Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Mar 6, 2012
8:13:32 PM
View profile
Water damaged iPhone; Buying a new one off eBay - Activation question

My iPhone became water damaged last Friday night - I can still call from it and receive calls, everything basically works except for the fact that the screen is fried, so I can't see who is calling or anything at all, really. I removed the Sim card and put in in rice for the weekend so it would dry out nicely; it seems to be working since I can make calls.

My question is, if I buy a new iPhone 4 from eBay, how will I be able to reactivate it? Do I just pop my old Sim card in and it will begin working, or must I got to an AT&T store and speak with someone to help me activate the eBay phone? Will there be a problem with activating the phone? 

My iPhone became water damaged last Friday night - I can still call from it and receive calls, everything basically works except for the fact that the screen is fried, so I can't see who is calling or anything at all, really. I removed the Sim card and put in in rice for the weekend so it would dry out nicely; it seems to be working since I can make calls.

My question is, if I buy a new iPhone 4 from eBay, how will I be able to reactivate it? Do I just pop my old Sim card in and it will begin working, or must I got to an AT&T store and speak with someone to help me activate the eBay phone? Will there be a problem with activating the phone? 

Water damaged iPhone; Buying a new one off eBay - Activation question

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 8:55:39 PM
(0)
Professor

Khiodo wrote:

if your current Iphone is a iphone4 then yes insert Sim card and your good to go. now if you have a 3gs you need to go to AT&T and get a new sim card.and if it need to be activated it  just use yuor sim card if it fits in the iphone4,and activate thru Itunes and keep your existing data plan  only if you have a iphone 4. but activation should not be a problem since you already have service and a contract with AT&T with out resetting your upgrade date.

Khiodo wrote:

if your current Iphone is a iphone4 then yes insert Sim card and your good to go. now if you have a 3gs you need to go to AT&T and get a new sim card.and if it need to be activated it  just use yuor sim card if it fits in the iphone4,and activate thru Itunes and keep your existing data plan  only if you have a iphone 4. but activation should not be a problem since you already have service and a contract with AT&T with out resetting your upgrade date.

hello!!!

Re: Water damaged iPhone; Buying a new one off eBay - Activation question

2 of 5 (1,826 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2012 9:02:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

Great, thanks! Yep, the phone I broke was an iPhone 4 as well. (: I feel much better about buying from eBay now. Woot. 

Great, thanks! Yep, the phone I broke was an iPhone 4 as well. (: I feel much better about buying from eBay now. Woot. 

3 of 5 (1,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 5:53:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If the digitizer is the only thing that's toast, Apple will swap it out for ~$100. Bring it into an Apple store and have them look it over. Just an option to consider looking into.

If the digitizer is the only thing that's toast, Apple will swap it out for ~$100. Bring it into an Apple store and have them look it over. Just an option to consider looking into.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 5 (1,790 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2012 8:27:25 AM
(0)
Scholar
Sorry to hear about this Smiley Sad
I had a similar incident with a X10i
Last year It fell in the sink lol I did the rice thing and put it on the radiator it worked fine afterwards I was glad cos phone store quoted me $200 to repair it :/

Btw what you can do is sell ur old damaged phone
On eBay as faulty to get some cash back then u can
Buy ur next iPhone 4

Best of luck Smiley Happy
Sorry to hear about this Smiley Sad
I had a similar incident with a X10i
Last year It fell in the sink lol I did the rice thing and put it on the radiator it worked fine afterwards I was glad cos phone store quoted me $200 to repair it :/

Btw what you can do is sell ur old damaged phone
On eBay as faulty to get some cash back then u can
Buy ur next iPhone 4

Best of luck Smiley Happy

5 of 5 (1,779 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments