Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 13, 2011
3:56:04 AM
View profile
What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

Now that Verizon has the Iphone and it's not really AT&T's flagship phone, what will ATT now promote or roll out as a customer grabber?  Each carrier has that top-of-the-line phone that would make customers from even other services want to jump ship to get.  AT&T, whats it gonna be?

Now that Verizon has the Iphone and it's not really AT&T's flagship phone, what will ATT now promote or roll out as a customer grabber?  Each carrier has that top-of-the-line phone that would make customers from even other services want to jump ship to get.  AT&T, whats it gonna be?

Me and My DELL Streak (TED-III)

What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

28 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(28)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 7:01:11 AM
(0)
Professor

For now, probably the Galaxy S.  But I doubt you will see a big push for it.  The next really big phone will probably be one of the new high end 4G android phones.  Even though 4G isn't available on at&t yet.

For now, probably the Galaxy S.  But I doubt you will see a big push for it.  The next really big phone will probably be one of the new high end 4G android phones.  Even though 4G isn't available on at&t yet.

Re: What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

2 of 29 (1,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 9:44:46 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:45:48 AM

RicoLX wrote:

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right? From other threads on this forum it appears that the true number of people "flocking away from ATT" is a lot smaller then what was thought

RicoLX wrote:

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right? From other threads on this forum it appears that the true number of people "flocking away from ATT" is a lot smaller then what was thought

[ Edited ]
3 of 29 (1,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 10:03:23 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

The Iphone was a flagship phone for ATT since its release , not a minor deal at all.  It was this phone that people were 'flocking away from their carriers' and signing onto ATT so that they can get their hands on the Iphone and not the other way around like you staetd above.    I never said ATT lost a flock of customers .  My question is:" NOW that the Iphone is no longer solely vailable at ATT and no one will be 'flocking away' from their carriers over to att to get their hands on it,   what will be ATT's latest and greatest phone that would be so good and a must-have , that people would want to "jump ship" to get their hands on it..

and there is no doubt the iphone was not a 'minor' phone on th att market... it was major., sorry.

wingrider01 wrote:

The Iphone was a flagship phone for ATT since its release , not a minor deal at all.  It was this phone that people were 'flocking away from their carriers' and signing onto ATT so that they can get their hands on the Iphone and not the other way around like you staetd above.    I never said ATT lost a flock of customers .  My question is:" NOW that the Iphone is no longer solely vailable at ATT and no one will be 'flocking away' from their carriers over to att to get their hands on it,   what will be ATT's latest and greatest phone that would be so good and a must-have , that people would want to "jump ship" to get their hands on it..

and there is no doubt the iphone was not a 'minor' phone on th att market... it was major., sorry.

4 of 29 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 10:53:43 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:55:54 AM

RicoLX wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

deoends on what you base the term major on - ROI is the best method it may have been the "flagship" but there are more profitable lines out there - it will make a mid sized dent, but nothing like you are claiming. have seen reports of around 93 Million ATT wireless subscribers of which less then 5 million was iphone

RicoLX wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

deoends on what you base the term major on - ROI is the best method it may have been the "flagship" but there are more profitable lines out there - it will make a mid sized dent, but nothing like you are claiming. have seen reports of around 93 Million ATT wireless subscribers of which less then 5 million was iphone

[ Edited ]
5 of 29 (1,143 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 11:39:33 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:43:11 AM

Rgardless of how many were actaully sold, it was still solely available only on ATT and was pushed to the forefront over other handsets for awhile.  But thanks for the statistics...

Anyone have an idea what the next 'flagship' phone will be for ATT now that the Iphone is available on verizon? Curious to see what ATT will be rolling out that would make customers want to 'jump  ship' and purchase on ATT?  I have my eyes on the HTC Inspire (wish it had physical keyboard).  Got an upgrade  soon and wanting to holdout to see what might be coming down the pike. 

Rgardless of how many were actaully sold, it was still solely available only on ATT and was pushed to the forefront over other handsets for awhile.  But thanks for the statistics...

Anyone have an idea what the next 'flagship' phone will be for ATT now that the Iphone is available on verizon? Curious to see what ATT will be rolling out that would make customers want to 'jump  ship' and purchase on ATT?  I have my eyes on the HTC Inspire (wish it had physical keyboard).  Got an upgrade  soon and wanting to holdout to see what might be coming down the pike. 

[ Edited ]
6 of 29 (1,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2011 8:19:18 PM
(0)
Scholar

The only other smartphone ATT carries that is worth considering is the BB Torch.   Verizon does not seem interested in promoting BB, so maybe ATT will get into the corporate BB camp.

The hyped 4G phonesa that are coming sound good; but ATT is last in line for rolling out 4G, so they will not be of any early prominence.

ATT has fallen asleep with the iphone.   Now they are waking up to a challenging 2011.

The only other smartphone ATT carries that is worth considering is the BB Torch.   Verizon does not seem interested in promoting BB, so maybe ATT will get into the corporate BB camp.

The hyped 4G phonesa that are coming sound good; but ATT is last in line for rolling out 4G, so they will not be of any early prominence.

ATT has fallen asleep with the iphone.   Now they are waking up to a challenging 2011.

7 of 29 (1,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 2:52:07 AM
(0)
Professor

cwrig wrote:

Yep I hope 'they have something coming out in 4G that will spike the interest. The ole trusty Tilt2 is seeing its better days.  Just waiting to see whats available that will have similar but better features.  I hope that, with ATT being last rolling out 4g, they are waiting to see what other carriers puttting out  and  coming out with something thats going to make all this time worthwhile.

cwrig wrote:

Yep I hope 'they have something coming out in 4G that will spike the interest. The ole trusty Tilt2 is seeing its better days.  Just waiting to see whats available that will have similar but better features.  I hope that, with ATT being last rolling out 4g, they are waiting to see what other carriers puttting out  and  coming out with something thats going to make all this time worthwhile.

8 of 29 (1,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 7:51:03 AM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

But you have to admit that at&t was pushing the iphone.  The reason was the exclusive contract.  Make it the phone everyone wants and at&t was the only place to get it.  Now that the iphone is available on Verizon, I doubt at&t will push it.  In fact, they will probably start discouraging it since the profits are better on other phones.  Apple negotiated a contract with at&t that gave at&t the iphone in exchange for Apple getting a lot more subsidies.  I doubt you will go into an at&t store next month and see a large Apple Iphone area with the big screens, ect. like they have now.  At&t will still carry the iphone, but I expect it to have the same treatment as any other smartphone.

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

But you have to admit that at&t was pushing the iphone.  The reason was the exclusive contract.  Make it the phone everyone wants and at&t was the only place to get it.  Now that the iphone is available on Verizon, I doubt at&t will push it.  In fact, they will probably start discouraging it since the profits are better on other phones.  Apple negotiated a contract with at&t that gave at&t the iphone in exchange for Apple getting a lot more subsidies.  I doubt you will go into an at&t store next month and see a large Apple Iphone area with the big screens, ect. like they have now.  At&t will still carry the iphone, but I expect it to have the same treatment as any other smartphone.

9 of 29 (1,070 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 8:17:06 AM
(0)
Professor

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right?

ayyemen, bro Fred, ayyemen Smiley Wink

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

you do realize that the iphone is a very minor portion of their entire cell phone business right?

ayyemen, bro Fred, ayyemen Smiley Wink

10 of 29 (1,060 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:19:54 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 14, 2011 at 9:22:20 AM

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

don't see why they would not - while it is all well and good that a limited version of the iphone will be going to verizon - there is a larg eportion of what the iphone can do that will not work on the verizon CDMA network. The simple fact that voice and data cannot coexist at the same time is going to be a large drawback to the verizon iphone - things like using your iphone as a turn by turn navigator wheil in a car and recieving a voice call that shutdwon the gps feed, streaming a movie from hulu or netflix and a call comes in that cancels the movie feed, none of this is possible on the verizon cdma network.

Again not having advertisment is an opinion, I suspect that you will see business as usual AND an increase in advertisement - specificly pointing out the superiour capablities of voice and data at the same time.

The simple fact that I cannot do voice and data on the verizon or sprint smartphone that I carry on a business trip is one of the biggest complaints I have about their service, makes it hard to do a business call with a requirement of realtime data verification during the call

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

RicoLX wrote:

don't see why they would not - while it is all well and good that a limited version of the iphone will be going to verizon - there is a larg eportion of what the iphone can do that will not work on the verizon CDMA network. The simple fact that voice and data cannot coexist at the same time is going to be a large drawback to the verizon iphone - things like using your iphone as a turn by turn navigator wheil in a car and recieving a voice call that shutdwon the gps feed, streaming a movie from hulu or netflix and a call comes in that cancels the movie feed, none of this is possible on the verizon cdma network.

Again not having advertisment is an opinion, I suspect that you will see business as usual AND an increase in advertisement - specificly pointing out the superiour capablities of voice and data at the same time.

The simple fact that I cannot do voice and data on the verizon or sprint smartphone that I carry on a business trip is one of the biggest complaints I have about their service, makes it hard to do a business call with a requirement of realtime data verification during the call

[ Edited ]
11 of 29 (1,032 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 10:21:12 AM
(0)
Scholar

Loosing voice and data simultaneously is definitely an issue.  But I think it is not as big a deal as being publicized.  If you are in WIFI; it is not as problem at all.  If not:

Google NAV for example caches the entire route when the route is requested.  The location comes from the gps satellites, not the data network.  So a call coming in during a nav session will have no impact unless you go off route and the route has to recalculate during your call.   And how would you watch a movie and talk on the phone at the same time?  You would pause the movie anyway.     Checking a website while on the phone is a problem; but it doesnt happen often enough to the avg user be a showstopper; or even a minor issue.

What is a major issue is ATT's poor 3G coverage and high rate of dropped calls..

Loosing voice and data simultaneously is definitely an issue.  But I think it is not as big a deal as being publicized.  If you are in WIFI; it is not as problem at all.  If not:

Google NAV for example caches the entire route when the route is requested.  The location comes from the gps satellites, not the data network.  So a call coming in during a nav session will have no impact unless you go off route and the route has to recalculate during your call.   And how would you watch a movie and talk on the phone at the same time?  You would pause the movie anyway.     Checking a website while on the phone is a problem; but it doesnt happen often enough to the avg user be a showstopper; or even a minor issue.

What is a major issue is ATT's poor 3G coverage and high rate of dropped calls..

12 of 29 (1,021 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 12:39:59 PM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:41:24 PM

cwrig wrote:

you forgot about autochecking emails - that utilizes data. Funny thing on dropping calls - I carry all 3 major provider's phones for business - call drop rate is about the same depending on the location

cwrig wrote:

you forgot about autochecking emails - that utilizes data. Funny thing on dropping calls - I carry all 3 major provider's phones for business - call drop rate is about the same depending on the location

[ Edited ]
13 of 29 (1,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 3:44:11 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by RicoLX on Jan 14, 2011 at 3:47:38 PM

Wingrider, you are right.  Theres pros and cons with all carriers.  Definitely interesting though when ad-wars start up and we see how each carrier fight it out. Like Tmo claiming to be the nations largest 4g network (with their one 4g handset..[im being sarcastic]) But their claim may  be true until ATT start rolling some 4G phones  out..  One carrrier may be "king of the hill" for a time unitl another overtakes the spot with something we really like and want.   I actually like ATT and am hoping to find a decent phone to replace these two lines i have (both Tilt 2's).  They served well but have long sense seen their "Wonder Years"...

Wingrider, you are right.  Theres pros and cons with all carriers.  Definitely interesting though when ad-wars start up and we see how each carrier fight it out. Like Tmo claiming to be the nations largest 4g network (with their one 4g handset..[im being sarcastic]) But their claim may  be true until ATT start rolling some 4G phones  out..  One carrrier may be "king of the hill" for a time unitl another overtakes the spot with something we really like and want.   I actually like ATT and am hoping to find a decent phone to replace these two lines i have (both Tilt 2's).  They served well but have long sense seen their "Wonder Years"...

[ Edited ]
14 of 29 (990 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 14, 2011 9:56:19 PM
(0)
Scholar

Another way to look at the impact of having an iphone, at least prior to Verizon gaining ground.

Just think how iphone apps have completely embedded themselves into the tech and commercial world. Everyone seems to have one, and up to now, you had to have an iphone on ATT to use them (though a small number could have been on t-mobile as well).

I have a feeling ATT wanted to make the WM7 line their flagship, but haven't heard a whole lot from that line since the initial phones came out (to a bit less than overall enthusiasm). 

I really doubt ANY android phone will be their flagship, at least when you consider how they've pretty much cr*&&ed over the whole lineup this far. 

Another way to look at the impact of having an iphone, at least prior to Verizon gaining ground.

Just think how iphone apps have completely embedded themselves into the tech and commercial world. Everyone seems to have one, and up to now, you had to have an iphone on ATT to use them (though a small number could have been on t-mobile as well).

I have a feeling ATT wanted to make the WM7 line their flagship, but haven't heard a whole lot from that line since the initial phones came out (to a bit less than overall enthusiasm). 

I really doubt ANY android phone will be their flagship, at least when you consider how they've pretty much cr*&&ed over the whole lineup this far. 

15 of 29 (967 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 4:22:45 AM
(0)
Teacher

My opinion. Who ever gets the rights to carry the new playstation phone with the android 3.0 will be the golden child.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

My opinion. Who ever gets the rights to carry the new playstation phone with the android 3.0 will be the golden child.

Re: What Will Be AT&It's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

16 of 29 (956 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 10:22:09 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

cwrig wrote:

I tend to agree and have always felt at&t's "plug" for the simultaneous use of voice and data is of negligible value at best.  (But for a business user, maybe it does become a more important feature.)  Until very recently, I've only had 2G devices and my data service is never dropped when I receive a phone call - it suspends and then the data activity simply resumes when I end the phone call.  I don't use a headset, so I wouldn't very well be able to talk on the phone and use data at the same time anyway - at least without putting the phone on "loud speaker" mode and shouting into it.  lol.

And interestingly enough - as an aside, even though I've recently gotten my first 3G phone (SE W518a), data service is actually slightly faster on my old 2G phone (SE W580i) in a side by side comparison made last weekend after getting a brand new SIM to replace my original 5+ year old one (because I felt my data service wasn't really any faster on the new 3G device). Smiley Sad 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

cwrig wrote:

I tend to agree and have always felt at&t's "plug" for the simultaneous use of voice and data is of negligible value at best.  (But for a business user, maybe it does become a more important feature.)  Until very recently, I've only had 2G devices and my data service is never dropped when I receive a phone call - it suspends and then the data activity simply resumes when I end the phone call.  I don't use a headset, so I wouldn't very well be able to talk on the phone and use data at the same time anyway - at least without putting the phone on "loud speaker" mode and shouting into it.  lol.

And interestingly enough - as an aside, even though I've recently gotten my first 3G phone (SE W518a), data service is actually slightly faster on my old 2G phone (SE W580i) in a side by side comparison made last weekend after getting a brand new SIM to replace my original 5+ year old one (because I felt my data service wasn't really any faster on the new 3G device). Smiley Sad 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

17 of 29 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2011 11:01:06 AM
(0)
Master

As a counterpoint, I wouldn't move to Verizon UNLESS they had implemented VoRA and I could use simultaneous voice & data.  I really like being able to use SV&D, being able to look at my email or check for movie times or dinner reservations while I'm on the phone with someone and not in the range of wi-fi (and let's be truthful, wi-fi is not as all-encompassing as some people make it out to be, even in major urban areas).  And I almost always use a headset.

I don't know anything about Google NAV on the iPhone caching routes for "offline" use.  That may be an Android-specific feature.

hme83 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

As a counterpoint, I wouldn't move to Verizon UNLESS they had implemented VoRA and I could use simultaneous voice & data.  I really like being able to use SV&D, being able to look at my email or check for movie times or dinner reservations while I'm on the phone with someone and not in the range of wi-fi (and let's be truthful, wi-fi is not as all-encompassing as some people make it out to be, even in major urban areas).  And I almost always use a headset.

I don't know anything about Google NAV on the iPhone caching routes for "offline" use.  That may be an Android-specific feature.

hme83 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

18 of 29 (920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 16, 2011 8:16:19 AM
(0)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

As a counterpoint, I wouldn't move to Verizon UNLESS they had implemented VoRA and I could use simultaneous voice & data.  I really like being able to use SV&D, being able to look at my email or check for movie times or dinner reservations while I'm on the phone with someone 

I have to admit, i like to check email, load and browse web pages while i am on a conference call (if i am using my phone for the call, which is most of the time).  Sometimes, im on mute while the meeting goes on for an hour or so and the mentioned feature does come in handy then, thats for sure.   Didnt know Verizon and others really don't have that capability.  Hmm, guess theres pros and cons with each carrier.   Well, ive been an ATT fan for years and will be.

BrianfromNO wrote:

As a counterpoint, I wouldn't move to Verizon UNLESS they had implemented VoRA and I could use simultaneous voice & data.  I really like being able to use SV&D, being able to look at my email or check for movie times or dinner reservations while I'm on the phone with someone 

I have to admit, i like to check email, load and browse web pages while i am on a conference call (if i am using my phone for the call, which is most of the time).  Sometimes, im on mute while the meeting goes on for an hour or so and the mentioned feature does come in handy then, thats for sure.   Didnt know Verizon and others really don't have that capability.  Hmm, guess theres pros and cons with each carrier.   Well, ive been an ATT fan for years and will be.

19 of 29 (893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 21, 2011 9:55:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The new 4G devices are BOUND to be a hit. YouTube videos and comments suggest that all three are currently "better than the iPhone 4" and users are wishing they would have waited to use their upgrade instead of taking the iPhone. I, myself, am liking the HTC Inspire 4G. It is very cool, and mighty powerful. The one thing I don't like about it is the back cover, though - it's kind of weird. The battery slides in a weird slot, too... The Samsung Infuse also looks cool, but a bit TOO large for my liking... Maybe if it was a little smaller, I'd highly consider it. It looks like the Captivate is fading from my choices nearer and nearer every day, but I'm not going down without a fight. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

The new 4G devices are BOUND to be a hit. YouTube videos and comments suggest that all three are currently "better than the iPhone 4" and users are wishing they would have waited to use their upgrade instead of taking the iPhone. I, myself, am liking the HTC Inspire 4G. It is very cool, and mighty powerful. The one thing I don't like about it is the back cover, though - it's kind of weird. The battery slides in a weird slot, too... The Samsung Infuse also looks cool, but a bit TOO large for my liking... Maybe if it was a little smaller, I'd highly consider it. It looks like the Captivate is fading from my choices nearer and nearer every day, but I'm not going down without a fight. Smiley Wink

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

20 of 29 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 1:58:23 PM
(0)
Professor

diagoro wrote:

At one time, at&t was big on Windows Mobile.  But the Windows Mobile market has been on the decline for several years.  Microsoft botched WM 7, so WM 6.5 was used in a few phones, and it was just a slower WM 6.  Apple had already started winning over the mobile OS market, and then Android started an all out invasion.  I think WM7 is probably going to be too little, too late for Microsoft to regain the market share they had.  Not that it won't be around, but I don't think it will be a large percentage of phones.

At&t will definitely use a 4G phone for the next big flagship.  And currently, the only 4G phones are android phones.

diagoro wrote:

At one time, at&t was big on Windows Mobile.  But the Windows Mobile market has been on the decline for several years.  Microsoft botched WM 7, so WM 6.5 was used in a few phones, and it was just a slower WM 6.  Apple had already started winning over the mobile OS market, and then Android started an all out invasion.  I think WM7 is probably going to be too little, too late for Microsoft to regain the market share they had.  Not that it won't be around, but I don't think it will be a large percentage of phones.

At&t will definitely use a 4G phone for the next big flagship.  And currently, the only 4G phones are android phones.

21 of 29 (589 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 4:43:53 PM
(0)
Expert

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

really? they "botched WM 7"? got some proof or it is an opinion?? For brand new OS 2 million sold in the first 2 months is not to shabby, not up to Iphone levels, but not to shabby. Android isnot the end all, it has a lot of flaws, even though vehment supportses will not see them.

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

really? they "botched WM 7"? got some proof or it is an opinion?? For brand new OS 2 million sold in the first 2 months is not to shabby, not up to Iphone levels, but not to shabby. Android isnot the end all, it has a lot of flaws, even though vehment supportses will not see them.

22 of 29 (583 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 27, 2011 6:07:38 PM
(0)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

WM 7 was scheduled to ship in 2009 (as I recall, early 2009).  If it had, Android would not have established it's market.  As it turned out, it didn't hit the US market until almost 2011, after Android is well established.  WM 7 is not compatible with previous WM software, so software needs to be written for it, whereas Android, Apple and Blackberry already have good software catalogs.  

When I said Microsoft botched it, I meant they seriously hurt thier OS by not being able to deliver on schedule.  If they had, they would have had a much more receptive market.  For a long awaited OS to finish behind Apple, Android, and Blackberry, I would still find 2 million units a little disappointing.   

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

WM 7 was scheduled to ship in 2009 (as I recall, early 2009).  If it had, Android would not have established it's market.  As it turned out, it didn't hit the US market until almost 2011, after Android is well established.  WM 7 is not compatible with previous WM software, so software needs to be written for it, whereas Android, Apple and Blackberry already have good software catalogs.  

When I said Microsoft botched it, I meant they seriously hurt thier OS by not being able to deliver on schedule.  If they had, they would have had a much more receptive market.  For a long awaited OS to finish behind Apple, Android, and Blackberry, I would still find 2 million units a little disappointing.   

23 of 29 (575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 3:27:27 AM
(0)
Expert

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

As of August 2009 MS had never publicly stated what the release date for Windows 7 mobile was, a "leaked" PowerPoint showed release of WM7 in Novemebr of 2009 with devices released to the consumer in April of 2010. Actual device release was November 2010 - as someone that deals in complex vertical market software, this is not a "botch". Unless you are privey to other details regarding the "botched" software release it is just an opinion.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/what-derailed-the-windows-mobile-7-train/3765

As far as "apps" for the devices, neither apple, blackbery nor the vaulted android phones had a plethora of apps in the first 3 months of the OS's release. As of Dec 16, 2010 - just over 30 days after the US release of the phone ot the public the windows 7 mobile had 4,000 apps - not a bad average for something that is only 35 or so days old.

http://www.cellfanatic.com/2010/12/16/over-4k-windows-phone-7-apps-and-counting/

Seems like the experts in the field are disagreeing with your opinion that the WM 7 was botched

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/windows-phone-7-after-two-months-impressive-sales-and-marketpl...

While the other 3 platforms may have more apps, it really depends on what you consider apps - have seen some of them on the other platforms that a drunk monkey could have designed and written in a day.

Overall the Winodws Mobile 7 shows that there was no "botched" about it, later this year Sprint and Verizon will be releasing their devices also - although they will not be as flexible as the Window Mobile 7 devices that are on the ATT network, given the technology flaw of CDMA voice/data shortcomes.

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

As of August 2009 MS had never publicly stated what the release date for Windows 7 mobile was, a "leaked" PowerPoint showed release of WM7 in Novemebr of 2009 with devices released to the consumer in April of 2010. Actual device release was November 2010 - as someone that deals in complex vertical market software, this is not a "botch". Unless you are privey to other details regarding the "botched" software release it is just an opinion.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/what-derailed-the-windows-mobile-7-train/3765

As far as "apps" for the devices, neither apple, blackbery nor the vaulted android phones had a plethora of apps in the first 3 months of the OS's release. As of Dec 16, 2010 - just over 30 days after the US release of the phone ot the public the windows 7 mobile had 4,000 apps - not a bad average for something that is only 35 or so days old.

http://www.cellfanatic.com/2010/12/16/over-4k-windows-phone-7-apps-and-counting/

Seems like the experts in the field are disagreeing with your opinion that the WM 7 was botched

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/windows-phone-7-after-two-months-impressive-sales-and-marketplace-apps/5156

While the other 3 platforms may have more apps, it really depends on what you consider apps - have seen some of them on the other platforms that a drunk monkey could have designed and written in a day.

Overall the Winodws Mobile 7 shows that there was no "botched" about it, later this year Sprint and Verizon will be releasing their devices also - although they will not be as flexible as the Window Mobile 7 devices that are on the ATT network, given the technology flaw of CDMA voice/data shortcomes.

24 of 29 (555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 6:13:19 AM
(0)
Professor

Microsoft informed partners of a delay in WM 7 in September of 2008.  Granted, there was not a release date, but you really don't expect beta testing for 3 years.

http://news.cnet.com/windows-mobile-7-release-delayed/

I asm not saying Microsoft isn't catching up to Apple and Android, but they are playing a cath up game.

And the reviewers are giving it good, but great reviews, like the final thoughts here:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20010916-85.html .  Not saying it is a bad operating system, but that it still needs a little work too.

Microsoft informed partners of a delay in WM 7 in September of 2008.  Granted, there was not a release date, but you really don't expect beta testing for 3 years.

I asm not saying Microsoft isn't catching up to Apple and Android, but they are playing a cath up game.

And the reviewers are giving it good, but great reviews, like the final thoughts here:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20010916-85.html .  Not saying it is a bad operating system, but that it still needs a little work too.

25 of 29 (542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 7:42:13 AM
(0)
Scholar

2 Million is a funny number when it's reported by Microsoft. As noted in THIS Engadget post Microsoft states licenses sold to OEMs, not phones bought/activated.

2 Million is a funny number when it's reported by Microsoft. As noted in THIS Engadget post Microsoft states licenses sold to OEMs, not phones bought/activated.

26 of 29 (535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 7:46:28 AM
(0)
Professor

das8nt wrote:

Correct. The 2 million is devices sold to providers. I haven't seen any figures as to what percentage of this stock has been sold to end consumers.

das8nt wrote:

Correct. The 2 million is devices sold to providers. I haven't seen any figures as to what percentage of this stock has been sold to end consumers.

27 of 29 (529 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 28, 2011 9:20:21 AM
(0)
Expert

FredW wrote:

Never did work on any major project have you? Havd seen major projects in alpha and beta test for over 4 years. Have seen "mature" software that people still find bugs and faults with - even after it being out for numerous years. You really think android or the apple IOS was perfect on it's first release? The main thing I see in your link are minor complaints, the copy and paste has already been addressed and will be corrected in the first PTF that MS releases for Windows 7 mobile this year. Android still hasn't gotten some business security issues corrected, even with the eventual 2.2/2.3 release of the OS for the phones.

If you believe that there is ANY software product or OS that does not "need a little work", then I have a nice piece of land down in florida I will sell you - it is dry in most places and you can rent the aligators out for extra income. I know of software that has been out for 11 years and there are still errors cropping up in them

Sorry but Apple IOS and Android still have a multitude of issue that exist in the current drop, android 2.2 is the first version that a security centric organization should think about allowing on their exchange server without a 3rd party add in - and there are still issues with 2.2 that we handle on a individual basis. Apple IOS still have issues and they are much more "mature" then windows 7 mobile let alone android

FredW wrote:

Never did work on any major project have you? Havd seen major projects in alpha and beta test for over 4 years. Have seen "mature" software that people still find bugs and faults with - even after it being out for numerous years. You really think android or the apple IOS was perfect on it's first release? The main thing I see in your link are minor complaints, the copy and paste has already been addressed and will be corrected in the first PTF that MS releases for Windows 7 mobile this year. Android still hasn't gotten some business security issues corrected, even with the eventual 2.2/2.3 release of the OS for the phones.

If you believe that there is ANY software product or OS that does not "need a little work", then I have a nice piece of land down in florida I will sell you - it is dry in most places and you can rent the aligators out for extra income. I know of software that has been out for 11 years and there are still errors cropping up in them

Sorry but Apple IOS and Android still have a multitude of issue that exist in the current drop, android 2.2 is the first version that a security centric organization should think about allowing on their exchange server without a 3rd party add in - and there are still issues with 2.2 that we handle on a individual basis. Apple IOS still have issues and they are much more "mature" then windows 7 mobile let alone android

28 of 29 (524 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2011 6:26:19 AM
(0)
Professor

True, both still need tweaking - but they don't have to make up for losing 2/3 of thier market share.  The delay caused them to go from a 23% market share (and increasing) to an 8% market share (and declining, until WM7).

I think I probably represent the problem well.  The last time I upgraded, I looked at the available phones.  I was on my 3rd WM phone (a Tilt 2), and the operating system was no where close to what the other phones offered.  So I changed operating systems.  Now, Microsoft is not having to retain a customet, it is has to draw a new customer.  Conventional theory in marketing  is that it typically costs 3 times as much to get a new customer as to retain an existing one.  Had WM 7 been out, and I was using a WM device, I would have been more likely to buy WM.  Now Microsoft will have to convince me to switch back.  

True, both still need tweaking - but they don't have to make up for losing 2/3 of thier market share.  The delay caused them to go from a 23% market share (and increasing) to an 8% market share (and declining, until WM7).

I think I probably represent the problem well.  The last time I upgraded, I looked at the available phones.  I was on my 3rd WM phone (a Tilt 2), and the operating system was no where close to what the other phones offered.  So I changed operating systems.  Now, Microsoft is not having to retain a customet, it is has to draw a new customer.  Conventional theory in marketing  is that it typically costs 3 times as much to get a new customer as to retain an existing one.  Had WM 7 been out, and I was using a WM device, I would have been more likely to buy WM.  Now Microsoft will have to convince me to switch back.  

29 of 29 (454 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments