Weird Data usage at 2am -- leakage? overcharge?

Contributor

Weird Data usage at 2am -- leakage? overcharge?

So I had to switch wife's plan to higher minutes, she had to give up unlimited data plan, since she is not a heavy data user, I didn't think it would be a problem.   I signed her up with 200mb initially and have been monitoring her usage.

I notice something very strange.   This is iphone 3G, no unlock, no jb, running 4.0.   Every day between 2AM - 3AM, there is always a 5-6mb worth of mobile data usage...  but we are home with WiFi so if anything, data shouldn't be going out through 3G or EDGE.  There is also no subsequent usage for hours following or before it.   And, this is the largest single transaction of data for the entire day!    The normal data usage would be sending and recieving emails....

What's more strange, I notice simliar patterns on my own 3G iphone!  running 3.2...   I have unlimited so I don't really care but I never monitor data usage until I switched.

Anyone else noticing this strange data usage pattern?   

Message 1 of 23

Re: Weird Data usage at 2am -- leakage? overcharge?

sandblaster wrote:

Two things. The time on your bill does not necessarily match the time when the data was actually downloaded/uploaded on the phone. Also, the entry on your bill could be an aggregation of multiple downloads/uploads done at different times.

/thread

As an AT&T employee, the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinion.
Message 16 of 23
Contributor

i dont know what happen but i was @work for the whole night and haven't even get a chance to check my phone while @work and when i got home all i did was check my e-mails and went to bed, next morning i recieved a txt msg from att saying that i've used 100% of my data plan allowance. Called att right away but there's nothing they can do but for me to pay extra $10. I was thinking if somebody can hack your account on att or there's a mistake on att's record, i dont know.... right now i turned off my 3g and data completely......

Message 17 of 23
ACE - Professor

xpogipn0yx wrote:

i dont know what happen but i was @work for the whole night and haven't even get a chance to check my phone while @work and when i got home all i did was check my e-mails and went to bed, next morning i recieved a txt msg from att saying that i've used 100% of my data plan allowance. Called att right away but there's nothing they can do but for me to pay extra $10. I was thinking if somebody can hack your account on att or there's a mistake on att's record, i dont know.... right now i turned off my 3g and data completely......

Sigh

Did you agree to send diagnostic data?

Did you, perhaps, use the Maps app, Facebook, IM, eMail, or any other app? Did you install an app from the App Store? Update an App? Watch a youtube video?

You're no doubt on the 200MB plan, which is not even close to sufficent for the iP4 unless you're going to run with cellular data off all the time.

No one can hack your account. You CAN use data quite easily, and quite a bit of data.

I would switch to the 2GB plan, backdated to the beginning of the billing period, and stay with it for several months until you figure out how much data you will use regularly each month.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 23
Contributor

i do have 2 gb plan and my cut off period is every 14th of the month and when i received the message from att is on the 18th so it's like only 4 days, and for the past month i dont even go more than 500 mb of data usage. No i haven't watch video or download any apps. I know my yahoo msgr and facebook automatically receiving msgs but nothing else. When I'm @home  I do have wifi and my phone automatically switch to wifi

Message 19 of 23
ACE - Professor

Well, you used the data somehow. I have no way of knowing how, only you know what you did, and when.

I can assure you you've used it. What does the usage say on the phone itself (settings/general/usage) under data?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 23
Master

Nobody hacked your account, and this isn't a mistake on AT&T's part.  If your phone is recording that much data used, that's how much you used.  Keep in mind with iOS4 that minimizing an application doesn't end it like in prior versions of the OS.  If you were using something that streamed data and you minimized it, the program might keep streaming data.

xpogipn0yx wrote:

Message 21 of 23
Contributor

I was shocked to find out when I got a message from att that I used 1.3 gb of data last month though most of the time, I have wifi at home when I'm using my iphone 4.  I don't use iphone for youtube.  I only use it to check my mail (don't look at attachments), and yahoo messenger. I checked my data usage on the iphone and it only says 280 mb.  I am now wondering which data tracker is correct, iphone or AT&T.

Message 22 of 23
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

They are both correct. You control when you reset yours, so that's the only variable. That, plus of course the reliability of self reporting on the internet.

Message 23 of 23
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support