Ask a question

Posted Jun 7, 2010
    8:48:37 AM
    What 3G Coverage

I am a long time BB user, so when the Bold came out with 3G I had to get it. That's back when AT&T launch the campaign how fast their 3G was compared to Verizon. The biggest problem I have with that is, it doesn't matter how fast it is without coverage. I'll sacrifice speed for coverage any day. When is AT& T going to get it. Suspense for coverage is until my contract is up and then I switching to Verizon. I travel quite a bit, my co worker has Verizon,  everywhere we go he has 3G he has coverage where I don't, when we do both have coverage we race and AT&T isn't  as fast as they claim to be.

What 3G Coverage

19 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (19)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 1:52:04 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

farmertg wrote:

I am a long time BB user, so when the Bold came out with 3G I had to get it. That's back when AT&T launch the campaign how fast their 3G was compared to Verizon. The biggest problem I have with that is, it doesn't matter how fast it is without coverage. I'll sacrifice speed for coverage any day. When is AT& T going to get it. Suspense for coverage is until my contract is up and then I switching to Verizon. I travel quite a bit, my co worker has Verizon,  everywhere we go he has 3G he has coverage where I don't, when we do both have coverage we race and AT&T isn't  as fast as they claim to be.

When does your contract end? Maybe if it ends pretty far into the near future, maybe you'll receive better 3G coverage by then...? Also, what city/state are you located in?

:cathappy: Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 :cathappy:

Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010
    *The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: What 3G Coverage

2 of 20 (381 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 4:37:09 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Banchilover101 wrote:

farmertg wrote:

When does your contract end? Maybe if it ends pretty far into the near future, maybe you'll receive better 3G coverage by then...? Also, what city/state are you located in?

My contract is up in 3 months and unless AT&T can get me 3G coverage in my town, they will lose a customer.  2009 they promised we'd have 3G.  LOL 

3 of 20 (371 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 5:04:00 PM
    (0)
    Professor

Someone actually promised you 3G coverage by the end of 2009 ?

Re: What 3G Coveragee

4 of 20 (368 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 5:18:41 PM
    (0)
    Tutor
    I rarely leave the tri state area so AT&T coverage is generally speaking fine for me but if I lived in an area with poor 3g none or travelled out enough I'd just switch back to verizon regardless of the ETF, the fee isn't high enough to keep you paying for a service that doesn't work for you

5 of 20 (367 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 7, 2010 5:22:30 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

formercanuck wrote:

Someone actually promised you 3G coverage by the end of 2009 ?

Yes.  The CEO.

6 of 20 (362 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 8:19:57 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Wiggins, MS, I can drive 20 miles South or 30 miles North and get 3G. But its not just at home Iowa, Alabama, and Pennsylvania same story.

7 of 20 (345 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 8:22:39 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

I don't think they get it. They are upgrading some of the major metropolis areas instead of adding more coverage. Lots of luck.....

8 of 20 (343 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 8:24:27 AM
    (0)
    Tutor

Good Point, Thanks

9 of 20 (342 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 4:04:44 PM
    (0)
    Professor

The CEO promised that you would have 3G coverage in your area by the end of 2009 ?

I'd like to see that.

10 of 20 (333 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 8, 2010 4:26:47 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

formercanuck wrote:

The CEO promised that you would have 3G coverage in your area by the end of 2009 ?

I'd like to see that.

If I was the customer calling, I'd ask for his autograph! Smiley Very Happy And a contract promise from him about the "3G coverage by the end of 2009."

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 20 (237 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 1:06:39 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

formercanuck wrote:

I'd like to see that.

Not exactly promise but said coverage would be available.

"AT&T Mobility today unveiled its network expansion plans for Virginia in the coming year. They include rolling out its third generation (3G) mobile broadband network in new communities including Suffolk as well as Charlottesville, Staunton, Waynesboro, Harrisonburg, Lynchburg, Danville, Roanoke, Salem, and Blacksburg in western Virginia and in Winchester in northern Virginia."

Never happened.  Liars.

12 of 20 (232 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jun 9, 2010 4:55:15 PM
    (0)
    Professor

In the coming year (I'm assuming that was last year), which means sometime 2010.

13 of 20 (225 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 17, 2010 9:28:35 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

formercanuck wrote:

In the coming year (I'm assuming that was last year), which means sometime 2010.

Meh... that's ok.  Their competition has 3G in this area.  No worries here.  Smiley Happy

14 of 20 (207 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 18, 2010 9:23:44 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

same promised here,not by ceo but corp.store, they need to sell my wife

the iphone.

15 of 20 (197 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 18, 2010 10:10:50 PM
    (0)
    Guru

wav3form wrote:

Banchilover101 wrote:

farmertg wrote:

My contract is up in 3 months and unless AT&T can get me 3G coverage in my town, they will lose a customer.  2009 they promised we'd have 3G.  LOL 

Did you know if you call at&t, you can ask them if there are new towers being built and where they care? Personally I called the cancelation line and the guy I talked to told me where the new tower was being built, how far away from me, and facts about it. It was very helpful, you might wanna try that. 

Also have you checked the coverage map for Sprint, Verizon, etc etc for 3G coverage?

16 of 20 (195 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 28, 2010 6:12:34 PM
    (0)
    Tutor

Dellman87 wrote:

wav3form wrote:

Banchilover101 wrote:

farmertg wrote:

Did you know if you call at&t, you can ask them if there are new towers being built and where they care? Personally I called the cancelation line and the guy I talked to told me where the new tower was being built, how far away from me, and facts about it. It was very helpful, you might wanna try that. 

Also have you checked the coverage map for Sprint, Verizon, etc etc for 3G coverage?

I didn't call the cancelation line because my contract is up in about two months so i'll decide what to do until then.  I have chatted online with an AT&T rep and they said 3G is coming soon.  LOL  Sprint and Verizon have saturated this area with 3G so it stinks paying the same amount and not getting comparable service. 

17 of 20 (174 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 28, 2010 10:06:56 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

ya come on over, i switched to vzw friday the 23rd, now i got 3g in owensboro,ky

and i got a signal in parts of my house i never had before, and i can even make a phone

call without droping,yelp that's right i can make a phone call in my houseSmiley Happy all these

years (15) waised on att. just got tired of being mislead my att, and last thursday was the last

straw,i hung up from att,went to the vzw store picked out the phone i wanted,called vzw and

told them i was thinking about leaving att and wanted to know if they had any deals on the

phone i wanted, they knocked off $150.00 on the phone,plus i got another 50.00 in mail in rebate

plus free over night shipping and free activation,plus they still have the $30.00 unlimed data,

by 12pm friday i had my new service. i will admit i will mis the rollover's, but i learn to live without

them,after all rollovers mean nothing if you can't make the call and use them.i never thought

i would live to see 3g in my house it's great.

18 of 20 (166 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Jul 29, 2010 8:59:25 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Master

retiredarmy wrote:

ya come on over, i switched to vzw friday the 23rd, now i got 3g in owensboro,ky

and i got a signal in parts of my house i never had before, and i can even make a phone

call without droping,yelp that's right i can make a phone call in my houseSmiley Happy all these

years (15) waised on att. just got tired of being mislead my att, and last thursday was the last

straw,i hung up from att,went to the vzw store picked out the phone i wanted,called vzw and

told them i was thinking about leaving att and wanted to know if they had any deals on the

phone i wanted, they knocked off $150.00 on the phone,plus i got another 50.00 in mail in rebate

plus free over night shipping and free activation,plus they still have the $30.00 unlimed data,

by 12pm friday i had my new service. i will admit i will mis the rollover's, but i learn to live without

them,after all rollovers mean nothing if you can't make the call and use them.i never thought

i would live to see 3g in my house it's great.

Glad to see the switch worked out for you. Smiley Happy

Which phone from Verizon did you end up getting?

19 of 20 (161 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Aug 1, 2010 11:48:27 AM
    (0)
    Professor

I'd never go with any 'coming soon' messages from customer service.

1.  They typically won't know any actual times (ask them directly about something specific - they won't tell you!)

2.  They'll tell you what is scripted, such as 'coming soon'.

3.  They can't make any contractual promises for service.

If its 3G you wan 'today' (and not in some future that you can't determine), pick a carrier that already has it.

20 of 20 (149 Views)