What Does it Mean to Renew Your Contract?

Professor

What Does it Mean to Renew Your Contract?

Once I upgraded my phone, receiving a subsidy in exchange for renewing a two-year commitment with AT&T Mobility, I thought that the old contract was null and void and replaced with the new contract.  The old contract had not expired (7/12), but I was upgrade eligible at the 20 month mark (3/12).

I have been denied the iPhone unlock, I guess because I had not completed the two-year commitment.  This doesn't make sense to me.  Is AT&T saying that I currently have two concurrent contracts on one line, one expiring 7/12 and the other expiring 3/14?  Or is AT&T saying that I have one 24-month contract that will end 7/12 and another 20-month contract will run from 7/12-3/14?

Moderators, please don't move this to the iPhone forum.  Even though I would not have questioned this had I not been denied the iPhone unlock (I would not have been aware of this conundrum), this question is strictly related to contracts related to phone upgrades.

Message 1 of 5 (1,408 Views)
Master

Re: What Does it Mean to Renew Your Contract?

I am surprised unless you need to wait 30 days so you don't get your unlock then reverse your upgrade. I would have thought you have one contract right now for two more years.

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 5 (1,402 Views)
Professor

That's just it.  Yesterday should have been day 32 for my upgrade purchase.  Today, I got the rejection email for the iPhone 4 unlock.

I think that I have one two-year contract that expires March 2014, as well.  I'm just trying to understand AT&T's logic.  I will call them later on today; I just wanted to avoid adding one more call to their cue.

Message 3 of 5 (1,396 Views)
Master

Did you upgrade to the iPhone on the other line?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 5 (1,389 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

I only have one line on AT&T Mobility.

Message 5 of 5 (1,384 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.