Waterproof cell phone

Contributor

Waterproof cell phone

Does ATT have a waterproof cell phone.   Not a water resistant one, but waterproof.  Something that can take a dunking for 5 minutes or so.  My old cell phone died today when we went in the water and I want the next one to waterproof.  I don't want a waterproof case or ziploc bag.  If I go in the water it will be unexpectedly and the phone won't be in one.

Thanks for the replies !

Message 1 of 14 (24,032 Views)
Guru

Re: Waterproof cell phone

Message 2 of 14 (24,012 Views)
Guru

I just saw the ATT part. I've never seen them sell a waterproof phone.
Message 3 of 14 (24,011 Views)
Master

I have never heard of nor seen a waterproof phone in general.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy

Message 4 of 14 (23,993 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

Motorola makes a line of cells that meets U.S. 810F Military Specifications for drop, dust, vibration, humidity, severe temperatures and rain. These are pretty basic cell phones and have none of the toys that normal cell phones have.

Some in the line are the Tundra, Adventure, Nextel i335, I580, i335, i605. They only one that ATT carriers in the normal line is the Tundra, currently out of stock online - have seen it being sold unlocked on amazon

Message 5 of 14 (23,990 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

The Tundra probably could not handle 5-minute total immersion. Not on AT&T but the G'zOne Boulder is definitely waterproof. Refurbished and unlocked available on Amazon.

Immersion Test

Testing Criteria:

The immersion test was conducted in accordance with MIL-STD-810F, Method 5124, Procedure I (Immersion). The handset was immersed in water for a period of 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter with ports and battery cover completely closed.

Results:

The G'zOne successfully powered on with no visible evidence of damage or deterioration.

Message 6 of 14 (23,980 Views)
Expert

seilogramp wrote:

The Tundra looks like the OP's best but, but still not waterproof. Not sure it could handle 5-minute total immersion. Not on AT&T but the G'zOne Boulder is definately waterproof. Refurbished and unlocked available on Amazon.

Immersion Test

Testing Criteria:

The immersion test was conducted in accourdance with MIL-STD-810F, Method 5124, Procedure I (Immersion). The handset was immersded in water for a period of 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter with ports and battery cover completely closed.

Results:

The G'zOne successfully powered on with no visible evidence of damage or deterioration.

not sure the bouder comes in gsm, have only seen it on cdma networks like verizon, the other one would be the closest to what the op wants that is available on att

Message 7 of 14 (23,972 Views)
Teacher

Then if waterproof is a priority, I'd suggest switching to Verizon.

Message 8 of 14 (23,958 Views)
Contributor

I was in bestbuy 2 weeks ago and they had an att phone on display in like a fishtank and it said it was a new waterproof phone. Not sure the name of it, but it was fully submerged in water. Check bestbuy out and ask someone there about it.
Message 9 of 14 (17,208 Views)
Guru

dawnxoxrenee wrote:
I was in bestbuy 2 weeks ago and they had an att phone on display in like a fishtank and it said it was a new waterproof phone. Not sure the name of it, but it was fully submerged in water. Check bestbuy out and ask someone there about it.
There's a waterproof case for the i4 that AT&T has on display, in a fishbowl. It was an AT&T store where I saw this.
Message 10 of 14 (17,194 Views)
Expert

considering the post that the person responded to was over a year old I suspect they already had the issue resolved

Message 11 of 14 (17,176 Views)
Professor

That's right. Samsung Rugby Smart®.
Message 12 of 14 (17,155 Views)
Mentor

I have read online that you can put your wet phone even after it went through the washing machine in a ziplog bag of rice 36 hours to a week to dry it out. Most of the time it will be fine as long as you do not try to turn the phone on when it is wet and take out the battery as soon as possible.

Message 13 of 14 (16,952 Views)
Expert

mejoey1 wrote:

I have read online that you can put your wet phone even after it went through the washing machine in a ziplog bag of rice 36 hours to a week to dry it out. Most of the time it will be fine as long as you do not try to turn the phone on when it is wet and take out the battery as soon as possible.

That proceedure works sometimes, although the indicator for the device getting wet is still triggered, it has to be white uncooked rice. Stress the word sometimes though

Message 14 of 14 (16,942 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.