Ask a question

Posted Jan 5, 2010
9:20:51 AM
View profile
Weird data charges in the middle of the night?

Hi,

I have a BB 8900 with data plan.

When checking my data usage on my paper bill or online, it shows data being "sent" from my device every single night, usually between the hours of 2AM-3AM. And the amount of data varies but its always at least .5 MB, up to 1MB, which is quite a lot.

Here is a good example:

01/01                02:26 AM blackberry.net         Internet/MEdia Net          Sent        968KB

12/31                02:26 AM blackberry.net         Internet/MEdia Net          Sent        936KB

12/30                02:26 AM blackberry.net         Internet/MEdia Net          Sent        767KB

12/29                02:26 AM blackberry.net         Internet/MEdia Net          Sent        283KB

Does anyone know what this is caused by?

Thanks,

R-

Weird data charges in the middle of the night?

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 2:24:44 PM
(0)
Guru
Well since you have the unlimited data plan you don't have to worry about any charges so that's good. Do you have email set up to auto retrieve because that could cause the usage to show like this also data always shows as sent even if it received.

Re: Weird data charges in the middle of the night?

2 of 11 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 5, 2010 4:10:33 PM
(0)
Guru
also some smartphones and most blackberrys will search for updates at random times so that could also be it, also on my bill when i use data in the day sometimes the usage doesn't show on my acct until later that night...so it may be just a delay in the reporting system

3 of 11 (1,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 7:20:37 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same thing that started on my April 2010 billing cycle.  I have wap.cingular and Blackberry.net showing as text messages.  I have a Blackberry and I've used the device for almost a year.  And NEVER have I had these show under my text messages.  

What sucks, I'm not on an unlimited texting plan.  I've filed a open case with ATT customer service.  My concern is the Customer Service Rep....kept saying it was me using Blackberry Instant Messaging.  I've never used that in the 11 months I've had the phone.  

The time stamp on these messages are random..Sometimes 1:30am sometimes 5:20pm...with various amounts of data being sent.  

Someone at ATT needs to figure this out!  NOW!!!

4 of 11 (949 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 6, 2010 5:31:09 PM
(0)
Guru

Mine looks the same, but it does look like it is a cumulative amount of data used for a given day.  I'm looking at my current month and only see one or two days with 2 data lines.  And every text shows up, but cumulative data amounts.

04/3001:58 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent3052KB
05/0101:57 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent1030KB
05/0401:47 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent5812KB
05/0301:57 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent9056KB

And on and on.

Sent from my iPhone 4

5 of 11 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 5:10:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

If its showing up under text messages, then they are indeed text messages.

But, regarding the OPs concern: smartphones will use the data anytime they want. Turn it on airplane mode overnight if you don't want them connected.

6 of 11 (928 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 2:30:44 PM
(0)
Guru
I looked at both my bill and online current data usage and clearly it is cumulative Internet data and not text messaging.
Sent from my iPhone 4

7 of 11 (911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 7, 2010 7:14:39 PM
(0)
Professor

click_clack wrote:
I looked at both my bill and online current data usage and clearly it is cumulative Internet data and not text messaging.

Yes, it is cumulative data. My data is billed the same way. I use most of my data in the afternoon, yet it doesn't post to my account till usually around 2:00 a.m. I see other blocks that are anywhere from 4 hours to 8 hours apart, typically around 6 hours.

Also, smartphones don't use data anytime they want. They use data without user interaction only when they are setup that way, like checking for mail, checking for updates, checking to see if friends are online, etc, etc, .....

8 of 11 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 6, 2010 7:55:11 AM
(0)
Professor
What about powering the phone off, altogether (instead of using airplane mode)? Would that result in less cellular network usage overnight?

9 of 11 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 11:33:05 AM
(0)
Mentor

SLIKRICK wrote:
What about powering the phone off, altogether (instead of using airplane mode)? Would that result in less cellular network usage overnight?

airplane or flight mode disconnects you from the network and disables other radio devices including bluetooth and wifi (maybe gps as well), so this means no cellular network usage at all; that way you still can use other functions of the phone like games, music player, etc.

10 of 11 (817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2010 3:28:48 PM
(0)
Professor
Wow! That was awhile back. Thanks for the reply though. I kinda thought that, just wanted to make sure.

11 of 11 (488 Views)