What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

Professor

What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

Now that Verizon has the Iphone and it's not really AT&T's flagship phone, what will ATT now promote or roll out as a customer grabber?  Each carrier has that top-of-the-line phone that would make customers from even other services want to jump ship to get.  AT&T, whats it gonna be?

Message 1 of 29 (1,625 Views)
Teacher

Re: What Will Be AT&It's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

My opinion. Who ever gets the rights to carry the new playstation phone with the android 3.0 will be the golden child.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 16 of 29 (1,335 Views)
Master

Re: What Will Be AT&T's Next CashCow (since Verizon got iphone)?

cwrig wrote:

Loosing voice and data simultaneously is definitely an issue.  But I think it is not as big a deal as being publicized.  If you are in WIFI; it is not as problem at all.  If not:

Google NAV for example caches the entire route when the route is requested.  The location comes from the gps satellites, not the data network.  So a call coming in during a nav session will have no impact unless you go off route and the route has to recalculate during your call.   And how would you watch a movie and talk on the phone at the same time?  You would pause the movie anyway.     Checking a website while on the phone is a problem; but it doesnt happen often enough to the avg user be a showstopper; or even a minor issue.

What is a major issue is ATT's poor 3G coverage and high rate of dropped calls..

I tend to agree and have always felt at&t's "plug" for the simultaneous use of voice and data is of negligible value at best.  (But for a business user, maybe it does become a more important feature.)  Until very recently, I've only had 2G devices and my data service is never dropped when I receive a phone call - it suspends and then the data activity simply resumes when I end the phone call.  I don't use a headset, so I wouldn't very well be able to talk on the phone and use data at the same time anyway - at least without putting the phone on "loud speaker" mode and shouting into it.  lol.

And interestingly enough - as an aside, even though I've recently gotten my first 3G phone (SE W518a), data service is actually slightly faster on my old 2G phone (SE W580i) in a side by side comparison made last weekend after getting a brand new SIM to replace my original 5+ year old one (because I felt my data service wasn't really any faster on the new 3G device). Smiley Sad 

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 17 of 29 (1,307 Views)
Master

As a counterpoint, I wouldn't move to Verizon UNLESS they had implemented VoRA and I could use simultaneous voice & data.  I really like being able to use SV&D, being able to look at my email or check for movie times or dinner reservations while I'm on the phone with someone and not in the range of wi-fi (and let's be truthful, wi-fi is not as all-encompassing as some people make it out to be, even in major urban areas).  And I almost always use a headset.

I don't know anything about Google NAV on the iPhone caching routes for "offline" use.  That may be an Android-specific feature.

hme83 wrote:

cwrig wrote:

Loosing voice and data simultaneously is definitely an issue.  But I think it is not as big a deal as being publicized.  If you are in WIFI; it is not as problem at all.  If not:

Google NAV for example caches the entire route when the route is requested.  The location comes from the gps satellites, not the data network.  So a call coming in during a nav session will have no impact unless you go off route and the route has to recalculate during your call.   And how would you watch a movie and talk on the phone at the same time?  You would pause the movie anyway.     Checking a website while on the phone is a problem; but it doesnt happen often enough to the avg user be a showstopper; or even a minor issue.

What is a major issue is ATT's poor 3G coverage and high rate of dropped calls..

I tend to agree and have always felt at&t's "plug" for the simultaneous use of voice and data is of negligible value at best.  (But for a business user, maybe it does become a more important feature.)  Until very recently, I've only had 2G devices and my data service is never dropped when I receive a phone call - it suspends and then the data activity simply resumes when I end the phone call.  I don't use a headset, so I wouldn't very well be able to talk on the phone and use data at the same time anyway - at least without putting the phone on "loud speaker" mode and shouting into it.  lol.

And interestingly enough - as an aside, even though I've recently gotten my first 3G phone (SE W518a), data service is actually slightly faster on my old 2G phone (SE W580i) in a side by side comparison made last weekend after getting a brand new SIM to replace my original 5+ year old one (because I felt my data service wasn't really any faster on the new 3G device). Smiley Sad 

Message 18 of 29 (1,299 Views)
Professor

BrianfromNO wrote:

As a counterpoint, I wouldn't move to Verizon UNLESS they had implemented VoRA and I could use simultaneous voice & data.  I really like being able to use SV&D, being able to look at my email or check for movie times or dinner reservations while I'm on the phone with someone 

I have to admit, i like to check email, load and browse web pages while i am on a conference call (if i am using my phone for the call, which is most of the time).  Sometimes, im on mute while the meeting goes on for an hour or so and the mentioned feature does come in handy then, thats for sure.   Didnt know Verizon and others really don't have that capability.  Hmm, guess theres pros and cons with each carrier.   Well, ive been an ATT fan for years and will be.
Message 19 of 29 (1,272 Views)
Master

The new 4G devices are BOUND to be a hit. YouTube videos and comments suggest that all three are currently "better than the iPhone 4" and users are wishing they would have waited to use their upgrade instead of taking the iPhone. I, myself, am liking the HTC Inspire 4G. It is very cool, and mighty powerful. The one thing I don't like about it is the back cover, though - it's kind of weird. The battery slides in a weird slot, too... The Samsung Infuse also looks cool, but a bit TOO large for my liking... Maybe if it was a little smaller, I'd highly consider it. It looks like the Captivate is fading from my choices nearer and nearer every day, but I'm not going down without a fight. Smiley Wink

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 20 of 29 (1,170 Views)
Professor

diagoro wrote:

Another way to look at the impact of having an iphone, at least prior to Verizon gaining ground.

Just think how iphone apps have completely embedded themselves into the tech and commercial world. Everyone seems to have one, and up to now, you had to have an iphone on ATT to use them (though a small number could have been on t-mobile as well).

I have a feeling ATT wanted to make the WM7 line their flagship, but haven't heard a whole lot from that line since the initial phones came out (to a bit less than overall enthusiasm). 

I really doubt ANY android phone will be their flagship, at least when you consider how they've pretty much cr*&&ed over the whole lineup this far. 

At one time, at&t was big on Windows Mobile.  But the Windows Mobile market has been on the decline for several years.  Microsoft botched WM 7, so WM 6.5 was used in a few phones, and it was just a slower WM 6.  Apple had already started winning over the mobile OS market, and then Android started an all out invasion.  I think WM7 is probably going to be too little, too late for Microsoft to regain the market share they had.  Not that it won't be around, but I don't think it will be a large percentage of phones.

At&t will definitely use a 4G phone for the next big flagship.  And currently, the only 4G phones are android phones.

Message 21 of 29 (968 Views)
Expert

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

Another way to look at the impact of having an iphone, at least prior to Verizon gaining ground.

Just think how iphone apps have completely embedded themselves into the tech and commercial world. Everyone seems to have one, and up to now, you had to have an iphone on ATT to use them (though a small number could have been on t-mobile as well).

I have a feeling ATT wanted to make the WM7 line their flagship, but haven't heard a whole lot from that line since the initial phones came out (to a bit less than overall enthusiasm). 

I really doubt ANY android phone will be their flagship, at least when you consider how they've pretty much cr*&&ed over the whole lineup this far. 

At one time, at&t was big on Windows Mobile.  But the Windows Mobile market has been on the decline for several years.  Microsoft botched WM 7, so WM 6.5 was used in a few phones, and it was just a slower WM 6.  Apple had already started winning over the mobile OS market, and then Android started an all out invasion.  I think WM7 is probably going to be too little, too late for Microsoft to regain the market share they had.  Not that it won't be around, but I don't think it will be a large percentage of phones.

At&t will definitely use a 4G phone for the next big flagship.  And currently, the only 4G phones are android phones.

really? they "botched WM 7"? got some proof or it is an opinion?? For brand new OS 2 million sold in the first 2 months is not to shabby, not up to Iphone levels, but not to shabby. Android isnot the end all, it has a lot of flaws, even though vehment supportses will not see them.

Message 22 of 29 (962 Views)
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

really? they "botched WM 7"? got some proof or it is an opinion?? For brand new OS 2 million sold in the first 2 months is not to shabby, not up to Iphone levels, but not to shabby. Android isnot the end all, it has a lot of flaws, even though vehment supportses will not see them.

WM 7 was scheduled to ship in 2009 (as I recall, early 2009).  If it had, Android would not have established it's market.  As it turned out, it didn't hit the US market until almost 2011, after Android is well established.  WM 7 is not compatible with previous WM software, so software needs to be written for it, whereas Android, Apple and Blackberry already have good software catalogs.  

When I said Microsoft botched it, I meant they seriously hurt thier OS by not being able to deliver on schedule.  If they had, they would have had a much more receptive market.  For a long awaited OS to finish behind Apple, Android, and Blackberry, I would still find 2 million units a little disappointing.   

Message 23 of 29 (954 Views)
Expert

FredW wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

FredW wrote:

diagoro wrote:

WM 7 was scheduled to ship in 2009 (as I recall, early 2009).  If it had, Android would not have established it's market.  As it turned out, it didn't hit the US market until almost 2011, after Android is well established.  WM 7 is not compatible with previous WM software, so software needs to be written for it, whereas Android, Apple and Blackberry already have good software catalogs.  

When I said Microsoft botched it, I meant they seriously hurt thier OS by not being able to deliver on schedule.  If they had, they would have had a much more receptive market.  For a long awaited OS to finish behind Apple, Android, and Blackberry, I would still find 2 million units a little disappointing.   

As of August 2009 MS had never publicly stated what the release date for Windows 7 mobile was, a "leaked" PowerPoint showed release of WM7 in Novemebr of 2009 with devices released to the consumer in April of 2010. Actual device release was November 2010 - as someone that deals in complex vertical market software, this is not a "botch". Unless you are privey to other details regarding the "botched" software release it is just an opinion.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/what-derailed-the-windows-mobile-7-train/3765

As far as "apps" for the devices, neither apple, blackbery nor the vaulted android phones had a plethora of apps in the first 3 months of the OS's release. As of Dec 16, 2010 - just over 30 days after the US release of the phone ot the public the windows 7 mobile had 4,000 apps - not a bad average for something that is only 35 or so days old.

http://www.cellfanatic.com/2010/12/16/over-4k-windows-phone-7-apps-and-counting/

Seems like the experts in the field are disagreeing with your opinion that the WM 7 was botched

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/windows-phone-7-after-two-months-impressive-sales-and-marketpl...

While the other 3 platforms may have more apps, it really depends on what you consider apps - have seen some of them on the other platforms that a drunk monkey could have designed and written in a day.

Overall the Winodws Mobile 7 shows that there was no "botched" about it, later this year Sprint and Verizon will be releasing their devices also - although they will not be as flexible as the Window Mobile 7 devices that are on the ATT network, given the technology flaw of CDMA voice/data shortcomes.

Message 24 of 29 (934 Views)
Professor

Microsoft informed partners of a delay in WM 7 in September of 2008.  Granted, there was not a release date, but you really don't expect beta testing for 3 years.

http://news.cnet.com/windows-mobile-7-release-delayed/

I asm not saying Microsoft isn't catching up to Apple and Android, but they are playing a cath up game.

And the reviewers are giving it good, but great reviews, like the final thoughts here:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20010916-85.html .  Not saying it is a bad operating system, but that it still needs a little work too.

Message 25 of 29 (921 Views)
Scholar

2 Million is a funny number when it's reported by Microsoft. As noted in THIS Engadget post Microsoft states licenses sold to OEMs, not phones bought/activated.

Message 26 of 29 (914 Views)
Professor

das8nt wrote:

2 Million is a funny number when it's reported by Microsoft. As noted in THIS Engadget post Microsoft states licenses sold to OEMs, not phones bought/activated.

Correct. The 2 million is devices sold to providers. I haven't seen any figures as to what percentage of this stock has been sold to end consumers.

Message 27 of 29 (908 Views)
Expert

FredW wrote:

Microsoft informed partners of a delay in WM 7 in September of 2008.  Granted, there was not a release date, but you really don't expect beta testing for 3 years.

http://news.cnet.com/windows-mobile-7-release-delayed/

I asm not saying Microsoft isn't catching up to Apple and Android, but they are playing a cath up game.

And the reviewers are giving it good, but great reviews, like the final thoughts here:

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20010916-85.html .  Not saying it is a bad operating system, but that it still needs a little work too.

Never did work on any major project have you? Havd seen major projects in alpha and beta test for over 4 years. Have seen "mature" software that people still find bugs and faults with - even after it being out for numerous years. You really think android or the apple IOS was perfect on it's first release? The main thing I see in your link are minor complaints, the copy and paste has already been addressed and will be corrected in the first PTF that MS releases for Windows 7 mobile this year. Android still hasn't gotten some business security issues corrected, even with the eventual 2.2/2.3 release of the OS for the phones.

If you believe that there is ANY software product or OS that does not "need a little work", then I have a nice piece of land down in florida I will sell you - it is dry in most places and you can rent the aligators out for extra income. I know of software that has been out for 11 years and there are still errors cropping up in them

Sorry but Apple IOS and Android still have a multitude of issue that exist in the current drop, android 2.2 is the first version that a security centric organization should think about allowing on their exchange server without a 3rd party add in - and there are still issues with 2.2 that we handle on a individual basis. Apple IOS still have issues and they are much more "mature" then windows 7 mobile let alone android

Message 28 of 29 (903 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

True, both still need tweaking - but they don't have to make up for losing 2/3 of thier market share.  The delay caused them to go from a 23% market share (and increasing) to an 8% market share (and declining, until WM7).

I think I probably represent the problem well.  The last time I upgraded, I looked at the available phones.  I was on my 3rd WM phone (a Tilt 2), and the operating system was no where close to what the other phones offered.  So I changed operating systems.  Now, Microsoft is not having to retain a customet, it is has to draw a new customer.  Conventional theory in marketing  is that it typically costs 3 times as much to get a new customer as to retain an existing one.  Had WM 7 been out, and I was using a WM device, I would have been more likely to buy WM.  Now Microsoft will have to convince me to switch back.  

Message 29 of 29 (833 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support