Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 9, 2011
12:52:34 PM
View profile
WP7 Mango Visual Voice Mail

The Mango update for Windows Phone 7 is coming this fall and I was curious if ATT has any plans to allow the native visual voice mail in the Mango update work on their network.

I know that ATT supports VVM with the iPhone and BBs right now, but unfortunately WP7 running Mango currently have no option to use VVM.  (T-Mobile's network currently allows VVM in Mango just to verify the option exists)

Any idea when this maybe unlocked? 

Thank you.

The Mango update for Windows Phone 7 is coming this fall and I was curious if ATT has any plans to allow the native visual voice mail in the Mango update work on their network.

I know that ATT supports VVM with the iPhone and BBs right now, but unfortunately WP7 running Mango currently have no option to use VVM.  (T-Mobile's network currently allows VVM in Mango just to verify the option exists)

Any idea when this maybe unlocked? 

Thank you.

WP7 Mango Visual Voice Mail

64 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(64)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 3:22:00 AM
(0)
Employee
no plans at this time
no plans at this time
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: WP7 Mango Visual Voice Mail

2 of 65 (5,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 8:26:18 AM
(0)
Teacher

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it only take 1 option to allow VVM?  I mean if it was a BB Bold all I would have to do is check a box and I am done. 

If I am not mistaken the only difference from normal VM and VVM is how it is stored and broadcasted to the phone so unless the WP7 uses a new system unknown to ATT the option only needs to be activated so my old VM box is removed and my new VVM box is activated.

I realize it maybe a bit more then that but if I were to change my phone from the Focus to a Bold in my profile would I be able to check that VVM box just to see if it works or is that out of the question?

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't it only take 1 option to allow VVM?  I mean if it was a BB Bold all I would have to do is check a box and I am done. 

If I am not mistaken the only difference from normal VM and VVM is how it is stored and broadcasted to the phone so unless the WP7 uses a new system unknown to ATT the option only needs to be activated so my old VM box is removed and my new VVM box is activated.

I realize it maybe a bit more then that but if I were to change my phone from the Focus to a Bold in my profile would I be able to check that VVM box just to see if it works or is that out of the question?

3 of 65 (5,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 9:01:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Microsoft has confirmed that visual Voice mail is a feature that will be part of the Mango update this fall.  MS has demonstrated this feature,  there are feature demos online and PocketNow DOT com has the live demo. 

PS: I am running the latest build of Mango and it is truly a great improvment,  I have not touched my iPhone 4 in two weeks.

Microsoft has confirmed that visual Voice mail is a feature that will be part of the Mango update this fall.  MS has demonstrated this feature,  there are feature demos online and PocketNow DOT com has the live demo. 

PS: I am running the latest build of Mango and it is truly a great improvment,  I have not touched my iPhone 4 in two weeks.

4 of 65 (5,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 10:50:35 AM
(0)
Teacher

The currently released beta of Mango has the VVM feature but unfortunatly it is only working on T-Mobile.  T-Mobile does things a bit different then ATT has they have both VVM and VM options on by default where as ATT the option is either/or and VVM isn't on by default.

I am trying to find out how to get it to work on ATT currently since my Focus is currently running Mango.

The currently released beta of Mango has the VVM feature but unfortunatly it is only working on T-Mobile.  T-Mobile does things a bit different then ATT has they have both VVM and VM options on by default where as ATT the option is either/or and VVM isn't on by default.

I am trying to find out how to get it to work on ATT currently since my Focus is currently running Mango.

5 of 65 (5,375 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 12, 2011 5:03:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

Please let m eknow if you find out how to get it to work on AT&T.  thanks!

Please let m eknow if you find out how to get it to work on AT&T.  thanks!

6 of 65 (5,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 1:14:48 AM
(0)
Employee
VVM needs to be provisioned on your account. its all set up behind the scenes with iPhones and blackberrys without you even realizing it.

VVM needs to be provisioned on your account. its all set up behind the scenes with iPhones and blackberrys without you even realizing it.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 65 (5,340 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 5:24:45 AM
(0)
Contributor

I know that this is still a beta version of the upcoming OS, but I would have expected Microsoft's "Premier Partner" to support these features so that beta testers could verify it's functionality.  I love my windows phone and was excited last year when AT&T was announced as the premier partner.  Since then I have become less than excited about that title since it doesn't appear to mean anything really to the consumer except that you offered the most options for phones (3).  Please tell us loyal customers that you have plans to support this feature prior to the RTM of WP Mango.

I know that this is still a beta version of the upcoming OS, but I would have expected Microsoft's "Premier Partner" to support these features so that beta testers could verify it's functionality.  I love my windows phone and was excited last year when AT&T was announced as the premier partner.  Since then I have become less than excited about that title since it doesn't appear to mean anything really to the consumer except that you offered the most options for phones (3).  Please tell us loyal customers that you have plans to support this feature prior to the RTM of WP Mango.

8 of 65 (5,333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 14, 2011 5:38:48 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by TooGStyle on Jul 14, 2011 at 5:39:09 AM

JFizDaWiz,

If it is all setup behind the scenes how do I get them to do that without having a BB or iPhone? 

Why is it so hard for ATT to just have a check box on my account allowing me to turn on/off VVM?

I have called and talked to customer service and all they will tell me it that acording to the manual they are issued on the Samsung Focus that there is no VVM.  Even after I explain that it is an updated OS and it offers VVM they tell me there is no option for VVM with that phone.

I want to know if I can have VVM Physical forced on my account.  If not, why and when will this problem be fixed?

Honestly this is the worst service I have ever had for ATT when it come to customer help in the 17 years I have been with Bell, Cingular, ATT.  Why can't I talk to the next level tech about this or at least someone who doesn't need to read the service manual to me over the phone like I am stupid.

JFizDaWiz,

If it is all setup behind the scenes how do I get them to do that without having a BB or iPhone? 

Why is it so hard for ATT to just have a check box on my account allowing me to turn on/off VVM?

I have called and talked to customer service and all they will tell me it that acording to the manual they are issued on the Samsung Focus that there is no VVM.  Even after I explain that it is an updated OS and it offers VVM they tell me there is no option for VVM with that phone.

I want to know if I can have VVM Physical forced on my account.  If not, why and when will this problem be fixed?

Honestly this is the worst service I have ever had for ATT when it come to customer help in the 17 years I have been with Bell, Cingular, ATT.  Why can't I talk to the next level tech about this or at least someone who doesn't need to read the service manual to me over the phone like I am stupid.

[ Edited ]
9 of 65 (5,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 11:49:47 PM
(0)
Employee
that updated OS isn't currently supported by us. and we use manuals because it's impossible (almost) to know how to use every phone and where every option is. the update is still beta, correct?

when it officially launches we'll have an answer, even tech can't assist with this because it's not out yet and therefore we don't have any support for it.
that updated OS isn't currently supported by us. and we use manuals because it's impossible (almost) to know how to use every phone and where every option is. the update is still beta, correct?

when it officially launches we'll have an answer, even tech can't assist with this because it's not out yet and therefore we don't have any support for it.

10 of 65 (5,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 11:51:04 PM
(0)
Employee
cant edit on mobile, but it's not so much an option for VVM as it is a feature. that feature doesn't exist so we can't add it. iphone and BB have their own seperate plans for this.
cant edit on mobile, but it's not so much an option for VVM as it is a feature. that feature doesn't exist so we can't add it. iphone and BB have their own seperate plans for this.

11 of 65 (3,497 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2011 8:46:36 AM
(0)
Teacher

Now that Mango RTM handsets have been sent out is there any word on VVM for WP7 yet?

Now that Mango RTM handsets have been sent out is there any word on VVM for WP7 yet?

12 of 65 (3,326 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 11:29:16 AM
(0)
Tutor

It would e nice if something were released as to when WP7 phone users with AT&T would recieve this update.  A quick call to mobile tech support rewards me with nothing.  The tech didn't even know what WM7 was, much less that we were expected to receive an update.

As usual, AT&T's "right hand" is working & not talking to the "left hand".

It would e nice if something were released as to when WP7 phone users with AT&T would recieve this update.  A quick call to mobile tech support rewards me with nothing.  The tech didn't even know what WM7 was, much less that we were expected to receive an update.

As usual, AT&T's "right hand" is working & not talking to the "left hand".

13 of 65 (3,245 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 29, 2011 11:12:42 PM
(0)
Employee
Most people won't know an update is coming out until its released. Others like me spend too much time researching so we know everything. But no official word from at&t yet
Most people won't know an update is coming out until its released. Others like me spend too much time researching so we know everything. But no official word from at&t yet

14 of 65 (3,238 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 30, 2011 9:34:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

JFizDaWiz - A previous post stated "that updated OS isn't currently supported by us. and we use manuals because it's impossible (almost) to know how to use every phone and where every option is. the update is still beta, correct?

when it officially launches we'll have an answer, even tech can't assist with this because it's not out yet and therefore we don't have any support for it."

WP7.5 "Mango" was released to RTM on July 26th, given to developers and to carriers including AT&T.  This is an official non-beta OS ready for production use.  5 weeks+ later after this release date that VVM is unknown since "nothing official" has been announced leaves me speachless.

I called support this week to shake the tree so to speak, and AT&T employees that "don't research" knew of the upcoming iPhone update/release but couldn't give me any official details as they haven't been released to the public.

I then asked about the Windows Phone update and the same support agent didn't even have a clue, "I know nothing of this OS udpate therefore cannot confirm the rumors at this time".

AT&T needs to step up their act as a "premier" Windows Phone carrier, give all platforms the same dedication as iPhone, keep customers notified of major updates outside of iPhone with good non-vague information, or Microsoft should drop AT&T like a bad habit.

Hiding behind "nothing official" has been announced the latter part of August is a cop out, WP Mango "officially" hits new phones Sept 1st.

JFizDaWiz - A previous post stated "that updated OS isn't currently supported by us. and we use manuals because it's impossible (almost) to know how to use every phone and where every option is. the update is still beta, correct?

when it officially launches we'll have an answer, even tech can't assist with this because it's not out yet and therefore we don't have any support for it."

WP7.5 "Mango" was released to RTM on July 26th, given to developers and to carriers including AT&T.  This is an official non-beta OS ready for production use.  5 weeks+ later after this release date that VVM is unknown since "nothing official" has been announced leaves me speachless.

I called support this week to shake the tree so to speak, and AT&T employees that "don't research" knew of the upcoming iPhone update/release but couldn't give me any official details as they haven't been released to the public.

I then asked about the Windows Phone update and the same support agent didn't even have a clue, "I know nothing of this OS udpate therefore cannot confirm the rumors at this time".

AT&T needs to step up their act as a "premier" Windows Phone carrier, give all platforms the same dedication as iPhone, keep customers notified of major updates outside of iPhone with good non-vague information, or Microsoft should drop AT&T like a bad habit.

Hiding behind "nothing official" has been announced the latter part of August is a cop out, WP Mango "officially" hits new phones Sept 1st.

15 of 65 (3,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2011 10:30:15 AM
(0)
Teacher

So ATT is releasing the Mango update come 27Sep11 now.... do we get VVM or not? 

So ATT is releasing the Mango update come 27Sep11 now.... do we get VVM or not? 

16 of 65 (3,023 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 12:59:15 PM
(0)
Tutor
I just upgraded both of my Samsung Focus' to the official AT&T approved Windows Phone 7.5 and so did my friends on T-Mobile and Verizon. Now here is what stings me! AT&T calls themselves the "Premier Provider of Windows Phones" in the USA and so far AT&T is the only company that doesn't support Visual Voicemail on Windows Phone 7.5 devices! It's pretty lame that Version with ONE phone and T-Mobile only lists ONE phone and both of their services are providing their new Windows 7.5 phones with Visual Voicemail. AT&T really doesn't care about Microsoft or Windows Phone -- or care about it's customers. Booo! John
I just upgraded both of my Samsung Focus' to the official AT&T approved Windows Phone 7.5 and so did my friends on T-Mobile and Verizon. Now here is what stings me! AT&T calls themselves the "Premier Provider of Windows Phones" in the USA and so far AT&T is the only company that doesn't support Visual Voicemail on Windows Phone 7.5 devices! It's pretty lame that Version with ONE phone and T-Mobile only lists ONE phone and both of their services are providing their new Windows 7.5 phones with Visual Voicemail. AT&T really doesn't care about Microsoft or Windows Phone -- or care about it's customers. Booo! John
-John

17 of 65 (2,935 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 1:04:00 PM
(0)
Tutor

AT&T doesn't even have "Avatars" in their forum for Windows Phone users!

No image of a Windows Phone and under OS they only have three little Android avatars.

Second class all the way.  Oh, Maybe 3rd class becasue Apple and their iPhone ranks above WP7 in AT&Ts eyes.

AT&T doesn't even have "Avatars" in their forum for Windows Phone users!

No image of a Windows Phone and under OS they only have three little Android avatars.

Second class all the way.  Oh, Maybe 3rd class becasue Apple and their iPhone ranks above WP7 in AT&Ts eyes.

-John

18 of 65 (2,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 1:59:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

Alright, the disappointment at the lack of immediately available VVM after the Mango update aside, now that AT&T has officially released WP7.5, when can we expect WORD on the availability of visual voicemail?

Alright, the disappointment at the lack of immediately available VVM after the Mango update aside, now that AT&T has officially released WP7.5, when can we expect WORD on the availability of visual voicemail?

19 of 65 (2,903 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 3:43:38 PM
(0)
Contributor
Good luck with that. I just spend the last hour on the phone with tech support and they claim that according to Samsung the Focus does not support VVM with the 7.5 update. I kept trying to push the issue but that seemed to be the company line.
Good luck with that. I just spend the last hour on the phone with tech support and they claim that according to Samsung the Focus does not support VVM with the 7.5 update. I kept trying to push the issue but that seemed to be the company line.

20 of 65 (2,876 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2011 11:44:19 PM
(0)
Tutor

This feature is absolutely provided by the Windows Phone OS.  We need to continue to ask for it from AT&T so that they realize that this is a feature people care about.

Please enable Visual Voicemail for Windows Phones!  I have a Samsung Focus and I have been hoping for this feature for a long time.

This feature is absolutely provided by the Windows Phone OS.  We need to continue to ask for it from AT&T so that they realize that this is a feature people care about.

Please enable Visual Voicemail for Windows Phones!  I have a Samsung Focus and I have been hoping for this feature for a long time.

21 of 65 (4,689 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:13:10 AM
(0)
Teacher

This is most definatly a feature that is wanted by myself and many others.

This is most definatly a feature that is wanted by myself and many others.

22 of 65 (4,640 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 8:18:41 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm very disappointed AT&T dropped the ball on this. Mango has been coming for a long time and this was a widely publicised feature added. AT&T has no excuse for short changing us on this. 

I'm consistently disappointed by this company. Hopefully the Nokia phones are available on other carriers. 

I'm very disappointed AT&T dropped the ball on this. Mango has been coming for a long time and this was a widely publicised feature added. AT&T has no excuse for short changing us on this. 

I'm consistently disappointed by this company. Hopefully the Nokia phones are available on other carriers. 

23 of 65 (4,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 1:16:31 PM
(0)
Contributor

I plan on switching to T-mobile because AT&T is ridiculous...worst provider for WP7 period...and their support, both online and on the phone, are cue card reading drones

I plan on switching to T-mobile because AT&T is ridiculous...worst provider for WP7 period...and their support, both online and on the phone, are cue card reading drones

24 of 65 (4,523 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 1:41:44 PM
(0)
Tutor

I am posting in this thread to voice my support for AT&T to support Visual Voicemail in Windows Phone 7.5.

With AT&T being the "premiere carrier" in the US, I assumed VVM would be supported.

I am posting in this thread to voice my support for AT&T to support Visual Voicemail in Windows Phone 7.5.

With AT&T being the "premiere carrier" in the US, I assumed VVM would be supported.

25 of 65 (4,508 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 4:35:22 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too would like to request visual voicemail for Windows Phone 7.5 on AT&T. 

I too would like to request visual voicemail for Windows Phone 7.5 on AT&T. 

26 of 65 (4,463 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 5:48:48 PM
(0)
Teacher

Nearly 3 months ago I asked about VVM in Windows Phone 7.1.  I have contacted ATT more then 5 times during this asking for information and still nothing....

I ask, I just informing us that it is in the works or not too much to ask?

Also I love the fact that while the new phones like the Samsung Focus S are listed in ATT's system already, they too are said to not support VVM.  Is this what we are to look forward to on the Premeir WP7 dealer?

Nearly 3 months ago I asked about VVM in Windows Phone 7.1.  I have contacted ATT more then 5 times during this asking for information and still nothing....

I ask, I just informing us that it is in the works or not too much to ask?

Also I love the fact that while the new phones like the Samsung Focus S are listed in ATT's system already, they too are said to not support VVM.  Is this what we are to look forward to on the Premeir WP7 dealer?

27 of 65 (4,445 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 6:17:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

OMG

https://twitter.com/#!/ATT/status/119099087999086593

They are, or at least say they are, working on VVM for WP7.

OMG

https://twitter.com/#!/ATT/status/119099087999086593

They are, or at least say they are, working on VVM for WP7.

28 of 65 (4,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2011 5:28:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Add me to the list of those who are appalled that the premier WP carrier would COMPLETELY drop the ball with one of the best new features of Mango.  Shame on you AT&T!

The feature is there...you knew about it...you support it for iPhone (and that sinking ship of an OS, Blackberry)!

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were intentionally trying sabotage WP7!  Could you imagine if the roles were reversed and this was Apple launching a new feature that was designed into the OS, but AT&T neglected to support it on their network?  No, you can't imagine...because IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!

Get with the program AT&T or I'll take my $250/mo. elsewhere!  And that's not an idle threat.

Add me to the list of those who are appalled that the premier WP carrier would COMPLETELY drop the ball with one of the best new features of Mango.  Shame on you AT&T!

The feature is there...you knew about it...you support it for iPhone (and that sinking ship of an OS, Blackberry)!

If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were intentionally trying sabotage WP7!  Could you imagine if the roles were reversed and this was Apple launching a new feature that was designed into the OS, but AT&T neglected to support it on their network?  No, you can't imagine...because IT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN!!

Get with the program AT&T or I'll take my $250/mo. elsewhere!  And that's not an idle threat.

29 of 65 (4,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2011 1:43:57 PM
(0)
Tutor

ATT has the worst support I have ecver had the displeasure of dealing with.  There is always somone else to pass the buck to, and nobody is capable of handling anything because its always "another department" or "out of my control".  I can't count on fingers and toes how many times I have wished that there was another option, but there isn't.  ATT has a monopoly.  If they did this to an apple product, apple would not only stop selling products through ATT, they would BAN usage of thier devices on ATT, and sue the pants off of them for damaging thier products view in the public eye.  ATT loves to pass the blame to someone else, but this is nobody's fault but ATTs. WP7.5 rocks, and ATT makes it look like a continual dissapointment.

ATT has the worst support I have ecver had the displeasure of dealing with.  There is always somone else to pass the buck to, and nobody is capable of handling anything because its always "another department" or "out of my control".  I can't count on fingers and toes how many times I have wished that there was another option, but there isn't.  ATT has a monopoly.  If they did this to an apple product, apple would not only stop selling products through ATT, they would BAN usage of thier devices on ATT, and sue the pants off of them for damaging thier products view in the public eye.  ATT loves to pass the blame to someone else, but this is nobody's fault but ATTs. WP7.5 rocks, and ATT makes it look like a continual dissapointment.

30 of 65 (3,773 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments