WE WANT UNLIMITED DATA!

Teacher

WE WANT UNLIMITED DATA!

I really don't understand why At&t did this; going from Unlimited to now 2GB is really messing with some peoples bills. Since I've had the iPhone I have already used up all of my 2GB of data and now I am paying the overage fee's. I hardly do anymore web browsing than the average person and I check my email a few times a day and use a few apps and its DRAINING my usage so much. I loved having unlimited because it just let you be free to use your data whenever and how much you wanted. Now I'm almost afraid to use my data plan because I don't want to over use it, its actually starting to create a burden on me because it was just so much more simple to have the unlimited data. Every other network has it and At&t is the only to do without it.. WHY? I just don't get it, I mean I am willing to pay $5 even $10 dollars more a month to have unlimited. This makes no sense to me. GIVE BACK THE UNLIMITED DATA!!!

Message 1 of 222 (7,458 Views)
Scholar

Re: WE WANT UNLIMITED DATA!

MC_Hammer wrote:

What is the big friggin deal? You have to pay for what you use, just like *gasp* your monthly minutes! In theory you can run up tens of thousands of minutes in a month, but I don't see anybody complaining about tiered talk plans, why is data any different? I was grandfathered under the old plan but downgraded to the 2gb plan as I have never been over 750mb in a month. Sure it's only $5 a month, but that's essentially two free months over a year's time, and my wife will save over $150!

Verizon is getting ready to do the same thing, so get used to it.

It's the simple fact that a company did offer it and then decided to remove it.  You should never remove something that people want.  Just use it as another option and charge for it.  I just went over my 2GB as of today and I'm being charged another $10 and I have 5 days left before my new month begins.  That's not right.

They offer unlimited TXT and I pay the $20.00/month for that so it's not a money issue.  I will pay the $30, $40, or $50 a month for unlimited data, just don't remove something that the customer wants.

Message 121 of 222 (1,368 Views)
Expert

datoad wrote:

MC_Hammer wrote:

What is the big friggin deal? You have to pay for what you use, just like *gasp* your monthly minutes! In theory you can run up tens of thousands of minutes in a month, but I don't see anybody complaining about tiered talk plans, why is data any different? I was grandfathered under the old plan but downgraded to the 2gb plan as I have never been over 750mb in a month. Sure it's only $5 a month, but that's essentially two free months over a year's time, and my wife will save over $150!

It's the simple fact that a company did offer it and then decided to remove it.  You should never remove something that people want.  Just use it as another option and charge for it.  I just went over my 2GB as of today and I'm being charged another $10 and I have 5 days left before my new month begins.  That's not right.

They offer unlimited TXT and I pay the $20.00/month for that so it's not a money issue.  I will pay the $30, $40, or $50 a month for unlimited data, just don't remove something that the customer wants.

things change, companies add and remove services all the times, prices go up and rarely go down. I want Plymoth to bring back the ARA Barracuda with a 440 HemiHead and 6 Pack carburators - have about as much chance of that as getting a low cost unlimited data plan back. If they bring it back given the availablity of tower bandwidth would suspect the profit generation point would be arount 75.00

Why is it not right? You are the one that are choosing to use your data plan in such a method that it takes you over the cap, try adjusting your habits. Your data usage is controlled by you and only you.

As far as what the customer wants - for years the screaming of wanting a lower cost data package rampaged through the forums - ATT gives it and now the screams of unfair is rampaging through the forums - just proves the simple statement - be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

Message 122 of 222 (1,361 Views)
Scholar

wingrider01 wrote:

things change, companies add and remove services all the times, prices go up and rarely go down. I want Plymoth to bring back the ARA Barracuda with a 440 HemiHead and 6 Pack carburators - have about as much chance of that as getting a low cost unlimited data plan back. If they bring it back given the availablity of tower bandwidth would suspect the profit generation point would be arount 75.00

Why is it not right? You are the one that are choosing to use your data plan in such a method that it takes you over the cap, try adjusting your habits. Your data usage is controlled by you and only you.

As far as what the customer wants - for years the screaming of wanting a lower cost data package rampaged through the forums - ATT gives it and now the screams of unfair is rampaging through the forums - just proves the simple statement - be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

You mean the tons of data usage that happens at night?  The Phantom data, and the large amounts of data you can not control?  I turn off my push notifications, location services, and rarely use the data when I'm in the field.  I'm usually at work (wifi) or at home (wifi), so with the "little" amount of data I use I don't see how I can go over.  I think ATT is doing a number on my data usage as I can't even see how they are charging me.  There is no account detail as to who, what, when, where the data is being used.  Just a time and number.  Just the other day a good friend asked me for the number to check on her data usage.  So ATT is making more money from this little stunt to lower the cost of their data plans.  

I would never scream at the cost of an unlimited plan.  I never had a iPhone before the 23rd of July.  Most are stupid to scream to lower the cost of the plan as this was what would have happened and did.

Message 123 of 222 (1,358 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

wingrider01 wrote:

Tony C. wrote:

Yes, AT&T is forcing you to go to this new data plan if you would like to upgrade to a smart phone. I have been with them for 13 years all of them with a dumb phone with the unlimited data plan. Now after all this time with them I'm upgrading to an iPhone 4, that is on BO. Now for the reason I say Forced! I could not upgrade until 7/14, after they changed the plans. I ask when I ordered my phone if I was going to get lucky and get to keep my unlimited data plan, I was told NO! So for anyone to say we are not being Forced to go to it, not true! Before anyone can say, then why don't you just go to some other company. They all suck, it's just a matter of going with the one that doesn't suck the most!

Have a good day 

No one forced you, your decision to upgrade, you probably had the choice to upgrade at a higher price prior to the conversion, if the data plan was that important to you you could have chosen that option. You other choice is to move to verizon or sprint with their smart phones, for verizon better move fast it looks like they are close to implementing the same plans, with sprint if you want the EVO then expect to pay a 10.00 a month forces charge for the luxury of having this phone.

If you did not have a smart phone data plan prior to the upgrade, which seems to be true since you said you had a dumb phone, it just plan does not qualify to be grandfathered in, corporate policy.

Enjoy where every you, will be intersting to see how long it takes you to post the same style of complaints on those boards

I didn't want to respond because at this point we are beating a dead horse.  However, I was one that had a smartphone, but the unlimited data plan at $20.  Why would I upgrade to the $30 data plan in the past when my phone and plan suited me just fine?  When they said that anyone with a smartphone data plan would be grandfathered, then told me that it didn't apply to me, I felt misled by AT&T.  My usage was extremely low in the past, because I didn't use data on my phone as much as I wanted to because the phone was so slow.  I thought that all phones at that time had the same speed as mine.  Now that I try for a "better" phone, I won't have the unlimited data.  We do feel that the change was "forced".

Message 124 of 222 (1,347 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Tony C. wrote:

Yes, AT&T is forcing you to go to this new data plan if you would like to upgrade to a smart phone. I have been with them for 13 years all of them with a dumb phone with the unlimited data plan. Now after all this time with them I'm upgrading to an iPhone 4, that is on BO. Now for the reason I say Forced! I could not upgrade until 7/14, after they changed the plans. I ask when I ordered my phone if I was going to get lucky and get to keep my unlimited data plan, I was told NO! So for anyone to say we are not being Forced to go to it, not true! Before anyone can say, then why don't you just go to some other company. They all suck, it's just a matter of going with the one that doesn't suck the most!

Have a good day 

No one forced you, your decision to upgrade, you probably had the choice to upgrade at a higher price prior to the conversion, if the data plan was that important to you you could have chosen that option. You other choice is to move to verizon or sprint with their smart phones, for verizon better move fast it looks like they are close to implementing the same plans, with sprint if you want the EVO then expect to pay a 10.00 a month forces charge for the luxury of having this phone.

If you did not have a smart phone data plan prior to the upgrade, which seems to be true since you said you had a dumb phone, it just plan does not qualify to be grandfathered in, corporate policy.

Enjoy where every you, will be intersting to see how long it takes you to post the same style of complaints on those boards

I didn't want to respond because at this point we are beating a dead horse.  However, I was one that had a smartphone, but the unlimited data plan at $20.  Why would I upgrade to the $30 data plan in the past when my phone and plan suited me just fine?  When they said that anyone with a smartphone data plan would be grandfathered, then told me that it didn't apply to me, I felt misled by AT&T.  My usage was extremely low in the past, because I didn't use data on my phone as much as I wanted to because the phone was so slow.  I thought that all phones at that time had the same speed as mine.  Now that I try for a "better" phone, I won't have the unlimited data.  We do feel that the change was "forced".

what 20 smartphone data plan? Do not believe there was ever a 20 dollar smartphone data plan, there was the Iphone Unlimited @ 30.00 and the Windows Mobile/BlackBerry at I think it was 30.00 also, the enterprise plans where 15.00 additional.

If you have an original Iphone data plan that was grandfathered in but you had to switch to the 30.00 cost and add a texting plan to it.

Message 125 of 222 (1,335 Views)
Professor

[ Edited ]

what 20 smartphone data plan? Do not believe there was ever a 20 dollar smartphone data plan, there was the Iphone Unlimited @ 30.00 and the Windows Mobile/BlackBerry at I think it was 30.00 also, the enterprise plans where 15.00 additional.

If you have an original Iphone data plan that was grandfathered in but you had to switch to the 30.00 cost and add a texting plan to it.

I had a Nokia E61 with unlimited data for $20.  My plan was started in 2007.  It was shown and discussed as being a smartphone data plan.  The $30 unlimited data plan was shown as an iPhone and some other phones data plan, after I got the Nokia.  The iPhone had not come out at the time I got my phone.  I have never had a text message plan.

Message 126 of 222 (1,308 Views)
Expert

21stNow wrote:

I had a Nokia E61 with unlimited data for $20.  My plan was started in 2007.  It was shown and discussed as being a smartphone data plan.  The $30 unlimited data plan was shown as an iPhone and some other phones data plan, after I got the Nokia.  The iPhone had not come out at the time I got my phone.  I have never had a text message plan.

sorry never seen a 20 smartphone plan, not doubting you but have only seen 20.00 dumbphone plans

Message 127 of 222 (1,261 Views)
Scholar

datoad wrote:

MC_Hammer wrote:

You have unlimited data.  You're free to use absolutely as much of it as you like.  It's just the price has now been adjusted to meet market realities in that there's a lot of people all wanting to use this finite resource.

I'm sure that it would be nice to have unlimited electricity too.  And once upon a time, it was unlimited.  Right up to the point that they started installing meters on the sides of buildings, people could use as much as they wanted.  Not so much any longer, because the reality is that too is a finite resource.  Now days, you can still use as much as you like, it's just not flat rate all you can eat.

Times change. 

Message 148 of 222 (1,220 Views)
Voyager

[ Edited ]

10nisman94 wrote:

spawn026 wrote:

still don't know why your complaining. verizon is going tiered and sprint won't be far behind when 4g rolls out. They already have an additional fee for 4g. Your complaining about unlimited data but the fact is there was never unlimited data. Hit the 5g mark and your account is flagged as it is with other carriers. Cable companies do the same thing. Unlimited is limited with benefits. If your tying up 5gigs a month on 3g with no router use then its because of people like you why the data system changed. You abuse what you have then complain when your caught.

about the 5gb rule...not true for ATT. I once used 10gb and no contact was made. I know verizon FiOS has no data limit whatsoever. People regularily run close to 600 GB with no further contact. I have heard that comcast has a 250gb cap.

I can confirm this... I average about 17 GB's a month and have NEVER received a letter or have been charged a penny more for my data plan, all with my iPhone + tethering 

Message 152 of 222 (1,194 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

I use to use 30-50gb a month and never got in trouble.  I was able to tether because of jailbreaking and the iPhone was my internet/phone/TV(youtube,hulu) bill all in oneSmiley Happy.  For $90(family plan/unlimited data) a month I'm getting a good deal.

/sarcasm

Message 153 of 222 (1,189 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm at 11GB for this month with a week to go. This one downloads allot of podcasts and iTunes TV shows. Jailbroken 32GB 3GS.

On my second line, I'm at 2GB already 5 days into the new month. I use that one to stream music using my XM radio app. This is on my iPhone 4.

My third iPhone, I am at barely 1GB on the last day of the month. This is on a 8GB 3GS. I've never heard from AT&T in the three years I've been with them about using too much data.

I have three lines not because I need three phone numbers. I have them just to use data on all of them, only one is used as my phone most of the time though I do make calls on all of them occasionally.

Message 154 of 222 (874 Views)
Guru

I now understand why some aren't happy about the data cap.

It wasn't much of an issue with me, but I've started listening to Pandora Radio while I'm at work. Luckily, I am grandfathered into the unlimited plan, but for those who aren't, the radio applications are really useless considering it would be so easy to go over a data plan of 2G. I was very close to changing my plan, but I'm glad I didn't. AT&T really needs to do a better job with their data plans. It doesn't make sense to charge someone $15.00 for 1/10 of the amount of useage you charge for $25.00. I know they aren't going to listen to me, but here's my idea. $15.00 for 1G, $25.00 for 2G and $35.00 for 3G.

Message 128 of 222 (1,498 Views)
Master

Re: I now understand why some aren't happy about the data cap.

This could have been posted in one of several other threads on this same topic…
Message 129 of 222 (1,472 Views)
Professor

Well, now that it is posted, what was your data usage looking like after using the Pandora for a couple of days? How much of an increase from the normal?

Message 130 of 222 (1,438 Views)
Guru

Irish Rose wrote:
This could have been posted in one of several other threads on this same topic…

Sorry, but I only read the apple forum on here. I don't care about the other forums.

Message 131 of 222 (1,419 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.