to the verizon iphone - things like using your iphone as a turn by turn navigator wheil in a car and recieving a voice call that shutdwon the gps feed, streaming a movie from hulu or netflix and a call comes in that cancels the movie feed, none of this is possible on the verizon cdma network.

Again not having advertisment is an opinion, I suspect that you will see business as usual AND an increase in advertisement - specificly pointing out the superiour capablities of voice and data at the same time.

The simple fact that I cannot do voice and data on the verizon or sprint smartphone that I carry on a business trip is one of the biggest complaints I have about their service, makes it hard to do a business call with a requirement of realtime data verification during the call

Message 11 of 29
Scholar

Loosing voice and data simultaneously is definitely an issue.  But I think it is not as big a deal as being publicized.  If you are in WIFI; it is not as problem at all.  If not:

Google NAV for example caches the entire route when the route is requested.  The location comes from the gps satellites, not the data network.  So a call coming in during a nav session will have no impact unless you go off route and the route has to recalculate during your call.   And how would you watch a movie and talk on the phone at the same time?  You would pause the movie anyway.     Checking a website while on the phone is a problem; but it doesnt happen often enough to the avg user be a showstopper; or even a minor issue.

What is a major issue is ATT's poor 3G coverage and high rate of dropped calls..

Message 12 of 29
Expert

cwrig wrote:

Loosing voice and data simultaneously is definitely an issue.  But I think it is not as big a deal as being publicized.  If you are in WIFI; it is not as problem at all.  If not:

Google NAV for example caches the entire route when the route is requested.  The location comes from the gps satellites, not the data network.  So a call coming in during a nav session will have no impact unless you go off route and the route has to recalculate during your call.   And how would you watch a movie and talk on the phone at the same time?  You would pause the movie anyway.     Checking a website while on the phone is a problem; but it doesnt happen often enough to the avg user be a showstopper; or even a minor issue.

What is a major issue is ATT's poor 3G coverage and high rate of dropped calls..

you forgot about autochecking emails - that utilizes data. Funny thing on dropping calls - I carry all 3 major provider's phones for business - call drop rate is about the same depending on the location

Message 13 of 29
Professor

Wingrider, you are right.  Theres pros and cons with all carriers.  Definitely interesting though when ad-wars start up and we see how each carrier fight it out. Like Tmo claiming to be the nations largest 4g network (with their one 4g handset..[im being sarcastic]) But their claim may  be true until ATT start rolling some 4G phones  out..  One carrrier may be "king of the hill" for a time unitl another overtakes the spot with something we really like and want.   I actually like ATT and am hoping to find a decent phone to replace these two lines i have (both Tilt 2's).  They served well but have long sense seen their "Wonder Years"...

Message 14 of 29
Scholar

Another way to look at the impact of having an iphone, at least prior to Verizon gaining ground.

Just think how iphone apps have completely embedded themselves into the tech and commercial world. Everyone seems to have one, and up to now, you had to have an iphone on ATT to use them (though a small number could have been on t-mobile as well).

I have a feeling ATT wanted to make the WM7 line their flagship, but haven't heard a whole lot from that line since the initial phones came out (to a bit less than overall enthusiasm). 

I really doubt ANY android phone will be their flagship, at least when you consider how they've pretty much cr*&&ed over the whole lineup this far. 

Message 15 of 29
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?
Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

AT&T Locker is being discontinued on August 3rd. Find out what you need to do.

Additional Support