Helpful Links

W518A please help befuddled granny

W518A please help befuddled granny

Just got the 518a and have spent more time than I want to trying to figure out a few "simple" things.  I would so appreciate someone's help.

1.  Ringtones.  Coming from a W350, which was so easy to set up ringtones.  The 518 just won't play any of my old ringtones.  They had been MP3's.  I figured out (finally) how to convert them to M4a format since the crummy ones in there use that format, but still it won't accept it.  The files are anywhere from 100-300 kb in size.  They do run longish--anywhere from 18 seconds to 20 seconds.  Will shortening them work?  Can I do this simply myself?  I downloaded Audacity to try that and it required so many other downloads I just was ready to throw the phone out the window.  I just want a few select ringtones and I'll forget about it for a year or two.  Why is this so difficult?

2.  The button presses are so difficult.  Is that a "feature" of this phone or do I have a lemon?  Oftentimes, I try to press the "back" button and end up shutting the phone off accidentally or trying to connect online (and I don't have a data plan and certainly don't intend to do that).

3.  Speaking of the "back" button, when I back out of something I'm doing, rather than take me to the last page I was at, it backs me up all the way to the main screen.  Is that the way it is or a preference I can set up?

4.  I haven't tried out the radio yet but is that a free feature or is that part of a data plan which I don't have?

Message 1 of 5

Re: W518A please help befuddled granny

Solution to myself:

Man alive, this took me a long time to figure out.  I did finally get the ringtone to work.  I am not able to assign different ringtones to contacts, but I think that may be a feature AT&T disabled.  In any case, if anyone is interested....

I had to download a free file called Audacity.  I loaded up the sound clip in Audacity and cut it down to 18 seconds.  Then I went to TRACK and changed it from stereo to mono.  I then went to FILE and EXPORT and saved it as an MP3 file with a 48kb bitrate.  I then transferred it to the phone using the Sony Ericcson PC Suite and the phone saw it and allowed me to select it.  And it actually works. 

Hopefully, this will help anyone else with the same problem. 

Message 2 of 5
Master

Grannygamer wrote:

Just got the 518a and have spent more time than I want to trying to figure out a few "simple" things.  I would so appreciate someone's help.

1.  Ringtones.  Coming from a W350, which was so easy to set up ringtones.  The 518 just won't play any of my old ringtones.  They had been MP3's.  I figured out (finally) how to convert them to M4a format since the crummy ones in there use that format, but still it won't accept it.  The files are anywhere from 100-300 kb in size.  They do run longish--anywhere from 18 seconds to 20 seconds.  Will shortening them work?  Can I do this simply myself?  I downloaded Audacity to try that and it required so many other downloads I just was ready to throw the phone out the window.  I just want a few select ringtones and I'll forget about it for a year or two.  Why is this so difficult?

2.  The button presses are so difficult.  Is that a "feature" of this phone or do I have a lemon?  Oftentimes, I try to press the "back" button and end up shutting the phone off accidentally or trying to connect online (and I don't have a data plan and certainly don't intend to do that).

3.  Speaking of the "back" button, when I back out of something I'm doing, rather than take me to the last page I was at, it backs me up all the way to the main screen.  Is that the way it is or a preference I can set up?

4.  I haven't tried out the radio yet but is that a free feature or is that part of a data plan which I don't have?

Glad to hear you got getting some different ringtones figured out.

Re: the FM radio - it is free and an actual FM radio, so it doesn't use the internet/need a data plan.  You will need a wired headset to use the built-in FM radio feature as the headset acts as the antenna.

And I don't really have the problems you describe with the "back" button.  Are you holding it down for a moment when it takes you all the way back to the main screen rather than just one step back?  If so, try a quicker press - holding it will exit all menus, but a short press should just go one step back.

I do agree that the button presses can be a little difficult on both of my SEs due to their use of the integrated buttons - you have to get the position and direction of the press just right sometimes.  Smiley Sad

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your response, Doug.  The button press problem was, indeed, a user error (big surprise) and familiarity with the phone has resolved that.  I am even able to assign different ringtones to different contacts; again, user error there.

But I am very happy to have you confirm the radio as a free feature.  Always afraid to use something and then find next month's bill to be sky high.  Appreciate it!

Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Master

Grannygamer wrote:

Thanks for your response, Doug.  The button press problem was, indeed, a user error (big surprise) and familiarity with the phone has resolved that.  I am even able to assign different ringtones to different contacts; again, user error there.

But I am very happy to have you confirm the radio as a free feature.  Always afraid to use something and then find next month's bill to be sky high.  Appreciate it!

Glad to hear you've gotten used to the phone - I'm enjoying mine. Smiley Happy  You're welcome - and it probably goes without saying, but just make sure you're using the FM Radio from the "Tools & Applications" menu, not XM Radio.  XM Radio does use data - and it probably requires a separate subscription as well.

=^..^=
There must be a happy medium somewhere between being totally informed and blissfully unaware.

- Doug Larson

Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support