Waterproofing my phone & insurance question

Contributor

Waterproofing my phone & insurance question

Hello all! - I was browsing the web the other day and saw a product that waterproofs your phone's electronics. I got distracted, left my station and returned with a cleared browsing session. I cannot find this product for the life of me. I live in Seattle and this would be perfect for those rainy days. Anyone know the product?

Also, I'm thinking about getting insurance for my phone... any recommendations?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12 (659 Views)
Master

Re: Waterproofing my phone & insurance question

a Quick Google search yields the following Yahoo news story! http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/invisibly-waterproof-iphone-071948340.html

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 12 (648 Views)

[ Edited ]

Don't get the insurance through Asurion. It's a huge rip-off. If you have homeowner's or renter's insurance, contact your provider and ask for an electronics rider. Some carriers will offer coverage to devices like laptops & iPhones.

In all likelihood, that waterproofing service would likely void your manufacturer's warranty.

Message 3 of 12 (609 Views)
Professor

is there a good  Insurance for the Iphone ?

Message 4 of 12 (603 Views)
Teacher

Square trade.com . It's same as AppleCare but it covers jail broken phones and you get 4 claims instead of 2. Also covers water damage. The deductible is $50 instead of $49 which isn't bad. It's $99 for 2 years. It's also either $124 or $150 for it if your iPhone is older than 30 days. Apple care won't let you get it after 30 days. Also, if you don't want to mail it out for repair and you take it to Apple they will reimburse you. If you break it beyond repair, they will give you a check for the amount. Example iPhone 4 off contract $549 for 8gb. If they can't repair it they will give me a check for $549. It's a really good insurance program.
Message 5 of 12 (595 Views)

I've used SqaureTrade warranties on all my electronics. They are fangassmic! (I made that word up) But I've actually made 3 claims on a single iPhone and every single time they were fast, and went above and beyond my expectations. Like above poster said...they cover water damage or any damage...even if its your fault. I highly recommend them for iphones in particular. 

Message 6 of 12 (582 Views)

Unless something changed with Apple Care + for the iPhone 4S, you used to be able to add Apple Care anytime within the manufacturer's warranty period (the first year).

An electronics rider on a homeowner's or renter's policy might still be a better deal than SquareTrade. Lower cost, potentially lower deductible...worth investigating (since it varies on a carrier-by-carrier basis).

Davidxd91 wrote:
Square trade.com . It's same as AppleCare but it covers jail broken phones and you get 4 claims instead of 2. Also covers water damage. The deductible is $50 instead of $49 which isn't bad. It's $99 for 2 years. It's also either $124 or $150 for it if your iPhone is older than 30 days. Apple care won't let you get it after 30 days. Also, if you don't want to mail it out for repair and you take it to Apple they will reimburse you. If you break it beyond repair, they will give you a check for the amount. Example iPhone 4 off contract $549 for 8gb. If they can't repair it they will give me a check for $549. It's a really good insurance program.

Message 7 of 12 (568 Views)
Master

BadBadLeroyBrown wrote:

Unless something changed with Apple Care + for the iPhone 4S, you used to be able to add Apple Care anytime within the manufacturer's warranty period (the first year).

Applecare+ must now be purchased at the time you buy your iPhone.  It is a change that started with the iPhone 4S.  Since it now covers some accidental damage, they made this change and it has a deductible if there is accidental damage.

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
Message 8 of 12 (531 Views)
Teacher

Actually it's 30 days. The reason for it is some retairers ex. Walmart sales Apple products but they dont sale Apple Care+
So they give you 30 days to go to a Apple store and get it.

Go down at the bottom of the page under "important notes" and you will see.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html
Message 9 of 12 (529 Views)
Master

Looks like they relaxed the "time of purchase" requirement but they do require inspection. Interesting.

Message 10 of 12 (525 Views)

Waterproof? Google liquipel
Message 11 of 12 (413 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

Take a look at Lifeproof  its a water proof case.    I used it myself and it works great.   Please note if you google it you may see mixed info on it from a year or 2 ago  there early units had isses but new ones work great.  You can get them at best buy or http://www.lifeproof.com   personaly i suggest best buy there the same price and the first thing they instructions have you do is put the case underwater for an hour (without phone)  to make sure you get one without defects..  

as far as liquipel  and similar that stuff voids your warnety.   its a very cool tech but there are other things but watter that can kill your iphone i whould be wary.  

Message 12 of 12 (360 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.