Warning!!After 4 months still getting data usage issues

Contributor

Warning!!After 4 months still getting data usage issues

Over the last 4 months I have been dealing with random data usage. This morning I get a message that the phone has reached its  200 Meg limit(not the first time) I have contacted ATT repeatedly and all they say is that they can't figure out the problem they do refund money but its time consuming and a chore. I shouldn't have to work this hard to have a phone. 

Here is the catch everything on my phone is turned off except the phone. I have in good faith tried to solve the problem.  Has any one gotten any kind of reply or fix. I believe that this might be a service contract breach. If I can't get the service I was promised than I should 1) be able to cancel my service  provided I return the phones 2) Provide me with a NEW phone that works properly or 3) they should bring back unlimited usage and I/WE don't have to worry about this problem.

Having to call to get the same answer verbatim and offered a credit is like receiving hush money to keep you quiet. Because  there are thousands of complaints with the same issue you would think they would come out with a solution and fix or at least explain the problem.

Honestly I have had it with this service and very tired with the runaround.

VERY,VERY,VERY DISSATISFIED ONCE LOYAL CUSTOMER.

Message 1 of 13 (3,204 Views)
Professor

Re: Warning!!After 4 months still getting data usage issues

What device are you using?

How do you know that you have not legitimately used the 200MB of data?  Do you never use the cellular data on your device?

What programs/apps do you have installed?

Do you have email accounts configured on the device?

You can complain all you want, but unlimited data is simply not coming back.  You will be unable to cancel your service without paying an ETF because nothing you've posted indicates that AT&T has violated the terms of the contract.  It honestly sounds like you are doing something that you either are not admitting or are unaware that you are doing.

Message 2 of 13 (3,171 Views)
Contributor

Re: Warning!After 4 months still getting data usage issues

[ Edited ]

Wrong!!

no email configured.

text only.

no apps other than factory apps.

networking turned off.

mobile networking turned off

blue tooth turned off

background data turned off

wifi turned off

no vpns set

the only things I cant remove

is news, weather, and stocks I have tried unable to remove

google address is not active.

disabled cb messages

I Have contacted ATT and spoke to other user and its called PHANTOM DATA. It usually comes early in the morning between 12am and 6am and hundreds if not thousands of customers of ATT are experiencing It.  I took the battery off earlier today for 2 hours. My phone had sent me a message that I had gone over 200 mgb around 3 am after I re inserted the battery I received another email that My additional 200 mgb has utilized 75%. So in 2 hours with the phone off NO BATTERY I some how used another 75%. THE PHONE LIKE YOU, IS JACKED UP. ATT is ripping people off.

Message 3 of 13 (3,069 Views)
Guru

Attn: Brand new user...just signed on today-

I'm sorry that you are "VERY VERY VERY DISATISFIED"  with some personal issues.

We are all here to help one another. You were asked WHAT phone/device you had. You CHOSE NOT to answer. Thus, no one here knows what your device is, NOR you operating system. Obviously, no help could be offered.

Apparently, you came here just to vent...and not have someone help you.

I hope that tomorrow is a better day for you!   Man Very Happy

Message 4 of 13 (3,064 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

Yes, telling us what phone you have is important, since many smartphones use data in the background ALL THE TIME regardless of what apps you install, activate.  This is how these particular devices are designed to work, so its not a malfunction.  But many of these "background" services can be turned off, if you tell us what phone you are talking about.

On some phones, turning off data does nothing except deactivate it until the next time an app turns it back on.  Believe it or not.  But there are ways to "really" turn off the data connection.

Message 5 of 13 (2,933 Views)
Tutor

I just bought my daughter the HTC phone and am having the EXACT same problem. Ghost data from 12am-6am. I woke up at 4am, checked the usage at 140MB. Then 8am, 160MB. She was sleeping the whole time. This is crazy. I am calling them now but don't expect much of an answer.

Message 6 of 13 (2,679 Views)
Guru

You bought your daughter "the HTC phone?" Which HTC phone...what operating system, etc? As the poster before you so exactly mentioned, there are FREE programs that you can download, to block totally 'data usage,' when you want the data totally turned off.  That is a simple enough thing to do. Google is your friend.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13 (2,668 Views)
Guru

Addendum- I'll give you a hint... try googling  Modaco NoData,  or  go to www.modaco.com 

Also, get used to visiting the xda developers....

Message 8 of 13 (2,653 Views)

matschang, how is the v3 go phone working for you?

Message 9 of 13 (2,613 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the two days since I discovered this problem on my iPhone 3GS iOS4, I’ve kept the “Cellular Data” setting turned off.  So in theory, my iPhone can ONLY access the internet via WiFi, which AT&T says is free and shouldn't even be included in my "data usage" tally.  Notifications were already set to off, I turned 3G off, and went through all the settings and all of my apps and turned off everything I could find.  I also downloaded the “Dataman” app to track my usage, and have kept the phone completely powered off almost all of the time.  

Even so, I’ve gotten usage alert e-mails and texts from AT&T each of the past two nights, and the on-line myWireless account says I’ve used an additional 90Mb, even though Dataman says I’ve used 7 Mb of Wireless and 0 Mb of cellular data in that same time period.  AT&T says I've used 607 Mb in a week when my iPhone says I've only used ~45 Mb (settings->general->usage)  Both my iPhone' settings and AT&T's billing agreed that I'd used 485 Mb TOTAL for the combined 3 months I've had the phone through last week.

This is NOT routine tracking, or updating, or compiling of the day's usage.  AT&T’s billing system think I’m using data when I’m not.  Is it a virus? Hackers? System error? Evil manipulation to force me to upgrade to an unlimited data account?  HELP!!!

Message 10 of 13 (2,171 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the two days since I discovered this problem on my iPhone 3GS iOS4, I’ve kept the “Cellular Data” setting turned off.  So in theory, my iPhone can ONLY access the internet via WiFi, which AT&T says is free and shouldn't even be included in my "data usage" tally.  Notifications were already set to off, I turned 3G off, and went through all the settings and all of my apps and turned off everything I could find.  I also downloaded the “Dataman” app to track my usage, and have kept the phone completely powered off almost all of the time.  

Even so, I’ve gotten usage alert e-mails and texts from AT&T each of the past two nights, and the on-line myWireless account says I’ve used an additional 90Mb, even though Dataman says I’ve used 7 Mb of Wireless and 0 Mb of cellular data in that same time period.  AT&T says I've used 607 Mb in a week when my iPhone says I've only used ~45 Mb (settings->general->usage)  Both my iPhone' settings and AT&T's billing agreed that I'd used 485 Mb TOTAL for the combined 3 months I've had the phone through last week.

This is NOT routine tracking, or updating, or compiling of the day's usage.  AT&T’s billing system think I’m using data when I’m not.  Is it a virus? Hackers? System error? Evil manipulation to force me to upgrade to an unlimited data account?  HELP!!!

Message 11 of 13 (1,382 Views)
Professor

fwerner wrote:

You do realize that data usage shown on your account can be delays 72hrs or more, correct?

Just because you've had cellular data turned off for the past two days, does not mean that some usage cannot still bill to your account.

Wait a week, then if you are still seeing data billed to your account with cellular data turned off the entire time, THEN you have a problem and need to contact AT&T.  At this point, there is nothing that indicates a problem.

Message 12 of 13 (1,373 Views)
Contributor

I have 4 i phones on my account and am having the same difficulties with my data usage every month. I dont even go on my internet at all which is the crazy part. Have they ever resolved your billing issues? Can you offer me any advice on how to stop this from becoming a monthly hour long phone call? Besides simply changing providers which looks like the only option right now.

Message 13 of 13 (925 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.