Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 7, 2010
1:41:29 PM
WE WANT UNLIMITED DATA!

I really don't understand why At&t did this; going from Unlimited to now 2GB is really messing with some peoples bills. Since I've had the iPhone I have already used up all of my 2GB of data and now I am paying the overage fee's. I hardly do anymore web browsing than the average person and I check my email a few times a day and use a few apps and its DRAINING my usage so much. I loved having unlimited because it just let you be free to use your data whenever and how much you wanted. Now I'm almost afraid to use my data plan because I don't want to over use it, its actually starting to create a burden on me because it was just so much more simple to have the unlimited data. Every other network has it and At&t is the only to do without it.. WHY? I just don't get it, I mean I am willing to pay $5 even $10 dollars more a month to have unlimited. This makes no sense to me. GIVE BACK THE UNLIMITED DATA!!!

I really don't understand why At&t did this; going from Unlimited to now 2GB is really messing with some peoples bills. Since I've had the iPhone I have already used up all of my 2GB of data and now I am paying the overage fee's. I hardly do anymore web browsing than the average person and I check my email a few times a day and use a few apps and its DRAINING my usage so much. I loved having unlimited because it just let you be free to use your data whenever and how much you wanted. Now I'm almost afraid to use my data plan because I don't want to over use it, its actually starting to create a burden on me because it was just so much more simple to have the unlimited data. Every other network has it and At&t is the only to do without it.. WHY? I just don't get it, I mean I am willing to pay $5 even $10 dollars more a month to have unlimited. This makes no sense to me. GIVE BACK THE UNLIMITED DATA!!!

WE WANT UNLIMITED DATA!

221 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(221)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 1:36:34 PM
(0)
Guru

It absolutely is a QMD device.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.

Re: WE WANT UNLIMITED DATA!

211 of 222 (1,009 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 7, 2010 2:17:17 PM
(0)
Expert

erichamion wrote:

In that case they poster was not eligible for the unlimited data plan for smartphones. So the CS rep did the correct thing.

erichamion wrote:

In that case they poster was not eligible for the unlimited data plan for smartphones. So the CS rep did the correct thing.

212 of 222 (991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 5:23:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

yes we want unlimited data but put yourself in a Executive business owners shoes: unlimited data on a cell phone enables a person to not have any reason to purchase the "bundle" package or home internet separately. Theres no money to be made with unlimited cell phone data packages..

yes we want unlimited data but put yourself in a Executive business owners shoes: unlimited data on a cell phone enables a person to not have any reason to purchase the "bundle" package or home internet separately. Theres no money to be made with unlimited cell phone data packages..

213 of 222 (867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 6:11:47 AM
(0)
Tutor

Yeah I don't think they were confused at all in if they were eligable for the unlimited plan or if their phone was a smartphone or not. What they were saying is they have been a customer for a long time and it would have been nice if AT&T would allow them to use the Unlimited plan. I tend to agree, even on my QMD I was using 2-3gb a month. I am going to feel raw after AT&T gets done with me with the iPhone.

Yeah I don't think they were confused at all in if they were eligable for the unlimited plan or if their phone was a smartphone or not. What they were saying is they have been a customer for a long time and it would have been nice if AT&T would allow them to use the Unlimited plan. I tend to agree, even on my QMD I was using 2-3gb a month. I am going to feel raw after AT&T gets done with me with the iPhone.

214 of 222 (853 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 14, 2010 7:15:08 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Oct 14, 2010 at 7:15:43 AM

So it startrs with the other providers

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/10/t-mobile-reducing-data-cap-will-throttle-speeds-after-5gb-of-usage/

Cricket has had this policy for about a year on their "unlimited data" plan

So it startrs with the other providers

http://www.tmonews.com/2010/10/t-mobile-reducing-data-cap-will-throttle-speeds-after-5gb-of-usage/

Cricket has had this policy for about a year on their "unlimited data" plan

[ Edited ]
215 of 222 (840 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 11:46:29 AM
(0)
Contributor

I'm a new at&t customer who has just purchased the iPhone4 2weeks ago.  I just wanted to say that this post has been an eye opener for me.  I do remember checking into Verizon and them stating the 5g limit on their unlimited services.  I really enjoy my new phone and was really thinking about cancelling my service because I've already used up the 2g limit in the 2 weeks  and I'm fasterly approaching the the end of 3g since I've had this phone.  I never thought about the home router. I will have to check into that before my 30days are up and make my decision.

There would really be no point in going anywhere else if the trend is already set and the others are in line to follow.  Now if they could just give you more of a realtime on your usage it would help with keeping track of things.  I read that it could take up to 72 hours for them to update this, not good for someone like me.  It does keep you on your toes and have you making sure your completely signed out of everything.

I'm a new at&t customer who has just purchased the iPhone4 2weeks ago.  I just wanted to say that this post has been an eye opener for me.  I do remember checking into Verizon and them stating the 5g limit on their unlimited services.  I really enjoy my new phone and was really thinking about cancelling my service because I've already used up the 2g limit in the 2 weeks  and I'm fasterly approaching the the end of 3g since I've had this phone.  I never thought about the home router. I will have to check into that before my 30days are up and make my decision.

There would really be no point in going anywhere else if the trend is already set and the others are in line to follow.  Now if they could just give you more of a realtime on your usage it would help with keeping track of things.  I read that it could take up to 72 hours for them to update this, not good for someone like me.  It does keep you on your toes and have you making sure your completely signed out of everything.

216 of 222 (754 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 2:23:47 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just wanted to share a possible solution to this problem; I personally plan to look into it further.  I just saw an article that I googled about Clearwire Corporation iSpot (portable) personal hotspot device with dedicated support for apple's line of mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod). MSRP $99.99 and users can enjoy unlimited 4G data usage for an initial monthly service offering of $25 without a required term contract. www.clear.com sprint has one also.. I know some have said they would pay $50 a month, well if at&t don't want to offer us an option there are those who are willing too without the long term commitment. I will gladly give them $25 a month if I like what I find out. I plan on doing this before my 30days are up. ;-) if it looks promising they have saved at&t a customer.

I just wanted to share a possible solution to this problem; I personally plan to look into it further.  I just saw an article that I googled about Clearwire Corporation iSpot (portable) personal hotspot device with dedicated support for apple's line of mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, iPod). MSRP $99.99 and users can enjoy unlimited 4G data usage for an initial monthly service offering of $25 without a required term contract. www.clear.com sprint has one also.. I know some have said they would pay $50 a month, well if at&t don't want to offer us an option there are those who are willing too without the long term commitment. I will gladly give them $25 a month if I like what I find out. I plan on doing this before my 30days are up. ;-) if it looks promising they have saved at&t a customer.

217 of 222 (724 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 5:05:27 PM
(0)
Contributor

Unlimited Data please. all other wireless phone company have unlimited Data plan. T-mobile  have unlimite Data plan for 39.99. Verizon have 29.99 for unlimited. now we have to worry about over Limit for Data plan. that's suck. $10 for over 1GB that is alot. should keep unlimited Data plan for Iphone. i dont mind to pay $40 Data plan or more, i just want Unlimited, that's why i get Iphone. $25 for 2GB, everyone will be over limit, so most like every month need to pay for 50 or 60++. Why not just buy a Jailbroken Iphone then take Verizon service for $29.99 unlimited Data plan. no one wanna pay more since Economy is not not good now.

Unlimited Data please. all other wireless phone company have unlimited Data plan. T-mobile  have unlimite Data plan for 39.99. Verizon have 29.99 for unlimited. now we have to worry about over Limit for Data plan. that's suck. $10 for over 1GB that is alot. should keep unlimited Data plan for Iphone. i dont mind to pay $40 Data plan or more, i just want Unlimited, that's why i get Iphone. $25 for 2GB, everyone will be over limit, so most like every month need to pay for 50 or 60++. Why not just buy a Jailbroken Iphone then take Verizon service for $29.99 unlimited Data plan. no one wanna pay more since Economy is not not good now.

218 of 222 (708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 5:54:05 PM
(0)
Professor

y2p48 wrote:

You are obviously clueless about what you speak.

Verizon has already stated they are moving to tiered and currently have a 5GB cap on their "unlimited" plan.

TMO is moving to capped plans.

You will not be able to take any iPhone (currently available on the market) and get service from Verizon, they use an incompatible technology.

Try reading the thread you are responding to.  All of your comments have previously been addressed.

y2p48 wrote:

You are obviously clueless about what you speak.

Verizon has already stated they are moving to tiered and currently have a 5GB cap on their "unlimited" plan.

TMO is moving to capped plans.

You will not be able to take any iPhone (currently available on the market) and get service from Verizon, they use an incompatible technology.

Try reading the thread you are responding to.  All of your comments have previously been addressed.

219 of 222 (704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 15, 2010 6:38:14 PM
(0)
Expert

y2p48 wrote:

One slight and very minor problem with your idea of taking a "jailbroken iphone to verizon" - the iphone will not phyiscially work on verizon's sever, nor sprints. the only one that it will is t-mobile and if you look at a previous link t-mobile is starting to enforce a cap of 5gb on their unlimited plan, while they will not cut your service off they wil throttle it until you billing cycle ends.

y2p48 wrote:

One slight and very minor problem with your idea of taking a "jailbroken iphone to verizon" - the iphone will not phyiscially work on verizon's sever, nor sprints. the only one that it will is t-mobile and if you look at a previous link t-mobile is starting to enforce a cap of 5gb on their unlimited plan, while they will not cut your service off they wil throttle it until you billing cycle ends.

220 of 222 (694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 12:46:52 AM
(0)
Scholar

Personally, I think AT&T is justified in ending the unlimited data option for new customers.  At the very least, they can do as they wish -- if anyone thinks they can't, launch your own satellites and all the other stuff you need to do to get your own unlimited data.  It borders on humorous that people think they're entitled to something that is provided as a paid service by a company that's putting people and hardware in place to even make the service possible.

That being said, I think AT&T is extremely stingy with the plans they offer.  IMO, the plans should start at 5gb for $30.  The 2GB maximum prior to overage costs is ridiculous given the growth of cloud based services and streaming media.  5GB is enough to cover what most people will use, and many will never approach.  I think they'd do quite well revenue-wise if they allowed this to be an umbrella service that included all a user's devices.  I'd be more likely to go over my 5GB if it included the use of my iPad or any other 3G connected device.

It's going to take a major carrier to start something like this to make AT&T and others see it as a selling point, and it'll have to include an iPhone native to the carrier -- jailbreaking is fun for some, but many (myself included) just want to hit the power switch and run, and not deal with the rest.

Sure am glad I started with unlimited data and a 3GS -- I stream a lot of internet radio on my iPhone-4 and regularly hit 3GB or more per month, but haven't yet hit 5GB.  Regardless, it' nice not to worry about that...

Personally, I think AT&T is justified in ending the unlimited data option for new customers.  At the very least, they can do as they wish -- if anyone thinks they can't, launch your own satellites and all the other stuff you need to do to get your own unlimited data.  It borders on humorous that people think they're entitled to something that is provided as a paid service by a company that's putting people and hardware in place to even make the service possible.

That being said, I think AT&T is extremely stingy with the plans they offer.  IMO, the plans should start at 5gb for $30.  The 2GB maximum prior to overage costs is ridiculous given the growth of cloud based services and streaming media.  5GB is enough to cover what most people will use, and many will never approach.  I think they'd do quite well revenue-wise if they allowed this to be an umbrella service that included all a user's devices.  I'd be more likely to go over my 5GB if it included the use of my iPad or any other 3G connected device.

It's going to take a major carrier to start something like this to make AT&T and others see it as a selling point, and it'll have to include an iPhone native to the carrier -- jailbreaking is fun for some, but many (myself included) just want to hit the power switch and run, and not deal with the rest.

Sure am glad I started with unlimited data and a 3GS -- I stream a lot of internet radio on my iPhone-4 and regularly hit 3GB or more per month, but haven't yet hit 5GB.  Regardless, it' nice not to worry about that...

221 of 222 (384 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 16, 2010 4:54:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

y2p48 wrote:

... $25 for 2GB, everyone will be over limit, so most like every month need to pay for 50 or 60++. ...

I've had an iPhone for 2 years now.  I started with an iPHone 3G, then upgraded to an iPhoen 4 this summer.  I have never gone over 1GB data in a single month, in fact, when I upgraded to my iPhone 4 back in July, I had only used a total of 6.75GB data for the entire 20-21 mnths I had the iPhone 3G.  For me the 2GB data plan is a $5/month cost savings...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

y2p48 wrote:

... $25 for 2GB, everyone will be over limit, so most like every month need to pay for 50 or 60++. ...

I've had an iPhone for 2 years now.  I started with an iPHone 3G, then upgraded to an iPhoen 4 this summer.  I have never gone over 1GB data in a single month, in fact, when I upgraded to my iPhone 4 back in July, I had only used a total of 6.75GB data for the entire 20-21 mnths I had the iPhone 3G.  For me the 2GB data plan is a $5/month cost savings...

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

222 of 222 (350 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments