Helpful Links

What Does ATT O Mean?

Tutor

What Does ATT O Mean?

Hey guys since couple hours I am having problems with ATT all strange things happen I keep loosing signal , cant call , dont have internet , I am on Edge instead of 3G. And for some reason I have seen "O" for couple seconds instead of E or 3G what does that mean?

Message 1 of 12
Teacher

Re: What Does ATT O Mean?

If EDGE and/or 3G isn’t available, the iPhone will still try to connect via GPRS (General Packet Radio System – Wikipedia link) an even older, slower 2G protocol shown with an O symbol (for outside chance?). To stretch our analogy as thin as this signal, GRPS would be the ancient 24K modems.

Message 2 of 12
Scholar

Basically good for voice calls, and absolutely no data.

Message 3 of 12
Scholar

The AT&T O isn't GPRS, it is actually GSM, before GPRS came out...at least with GPRS, you have some data..very slow data that is...

Message 4 of 12
Scholar

rdubmu wrote:

The AT&T O isn't GPRS, it is actually GSM, before GPRS came out...at least with GPRS, you have some data..very slow data that is...

I do know if Pandora is playing on my phone, it will play, but cut out seriously bad, so it has to be transferring some data.

Message 5 of 12
Master

Almost correct.  That means the phone has defaulted to GSM (voice) and GPRS (data), which of course cannot be used simultaneously.

blackviper71 wrote:

If EDGE and/or 3G isn’t available, the iPhone will still try to connect via GPRS (General Packet Radio System – Wikipedia link) an even older, slower 2G protocol shown with an O symbol (for outside chance?). To stretch our analogy as thin as this signal, GRPS would be the ancient 24K modems.

Message 6 of 12
Tutor

So this is the 2nd day I am having issues everytime I try to connect to internet I loose all my bars. When I disable data and 3g. My service works just fine but without any possible internet. I called ATT and they transferred me to apple , at least I got a bumper  case however this must be something on ATT's side I'm I correct? someone help me out with this Smiley Happy this is the first time ever im having issues

Message 7 of 12
Master

It might be a phone issue.  It's unlikely that this is strictly an AT&T issue, unless other AT&T users in the area are experiencing the same thing.  Do you have any friends with AT&T?

Message 8 of 12
Contributor

I have a ATT iphone as well and it does the same thing. No idea why

Message 9 of 12
Professor

tiffylynne13 wrote:

I have a ATT iphone as well and it does the same thing. No idea why

If you read the thread that you replied to, it explains exactly why you are getting that icon.

Reading is fundamental.

Message 10 of 12
Master

patrykpl wrote:

So this is the 2nd day I am having issues everytime I try to connect to internet I loose all my bars. When I disable data and 3g. My service works just fine but without any possible internet. I called ATT and they transferred me to apple , at least I got a bumper  case however this must be something on ATT's side I'm I correct? someone help me out with this Smiley Happy this is the first time ever im having issues

Normally I would suggest the Apple store but in this case, I think you have a bad SIM.  This would especially be the case if other phones in the area are not having this problem.  The store can swap out your SIM and get you going.  If that does not work then a trip to the Apple store is in order to have them check your iPhone.  http://www.apple.com/retail

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Professor

I didnt see it suggested already, try a network reset first. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings.

It might help, it might not, but it will clear your saved WiFi networks.

Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support