Wait for iPhone 5 or buy iPhone 4 now?

Teacher

Wait for iPhone 5 or buy iPhone 4 now?

I have the iPhone 3g and with the release of the new operating system, I was wondering if it is worth waiting for the iPhone 5 to come out or buy the iPhone 4 now. 

My phone is really slow and it's getting unbearable to use.  I was trying to wait until September but I'm just not sure if I should.  Are there huge problems with the iPhone 4 that would make you wait for the 5 to be released?

Message 1 of 16
Professor

Re: Wait for iPhone 5 or buy iPhone 4 now?

It really is your decision, but if you've waited this long, what is another 3 months?

Honestly, if your 3G is that slow, either get a new or refurb iPhone 4... you can get them for as little as $99 (refurb 16gb).

There are no "huge problems" with the iPhone4.
Message 2 of 16
Teacher

Thank you!
Message 3 of 16
Master

My wife's iPhone 3G was getting slow.  I performed a restore then restored her backup. It cleaned up a lot of "Other" data on the phone taking space.  Her phone is functioning better now.  For now though, wait and see what the new iPhone model is and what it will do then decide.

Good Luck!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 4 of 16
Guru

That is IF there is a new iPhone this year.
Message 5 of 16
Master

I have the 3GS model. I'm anxious for a new one.. Software has been announced for fall release. Hopefully they announce new hardware around that time. You've waited this long. Try to hold out for the release of a new iPhone. You'll be rewarded with the latest iPhone. And feel spoiled by the upgrades kn hardware and software
Message 6 of 16
Professor

i have the Iphone4 but i am going to wait to use my upgrade for  the Iphone5 if it comes out. next month i will be eligible for A UpGrade ((YAY ME))  i hope apple has a new Iphone 5 coming out.

i would wait if i was you not to much longer.

Message 7 of 16
Master

If you have waited this long and as long as your current iPhone is still working, I would wait for the next iPhone to come out. Sep., or Oct. really isn't that far away, and I think you'll be happier that you did wait once you have the newer one in your hands.

Message 8 of 16
Mentor

I just picked up a White iP4 32GB so I guess that says what my opinion is on it. If history is any indicator, iPhone 4S is more likely than an iPhone "5"

It really doesn't matter since anything you buy is at-best obsolete in a year.

Message 9 of 16
Mentor

Keep in mind the option to buy a non subsidized iphone directly from apple if you think you'll ever want to use it out of the country without getting screwed by at&t. If you think that will ever be the case, you'll thank yourself down the road.
Message 10 of 16
Professor

You should probably wait until September noting:

• iPhone 4 sales have been cutback hinting at an event in September (or iPhone 4 may have lost a lot of business to Droid fans given the year's event of complaints)
  • September may include an iPhone 5 when iOS5 is reannounced (or iPhone 4S given hints of a different product)
  • After you upgrade to iPhone 4, you can not upgrade to iPhone 5 without paying full price. iPhone 4 previously costed $499 and $599 full price.

Message 11 of 16
Professor

josephz2va wrote:
  • After you upgrade to iPhone 4, you can not upgrade to iPhone 5 without paying full price. iPhone 4 previously costed $499 and $599 full price.

iPhone pricing has always been and still are:
$199/299 16/32GB full discount
$399/499 16/32GB Early upgrade
$499/599 16/32GB Contract free.
With the relase of the unlocked device, prices are $649/749 16/32GB.
Message 12 of 16
Contributor

I am in the same boat and am now eligible for an upgrade. It is not clear whether the next iPhone will be a minor upgrade or a redesign. I will only buy if it's a redesign because the minor upgrade will be supposedly replaced within 6-9 months. With a two year wait for a subsidized phone, I'll wait for the biggest bang for the buck.
Message 13 of 16
Professor

satchev wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

You all are $100 too low for the no-commitment cost of the iPhone 4:

Device New and Upgrade Eligible Early Upgrade No Commitment 
iPhone 4 (16GB) $199$399 $599
iPhone 4 (32GB) $299$499 $699 
iPhone 3GS (8GB) Black $49 $249 $499 

Message 14 of 16
Expert

21stNow wrote:

satchev wrote:

josephz2va wrote:

You all are $100 too low for the no-commitment cost of the iPhone 4:

Device New and Upgrade Eligible Early Upgrade No Commitment 
iPhone 4 (16GB) $199$399 $599
iPhone 4 (32GB) $299$499 $699 
iPhone 3GS (8GB) Black $49 $249 $499 

two qualifications

1. 250.00 addityional early upgrade charge

2. unlocked iphone ONLY available through Apple

Message 15 of 16
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support